Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photos of the NYMR. Very nostalgic, and you are quite right some things have changed and others have not! I would love to see a high quality RTR model of the J27 in NER finish. It would complement the Q6 so perfectly. The J27 looks so good in photo, C1252.

And a great set of photos of Bristol Temple Meads station. Again all very nostalgic and I don't know where the time has gone!

In the last photo, the 65 of 47 653 look deeper than the other numbers. I wonder if that was the case or is it an optical illusion?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Guest B Exam

Hi, Dave. I love the photos of the NYMR. Very nostalgic, and you are quite right some things have changed and others have not! I would love to see a high quality RTR model of the J27 in NER finish. It would complement the Q6 so perfectly. The J27 looks so good in photo, C1252.

And a great set of photos of Bristol Temple Meads station. Again all very nostalgic and I don't know where the time has gone!

In the last photo, the 65 of 47 653 look deeper than the other numbers. I wonder if that was the case or is it an optical illusion?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Crewe Works had a penchance for using slightly larger numbers on their large logo repaints. It usually affected the numbers 5,6 & 7!

A few from Bristol now, with most taken in July 1989.  Once again most are from a film which did not keep well.

attachicon.gifa Bristol Temple Meads Class 108 set B963 53613 and 54191 1st July 89 C12101a.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads Class 108 set B963 53613 and 54191 1st July 89 C12101a

David

Oh no. A Bristol B900 set. The bane of my life at Hereford, (and most other Hereford drivers too). Underpowered and poorly maintained. We used to have these sets come up to Hereford to work the Hereford Cardiff services, such was the strange way DMU diagrams worked. I've run out of fuel with one, despite it coming fresh off Canton depot. So underpowered that I actually overtook one between Newport and Cardiff with a 37/9 and a 1400ton steel train. Once when going into a strong headwind between Newport and Cardiff (again), was unable the get enough speed up to keep in 4th, on the flat! Certainly glad when they finally took took pity on them and withdrew them.

Paul J.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Sheffield and Shirebrook. In that first photo, it looks to me as if the second Mk1 is a very early FO. There is no centre vestibule, and the toilets are at the far end. It is an open coach for there are only a small number of vents on the roof.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Sheffield and Shirebrook. In that first photo, it looks to me as if the second Mk1 is a very early FO. There is no centre vestibule, and the toilets are at the far end. It is an open coach for there are only a small number of vents on the roof.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hmmmm.....

Looks to me like door 8 bays door loo

Wouldn't that make it a diagram 56 RSO? IIRC didn't all the first opens only have 7 bays and the loos inside the door rather than outside on this little beauty?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm.....

Looks to me like door 8 bays door loo

Wouldn't that make it a diagram 56 RSO? IIRC didn't all the first opens only have 7 bays and the loos inside the door rather than outside on this little beauty?

Phil

Hi Phil

Or a diagram 92 TSO.

Checking the Hugh Longworth coaches book, all the RSOs had been withdrawn by January 1977. The TSOs lasted until 1983, with most going in the late 70s.

Love the picture of the 08 going to the wagon works, really modelable, does anyone know if there's any photo's of he wagon works anywhere? just done a google search and couldn't find anything.

Steve.

Love the picture of the 08 going to the wagon works, really modelable, does anyone know if there's any photo's of he wagon works anywhere? just done a google search and couldn't find anything.

Steve.

Here's a Google Earth overview:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Langwith+Junction,+Shirebrook,+Mansfield/@53.2103979,-1.2086941,289m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487997fe2bba0c59:0x1c4b2abbd2b0f337!8m2!3d53.2132283!4d-1.2167561?hl=en

and their web-site:- http://www.whdavis.co.uk/index.php/

• RMweb Gold

Steve.

They aren't keen on photography in the works.

Last time I was in there the branch up to the works was massively overgrown despite it still being open. Lucky for us East Midlands were on strike so rather than propelling out we drove out then propelled round to warsop and went north via the North curve

• Like 1

That photo of tinsley, the line on the bridge in the foreground is now being upgraded for the late running tram/train project to Rotherham. The line in the background/to the left is the super tram to meadow hall, the 3rd line of the triangle is long gone, and a bus link road is being built there, the cooling towers were demolished years ago, but the viaduct for the m1 is still there, even though they seem to be rebuilding and re-enforcing it since the day it was built.

• Like 1

That photo of tinsley, the line on the bridge in the foreground is now being upgraded for the late running tram/train project to Rotherham. The line in the background/to the left is the super tram to meadow hall, the 3rd line of the triangle is long gone, and a bus link road is being built there, the cooling towers were demolished years ago, but the viaduct for the m1 is still there, even though they seem to be rebuilding and re-enforcing it since the day it was built.

Minor correction - I think plan A might have been for the tram-train to use that bridge in the foreground. Now, they're working on a linking chord that runs under the M1 viaduct, so that tram-trains coming from Sheffield use the Meadowhall South/Tinsley tram stop, carry on over the far leftmost bridge (via the big red arrow) in that pic (C4456):

post-6971-0-82641800-1469536355.jpg

then diverge, going sharp right under the viaduct onto the new chord, joining the line towards Rotherham roughly at the site of the former Tinsley E Junction. 

See also the thread over at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56672-tram-trains-for-sheffield-to-rotherham/?p=1773682

(post 18 in particular) for sketch maps and photos.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photo's of Steeton and Silsden. The first one of  308144 reminds me of when they were in service and, on Leeds City station, I put my head through the door window of one, and then it started to move off. I quickly got my head out of the window! I think they were probably the last carriages, of any kind, that I experienced that were running on Gresley bogies whilst still in everyday service on BR.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Unusual place for a signal ('stop' and 'distant' on the same post) in C6245 - hard up against the end of the on ramp of the platform with the main station building. What would be its function there? Can't see in that picture a starter signal at the 'normal' end of the platform...

Edited by talisman56

Unusual place for a signal ('stop' and 'distant' on the same post) in C6245 - hard up against the end of the on ramp of the platform with the main station building. What would be its function there? Can't see in that picture a starter signal at the 'normal' end of the platform...

Looks like the stop signal was Skipton North's Starter with Skipton South's distant underneath. Also further down the post is a stop signal arm facing the other way. Probably one of North's home signals... If you look at the far end of the platform you can just make out Skipton south's home signal on a large bracket structure...

HTH

JF

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the stop signal was Skipton North's Starter with Skipton South's distant underneath. Also further down the post is a stop signal arm facing the other way. Probably one of North's home signals... If you look at the far end of the platform you can just make out Skipton south's home signal on a large bracket structure...

HTH

JF

Correct - the rear viewed signal is for wrong direction departures.

The bracket once had a signal for the bay and splitting distants on the main - but those days had gone.