A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Lets see if a Manor is more popular than the 38xx as Manor class 7804 Baydon Manor sits by the up platform. It seems Dr Creasy is in the vicinity too.

attachicon.gifManor A.jpg

Copyright Chris Nevard / Model Rail.

I don’t think we have been introduced to the signalman.

He is shouting ‘ I’ve already told you not to park on the pavement, doc.’ so he’s a bit of a jobsworth.

I think the paint job on the Manor looks better under your lighting rig

• RMweb Premium

The Gloucestershire Regiment nameplate on the Castle loco was one of my favourites as it was very big and impressive and had a badge on it like wot MIB has posteded.

I remember seeing that at North Road circa 1960/61/2 waiting to go east with some big express.

Philth

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think we have been introduced to the signalman.

He is shouting ‘ I’ve already told you not to park on the pavement, doc.’ so he’s a bit of a jobsworth.

I think the paint job on the Manor looks better under your lighting rig

Sounds a bit like the signalman at Culgaith, who wouldn't even let me get the words out of my mouth that I also worked for Railtrack, so keen was he to send me and Not Jeremy on our way, back in 1994.

• RMweb Premium

One last thought on Gloucester, it was the last shed for Clun Castle, in 1965. It did a round trip down to Cardiff in the morning, where I could see it out of the office window. You don’t know what you got til it’s gone, and all that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My train used to reverse there once every four weeks back in the mid-nineties. Actually it's a fair bet it also reversed there the days I wasn't on board, but I can't swear to that. I joined the train at Swindon, was en route Derby. 

If it didn't, it would have taken a long time to get to Birmingham (which is, I assume, where you changed).

• RMweb Gold

Did you cut his wires CK?

I should have made some mildly disparaging remark about the quality of his chutney sandwiches, but I was less forthright in those days.

I see the Pee Co. thread has stabilised a bit, now that the gentleman from Spain has withdrawn.

Is it the Gloucesters who have something about their cap badges for back to back battles in Korea?

Yes they were the only regiment allowed to wear a cap badge on the rear of their caps, Won at the battle of the Imjin river where they held off far superior forces, ultimately resorting to throwing Spam Cans (not those green ones) at the enemy, to conserve what little ammunition they had.

TONY

ps had my Flea Buy buy arrive, described as hesitant runner, it's a smooth as my other one. Missing a couple of steps and one side drain cocks. Any suggestions

how / where to go for a solution? (I consider this quite a bargain at £26)

• RMweb Gold

There was a very nice looking 7mm mogul on the Heljan stand.

attachicon.gifDSCN2693 (2).JPG

Rob, a belated thanks for the Warley photos. Very useful for those of us stuck over here in the fogs with the Swedes and Norwegians.

PS: That Heljan 43xx looks pretty good. Do you think they take wives at the pawn shop?

• RMweb Premium

Is it the Gloucesters who have something about their cap badges for back to back battles in Korea?

The "Glorious Glosters"  ( often called this and spelled like this in the Army) fought back to back to the last man on a number of occasions in history, not just Korea.  Of the British "County" Regiments they had an impressive Regimental History.  "Glosters" originated from shortened unit titles for military telegraphic traffic.

They merged with the DERR (Wilts and Berkshires) to  become what was known as the "M4 Regiment" and then soon after everyone south of Brum and West of Town became "The Rifles"

• Like 2