Bachmann at Warley 2017

it's-er

I am 95% certain that Bachmann have not, at any stage, announced a retool for their GWR Mogul, much as we disciples of Swindon would welcome one with open arms!...

'Cough'. Ten years ago, the then MD Graham Hubbard and Dennis Lovett were interviewed by Model Rail and indicated an intention to upgrade the split chassis mechanism models. The 43xx was in the list. How the prospects for this process looked then, and how they look now, may well be rather different. It was noticeable that the renewals were running at a fair rate immediately after this statement, but progress has slowed significantly since.

They did.  I have one.

Didn't Roco produce an HO DCC controlled rail mounted crane?

Gordon A

They did.  I have one.

I also have one, which I have just tried to sell on E-bay, with no success. Rails sold one a few weeks ago, but mine hardly got looked at. I'll give it another go sometime.

I fear that nothing much will come of either Manor or 43XX.  But I might suggest that the 43XX would be a better match with a steam crane based on the attached.  I am sure I have the wrong kind of crane!!

attachicon.gifDerailment of 6313 Southcote 1946 RMweb.jpg

attachicon.gif9306 Relaying Southcote c_RMWeb.jpg

attachicon.gifRelaying Southcote h_RMWeb.jpg

Hi

Nice photos TBH I'm not hopefull of anything of Bachmann as it seems to be taking 2 years for them too get anything out

Thanks

Alan

I beg to differ, it speaks for how long they lasted in Dai Woodhams yard.

Yes, I take your point regarding  how the Dai Woodham phenomenon seriously skewed the preservation scene. If his scrapyard had been located nearer to Doncaster, for example, just consider how different the scene would look now! It's just a massive shame that more scrap metal dealers of the period hadn't Dai's foresight. 

Yes, the Crane sounds nice, but the thread is about Bachmann in general and I wondered if the New WW1 Narrow gauge items were on display or featured, the Baldwins or stock.

Stephen.

Yes, there was a small demonstration layout in the lounge with Peggy trundling round with a few of the wagons and 590 sat in a siding.

I was able to inspect the items first hand and the wagons have a nice weight to them, with a die-cast floor. The opening doors (both sides and ends) on the ambulance vans are a nice touch.

The locos looked very nice indeed, the livery on Peggy is especially eye-catching and tempting! The shade of red used looks lovely on her, and the lining is very finely applied. Etched name/builders played are included in the box too.

Im afraid I want able to get any photos, but had a jolly good examine, so can try to answer any more questions you might have!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

If the above post is anything to go by, it beggars belief that the company would choose production of a 43XX 2-6-0 over the 'Manor'. Class size seldom has anything to do with what modelers want. Half the class of Manors has been preserved, which speaks for their popularity and they are often what the public and enthusiasts see at heritage sites. Add to that their names and they all got lined green after 1956;  two pluses that the 43XX's haven't got. However, I wonder if the choice is more about stumping someone elses wicket.

I'll go have my dinner now while everyone tells me why the 43XX is the best choice....  :whistle:

I completely agree, and was pretty astounded by it myself. You're talking to a predominantly GWR modeller.

Manors are quite well known in and around the country, and can be found on a number of preserved lines - many in steam. That potential alone along with the livery variations presented more than enough of an argument for a very profitable retool at this current point in the market, particularly with both Hawksworth and Collett coaching stock available from Hornby.

I have literally quoted what I heard. Take it as you will. We'll see in the new year whether any noises come from Barwell to that effect.

Edited by Harris_John

• RMweb Gold

Disappointed not being able to take some shots of the post war green liveried Hall due to not being a member of The Collectors Club and only a customer. Will be available in May/June 18 though.

There were four EPs of the J72 in the display cabinets, all showing a selection of detail differences for the potential variants ranging from NER through to LNER and BR built locos. There are various smokebox door darts/wheel combinations, buffer types, non and vac fitted early and late sand box configuration along with working 3 link couplings ready fitted.

Pre fitted speaker in the bunker, flickering LED firebox, positionable headlamps (four included with the loco though I think non-working) and full cab detail were all pointed out so it's definitely a step up from the groundbreaking Mainline tooling!

