Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

This thread has drifted so far from the Bachman releases that they are almost lost in the mists of time.

The merits or otherwise of certain 'real' locomotives could/should be discussed elsewhere. This might allow more balanced thinking to be posted and those that have studied the particular loco or its' workings and history in detail can present their case(s) in a more appropriate environment.

Personally I couldn't give a to## if a Jersey Lilley smelled of flowers or could not pull hardly anything downhill with a tail wind. What I want to read and discuss on here is what Bachman can do for us, the other 95% of modellers that can't be arsed to be on RMW and the Company, to further our great hobby. I'd even enjoy a bit of "I do hope this means that the next (product) will add to this (whatever) range".

A polite request here to get back to discussing the 2018 announcements before I kick this PC down the stairs.

Thank you

Phil

YAY!, Bulleids

This thread has drifted so far from the Bachman releases that they are almost lost in the mists of time.

The merits or otherwise of certain 'real' locomotives could/should be discussed elsewhere. This might allow more balanced thinking to be posted and those that have studied the particular loco or its' workings and history in detail can present their case(s) in a more appropriate environment.

Personally I couldn't give a to## if a Jersey Lilley smelled of flowers or could not pull hardly anything downhill with a tail wind. What I want to read and discuss on here is what Bachman can do for us, the other 95% of modellers that can't be arsed to be on RMW and the Company, to further our great hobby. I'd even enjoy a bit of "I do hope this means that the next (product) will add to this (whatever) range".

A polite request here to get back to discussing the 2018 announcements before I kick this PC down the stairs.

Thank you

Phil

I quite agree and can only apologise for my brief comment about the 'Jersey Lilys', it was meant as an aside only, not  to divert the main topic. I had no idea it would encourage an inflammatory response inciting a small riot of sorts.

Nick

This was put up on the Bachmann N gauge on their site.

"Following our recent 2017 range announcements, we would like to inform you that our 2017 prices will come into effect as of the 1st February. This comes eleven months after our 2016 prices were announced, in a year where our prices were held despite the Post-Brexit Sterling exchange rates falling significantly. 

Our price increases for 2017 have been held to a minimum, with 72% of our Branchline products either being held or being reduced in price, with an average of only a 6% rise in price. We have also been able to hold, or reduce our prices on 64% of our Graham Farish products with only a 4% average price increase where absolutely necessary. 

We've worked very hard to keep any price increases to an absolute minimum in the current economic climate and to enable us to continue to offer the highest standards of design and quality that you have come to expect from our products".

If the average is 4% price rise, and 64% of the prices are fixed, then the ones that have gone up in price (probably the new models) would average an 11% rise.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=349

Edited by darren01

Guest theonlydt

This was put up on the Bachmann N gauge on their site.

"Following our recent 2017 range announcements, we would like to inform you that our 2017 prices will come into effect as of the 1st February. This comes eleven months after our 2016 prices were announced, in a year where our prices were held despite the Post-Brexit Sterling exchange rates falling significantly. 

Our price increases for 2017 have been held to a minimum, with 72% of our Branchline products either being held or being reduced in price, with an average of only a 6% rise in price. We have also been able to hold, or reduce our prices on 64% of our Graham Farish products with only a 4% average price increase where absolutely necessary. 

We've worked very hard to keep any price increases to an absolute minimum in the current economic climate and to enable us to continue to offer the highest standards of design and quality that you have come to expect from our products".

If the average is 4% price rise, and 64% of the prices are fixed, then the ones that have gone up in price (probably the new models) would average an 11% rise.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=349

That seems like a pretty fair creep in price given the cluster**** that is Brexit (lower value of the pound, uncertainty, tighter controls on corporate financing due to uncertainty etc etc).

Given their cost inputs, I'm actually impressed. I've not done the math on Hornby prices, but given that some of the stuff like Sentinels has moved 40% higher, my gut would be that Bachmann have held the line more effectively.

Prices were going up well before the Brexit referendum year on year for Branchline OO products.

It is disengenious to suggest otherwise and blame leaving the EU as a primary causation.

Wage inflation was the overiding factor in these rises.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

That seems like a pretty fair creep in price given the cluster**** that is Brexit (lower value of the pound, uncertainty, tighter controls on corporate financing due to uncertainty etc etc).

Given their cost inputs, I'm actually impressed. I've not done the math on Hornby prices, but given that some of the stuff like Sentinels has moved 40% higher, my gut would be that Bachmann have held the line more effectively.

Hmm that is the 2017 price PR. We are in 2018 now. I'd suggest this PR is for 1st Feb 2017 seeing July 2016 is some 19 months ago. 

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Premium

I was really hoping for a Royal Scotsman Class 66 this year to save me repainting one. Good to see that this years announcements are modest though. Might help to finally get some of the backlog under control.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann are running a series of showcase events for the model trade - see their page here:

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2018/01/Bachmann-showcase-2018/

Scrolling down, Phil Parker has a 30 minute 'Bachmann Trade Day 2018' video, which is quite interesting. It only has a few close ups of new models, right at the beginning and at end: the rest of the video is much more general, and doesn't have close ups of new models. There are no close ups of the new breakdown crane - I just mention that in case anyone spends 30 minutes watching this expecting to see the crane! Nevertheless, it is interesting, and suggests trading in the model railway sector is currently buoyant.

I have no connection with this - I've just come across it by chance (though if Bachmann want to invite me to their Edinburgh event, I'd be delighted!).

John Storey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems at first glance that the locos hitting the eye-watering £200+ mark are those that have DCC sound fitted as standard. Not using DCC at the moment I'm hoping this doesn't become the standard!

Large locos with factory-fitted DCC sound broke through the £200 line years back (Hornby Crewkerne £240-ish on a list price of £260+).

On small/medium locos, the sound now seems to account for around 50% of the price, so we have the choice of one with or two without..........

"New" technology generally plummets in cost after three or four years as economies of scale kick in and in order to expand its appeal beyond the money-no-object early adopters.

Whist we have Hornby's budget/watered-down TTS models, there doesn't yet appear to be any evidence of it happening in higher-spec DCC sound.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

It seems at first glance that the locos hitting the eye-watering £200+ mark are those that have DCC sound fitted as standard. Not using DCC at the moment I'm hoping this doesn't become the standard!

Matey, when I worked for a big Model Shop in the South over 20 years ago they were a main dealer for a top producer of Continental HO stock. Some loco's then were priced at more than £200 and they were not DCC. We have been very lucky in this country and still are really and yes, I understand that £200+ is getting challenging when you don't have an income that can support such purchases, but the quality of models now is easily as good as these Continental models were back then.  

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Matey, when I worked for a big Model Shop in the South over 20 years ago they were a main dealer for a top producer of Continental HO stock. Some loco's then were priced at more than £200 and they were not DCC. We have been very lucky in this country and still are really and yes, I understand that £200+ is getting challenging when you don't have an income that can support such purchases, but the quality of models now is easily as good as these Continental models were back then.  

Phil

Quite. The HOm 2-10-2 I have just purchased, which is only DCC ready, cost over £300, is less than 6"long, has HO-size details, obviously. OO models remain cheap by comparison.