DJ Models Announcement 01/05/19

RJennings

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep posts on topic. Rubbish will be removed.

1 minute ago, Markwj said:

I agree well done to Dave for putting his own money in however no one held a gun to his head to do this -he could have walked away and done something else less risky. And no I haven't remortgaged my house to make my fortune in model railways but that is not where my skills are. If my comments came across as vitriol then I apologise.

Anyway back to the announcement of an announcement!

Maybe my laungauge was a bit hard, but when the number of comments that I quoted all have a similar critical bent over the way someone is running a business, it all seems a bit sharp. My comment was aimed at the collective rather than the individuals.

Announcements of announcements are in any case marketing froth

A discussion thread about an announcement of an announcement (of nobody knows what kind) posted on another site is inevitably froth, squared

Edited by Ravenser
To correct typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Well, no one is forced to buy his models. If you dont like them, dont buy them.

But that's the issue you can't buy them seen in the shops we have crowdfunded on blind faith.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think he does have an image problem.   Lots of announcements that never see the light of day . His business affairs , including lack of posting of accounts , freely discussed .  Factories that he's fallen out with etc . It all adds up and paints a picture which is why I think there is a degree of cynicism .   For sure he's enthusiastic and has designed some good models , and I wish him all the luck in the world, but I think he needs to walk before he can run.

Lets see what May 1st brings , but I have to say I think we are all generally jaded by announcements of announcements . For goodness sake announce and be done with it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

I just read this and though, with a sense of weary sadness, ‘Dave, Dave Dave. What where you thinking of?’

I’m sure he’s a decent bloke trying hard to make some good models. But his communication let’s him down. There was no need for that last sentence about ne’er do wells and libel. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

As I see it, Dave has listened to criticism and is trying to do things better (not posting here for example) but people are not letting him move on. 

All this angst about his announcement, which was made a lot closer to the actual announcement than many...

Sure he is not perfect yet, but it is time to give him a break. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Is the announcement of the announcement embargoed to all except those who have subscribed to it , until after the announcement itself? 

Well I am one of the crowd-funders and have received the square root of naff all correspondence so I am going to say no. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

As I see it, Dave has listened to criticism and is trying to do things better (not posting here for example) but people are not letting him move on. 

All this angst about his announcement, which was made a lot closer to the actual announcement than many...

Sure he is not perfect yet, but it is time to give him a break. 

Roy

Actions speak louder than words so lets have some of these already announced projects completed before announcing more, I am a big fan of DJ but even my patience is being tried by the lack of (reported) progress on many of the ongoing projects.

As one of those quoted it was the wording rather than the content that amused me. My advice to Dave and put forward in a supportive way would be to run things past a couple of people before going to print.

Stu

(Who has a couple of DJM boxes in the stash)

• Agree 1

These days, there is little point in sticking a stake in the ground unless you can follow up quickly.

Other manufacturers have shown that they have no constraints to duplicating an announced product even if the history of duplication itself often does more harm to both parties than benefit.

DJM surrendered some ground after sticking a stake into it (Q6, Class 59 for example) while tried hard to hold onto others (class 71, class 92 twice). The issue is - unless he now has found a factory with fast turnaround - his projects appear very slow to progress. This means that another make won't think twice about doing the same if they believe they can beat him and Crowdfunders (which by nature are slower than normal projects due to time to get people on board and payments made etc.) becoming flustered or disapointed. The last few crowdfunding projects announced look to be proving how hard it is to get these off the ground (whether that is now or in general, we don't know).

He said at the start of the year that he was working on projects contracted for others, so I guess/hope that some other third party is putting money into a project with DJM as I believe this is the best opportunity to get a new project/annoucement off the ground.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

He said at the start of the year that he was working on projects contracted for others, so I guess/hope that some other third party is putting money into a project with DJM as I believe this is the best opportunity to get a new project/annoucement off the ground.

I too wish Dave well and hope he can get his projects to fruition. I will never touch crowdfunding as a matter of principle, so i hope anything new is funded some other way and we can order/purchase once we see the final product.

However, if Dave is working on something for someone else (such as a shop) isn't the right to announce the project (and keep us all informed of progress later on) with the commissioner not Dave? So perhaps something else?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomJ said:

I just read this and though, with a sense of weary sadness, ‘Dave, Dave Dave. What where you thinking of?’

I’m sure he’s a decent bloke trying hard to make some good models. But his communication let’s him down. There was no need for that last sentence about ne’er do wells and libel. 

100% agree - it's in DJ Model's interests to present the look of a professional outfit (however small) and talk of slander and libel really doesn't help.

26 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

As one of those quoted it was the wording rather than the content that amused me. My advice to Dave and put forward in a supportive way would be to run things past a couple of people before going to print.

Stu

(Who has a couple of DJM boxes in the stash)

Again, 100% agree - not just in terms of the tone of press releases, but also for general proof-reading: sadly, the spelling and sloppiness of wording in some of the product newsletters that I've read again doesn't help to project the image of a professional concern.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I do hope he is doing a class AM6 EMU, class 306 to our younger viewers.

Prefer an AM10 or AM4 or at a push a 323.

All of which of course have triggered a rendition of "Believe It If You Like" by the in-house band...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have to say, the way he gets people talking about his business is outstanding.  I think the day (international workers day) implies something communist, so i'm going to go for a Romanian Class 56 or Kestrel.  again.  again.

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping that, as a follow-up to the excellent DJM class 71and in a huge cloud of irony, Dave will announce a model of a Hornby*. ;-)

*Bulleid / Raworth C0-C0 DC electric locomotive for those of you unfamiliar with the nickname.