Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

• RMweb Premium

All we can do now is wait for the inevitable and hope that a company like Slaters or Peco are ready to jump in and buy up the assets.

Weren't there some legal issues with Coopercraft's acquisition of Slaters 4mm range? Were they ever resolved?

• RMweb Premium

Weren't there some legal issues with Coopercraft's acquisition of Slaters 4mm range? Were they ever resolved?

Yes. No. Slater's are still supplying POWsides with kits.

More likely someone thought there was a business opportunity and didn't have a clue about running a business.

Jason

I would agree in part, however the plant wholesale business which trades from the same address is in good financial shape with a healthy credit limit and a high Delphi score (source: Experian business report). This would suggest that the owner is quite capable of running a modest business, but rather it is a lack of technical knowledge, specifically that required to maintain the production equipment which is ultimately the cause of the present situation. 

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

I think that might only apply if you paid him directly and not via PayPal or Worldpay. They are deemed to be who you paid by credit card companies usually, which means such transactions don't usually have the normal credit card protection you'd expect.

Not so with Worldpay, they are a payment gateway enabling the vendor take card payments with the various card schemes. The transaction is still between your card issuer and the vendor and normal credit card protection rules apply. You can request an RFI form from your issuing bank and try and get a chargeback issued.

The difference with Paypal is that you have an account with them that is funded by your CC. The transaction for the goods is then between your PP account and the vendor, hence CC companies not wanting to know anything about it and PP having their own chargeback system.

The difference with Paypal is that you have an account with them that is funded by your CC. The transaction for the goods is then between your PP account and the vendor, hence CC companies not wanting to know anything about it and PP having their own chargeback system.

That's not true, now, and hasn't been for a few years.

I will try them anyway - but am surprised if they are getting any money from Dunn for a web site which has not been updated since 2014 (last list of exhibitions he was attending).

Hopefully event organisers will see these posts and act accordingly.

The website might not have been updated (although the copyright years seem to be showing 2017) but the cooper-craft.co.uk domain was renewed in January this year for two years so whatever is going on could be going on until January 2019.

https://www.whois.com/whois/cooper-craft.co.uk

(although the copyright years seem to be showing 2017)

Those are invariably programmed to automatically increment to the current year.

Similarly the domain name will be renewed automatically by the web host, until they also fail to get paid.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.  Are you saying that all transactions via PayPal (using a credit card) would now be treated in the same way as a direct purchase from the vendor (using a credit card) and also offer the same protection?

Interesting.  Are you saying that all transactions via PayPal (using a credit card) would now be treated in the same way as a direct purchase from the vendor (using a credit card) and also offer the same protection?

No exactly, people with  PP account are given a choice of making payments from their PP account, a linked bank account or a linked card account. Without a PP account, PP acts as a normal card gateway but you are given the option of signing up for a PP account.

No exactly, people with  PP account are given a choice of making payments from their PP account, a linked bank account or a linked card account. Without a PP account, PP acts as a normal card gateway but you are given the option of signing up for a PP account.

On the two or three times I have had an issue with an eBay purchase paid by Paypal the problems were all resolved within days, this was when eBay owned Paypal though

The website might not have been updated (although the copyright years seem to be showing 2017) but the cooper-craft.co.uk domain was renewed in January this year for two years so whatever is going on could be going on until January 2019.

https://www.whois.com/whois/cooper-craft.co.uk

Note that the "Registrant Contact" is not Paul Dunn, whose name also does not appear. 

So any action against Paul Dunn may not be recognised by the domain provider, who therefore may not  be willing to take any action.

• RMweb Premium

But as a significant majority of people have a PayPal account then they're not just acting as a payment gateway, and the point previously made that your credit card provider is unlikely to help is valid - the card company know only that they've paid PayPal, who in turn are paying the vendor. With Worldpay/Paypoint they're just payment gateways as has been said as the card company are effectively paying the vendor direct.

I'd also go to PayPal in event of an issue (assuming you have a PayPal account), if they fail to resolve I'd go to your credit card company for a section 75/chargeback, depending on the value, but there's no guarantee they'll help as they've successfully completed the transaction with the vendor (PayPal).

If you've paid via PayPal with a debit card then again I'd go to PayPal, failing that I'd try a chargeback, but you're on slightly more ropey ground and you've not got section 75 protection. That said, I work for a finance company and we can receive chargebacks from the bank up to 18 months after the initial transaction.

Basically... pay direct on a credit card, or pay via PayPal with whatever means you want, but it's not a given you'll be able to escalate any claim beyond them.

• RMweb Gold

So it is true for people who do have an account, as the account will be funded by the linked card. It's only "not true" when not using a PP account and using them as a payment gateway. :)

• RMweb Gold

But as a significant majority of people have a PayPal account 

Can you qualify that.

A few weeks ago during a conversation about PP it became obvious that among a group of 20 there were only 3 of us that used PP, although one of those 3 had 4 accounts across several businesses.

• RMweb Premium

Can you qualify that.

A few weeks ago during a conversation about PP it became obvious that among a group of 20 there were only 3 of us that used PP, although one of those 3 had 4 accounts across several businesses.

No. I can't, in just the way you can't either. 

The point is still valid, you can be pedantic with my choice of language if you want, but the rather more salient point is that knowing where you stand significantly reduces your risk of losing out financially.

Edited by njee20

There is a lot of ignorance about PP. Having used it from time Ebay took over, then sold it off, I have had no problems. PP is not covered legally by the same financial transaction rules as a credit card , but if you have a problem, you just put a request for not receival of goods. PP then attempt to contact the other party, and if they don't get a reply(quite common if thre person has problems), then PP refund the payment.

I would add that you have to be careful with security, and never respond to emails about PP or any other payment system. Some might be genuine, but many are bogus.

Like any system PP is not perfect. I find it frustrating having to deal with both UK pounds and US dolars(Shapeways), but the benefits of a system that allows me to trade worldwide, outweigh any little oddities. 

I don't know how it works,but I have seen some traders using PP as an order system. As it has no ability to check if an item is in stock, I am not so keen on them, but at least PP willrefund if a problem. It is not just PP type order systems far too many use systems which don't check if item in stock. from my own IT background, this is very poor design, but if manageds will just about work, as long as the trader/mnufacturer is prepared to stay on the treadmill! I prefer to be in control, so anything that starts to take over too much, puts me off the whole idea.

So it is true for people who do have an account, as the account will be funded by the linked card. It's only "not true" when not using a PP account and using them as a payment gateway. :)

There are usually a number choices that the customer can make:-

Use the site's own choice of gateway.

Use Paypal as a gateway with an unlinked card

Use a Paypal account or a linked account/card as a source