Given the details and features, it's going to be North of £100 but in the current market I think that's pretty reasonable, and I'll definitely be in for a couple of them, depending on livery and number combination (which are yet to be announced)

Only managed to get on photo worth sharing of those not on the spinning plinths as I only had my phone with me, but hopefully it'll be of use and interest!

attachicon.gifIMAG4440.jpg

They've certainly got the face of the loco right in my opinion, now for some other items from the same Railway family please!

Cheers

J

The lamp pattern is still wrong - can someone get a message through, please!

• RMweb Gold

I completely agree, and was pretty astounded by it myself. You're talking to a predominantly GWR modeller.

Manors are quite well known in and around the country, and can be found on a number of preserved lines - many in steam. That potential alone along with the livery variations presented more than enough of an argument for a very profitable retool at this current point in the market, particularly with both Hawksworth and Collett coaching stock available from Hornby.

I have literally quoted what I heard. Take it as you will. We'll see in the new year whether any noises come from Barwell to that effect.

They used to be... of the 9 preserved..

3 @svr, 2@ WSR, 1@ Didcot, 1@GWR 1@TSR, 1@Llangollen. All firmly in western territory, 4 operational in 2018, 2 are a little shy when it comes to spreading their wings.

It’s speculation anyway, the 43xx vs 78xx could have been n gauge or a discussion about computer games for all we know. That said, if I had a choice a Manor would be it.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

'Cough'. Ten years ago, the then MD Graham Hubbard and Dennis Lovett were interviewed by Model Rail and indicated an intention to upgrade the split chassis mechanism models. The 43xx was in the list. How the prospects for this process looked then, and how they look now, may well be rather different. It was noticeable that the renewals were running at a fair rate immediately after this statement, but progress has slowed significantly since.

It seems to have rather ground to a halt since the Ivatt Tank got a lukewarm reception due to its three figure price for a very nice up to date chassis but old tooling body when really for the price point it would have been better to have redone the whole thing.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I take your point regarding  how the Dai Woodham phenomenon seriously skewed the preservation scene. If his scrapyard had been located nearer to Doncaster, for example, just consider how different the scene would look now! It's just a massive shame that more scrap metal dealers of the period hadn't Dai's foresight. 

It wasn't foresight (at least not to begin with) it was pure economics. Cutting thousands of 16-ton minerals was faster, easier and more profitable. The steam locos could wait until he'd finished with them. By the time he had, the preservation movement had taken off and he could flog the locos without the effort of breaking them up.

It was the humble steel-bodied mineral wagon that really saved so many of our steam locos.

John

It was the humble steel-bodied mineral wagon that really saved so many of our steam locos.

You are probably right, however, it is still a shame that other scrap dealers didn't follow Woodham's example! 

Edited by Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't foresight (at least not to begin with) it was pure economics. Cutting thousands of 16-ton minerals was faster, easier and more profitable. The steam locos could wait until he'd finished with them. By the time he had, the preservation movement had taken off and he could flog the locos without the effort of breaking them up.

John

You are probably right, however, it is still a shame that other scrap dealers didn't take the same view! 

Pedantically, it was the withdrawal of steam loco's en masse that saved the steam engines in Dai Woodhams, there wasn't the need for tens of thousands unfitted of coal wagons once the source of the consumption had gone.

To paraphrase some writer bloke, the steam engine is dead, long live the steam engine.

Mike.

• Like 2

Class 90 looked nice

attachicon.gifIMG_7891.JPG

Multi coloured swap shop

attachicon.gifIMG_7893.JPG

TBH , there isn't much in the lounge except a better view of the display cases and a bottle of water . Could do with tea , coffee , nuts and maybe a roulette table

More Ryanair than emirates at present

The Class 90 looks superb and will pull me over to AC, forget about the Hornby variant as it should be consigned to the toy bin or history and had it's day about 10 years ago.

For modern image modelers like myself Bachmann, Dapol and even DJ Models are leading the way going forward with Hornby sadly falling way behind but I do like their Class 60/67's but that's about it, they are still the best for Steam aficionado's.

• RMweb Premium

I hope that picture of Mainline 47832 is just a livery sample!

Pre paid for mine, here's hoping it comes with the correct body on!

The photo's not perfectly sharp, but the roof and underframe tanks look right, and 1990 when the loco carried this livery it wasn't yet Crewe cut. What am I missing?