Tony Burgess

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just can't get the staff anymore...

spacer.png

spacer.png

:whistle:

Jason

But they are wearing eye protection glasses - good safety practice.

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RAF96 said:

The picture is of a hand modified prototype for the R7274 decoder. How the retailers have gotten hold of it I do not know, but I can assure you this is definitely not the production standard.

As I pointed out earlier it is/was the image used on the Hornby website so maybe the used it from there.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Distinct lack of visible ESD precautions all round while we're at it.

You can see the disappointment in the guy's eyes, he was expecting to be modelling swimwear, surrounded by supermodels ;-)

28 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I think the bloke has given up on his.:)

He can't figure out why it's not working. Nor realise that it's just as well that it isn't!

7 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Is it me?

Should they be holding those soldering irons like that - or do they have invisible asbestos gloves on?

No, it's not just you. That's the whole reason that the photos were posted in the first place, and whay there's been so much merriment since.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

For God’s sake, please don’t anybody show this to Tony Wright ...

I believe the photographs have been mentioned in Tony's thread before. To be honest they were the first I found on Google. Loads more examples out there. :laugh:

I think the girl in the purple top is the best because at first glance she looks like she knows what she's doing. Apart from how to hold an iron that is.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

The thing is, all the soldered components on THAT side of the motherboard will be SMDs, anything appropriate for irons with bits as big as those are wired through the board and soldered on the other side:banghead:

It'd smell like burned crispy bacon in that lab!

The motto:  Never trust the artistic director...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

The thing is, all the soldered components on THAT side of the motherboard will be SMDs, anything appropriate for irons with bits as big as those are wired through the board and soldered on the other side:banghead:

It'd smell like burned crispy bacon in that lab!

The motto:  Never trust the artistic director...

Never mind the shutterstock rubbish, even the better version of the Hornby 4 pin decoder looks awful. Definitely one to be avoided, particularly as I've never encountered a 4 pin decoder before.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I believe the photographs have been mentioned in Tony's thread before. To be honest they were the first I found on Google. Loads more examples out there. :laugh:

I think the girl in the purple top is the best because at first glance she looks like she knows what she's doing. Apart from how to hold an iron that is.

Some people might suggest that she learnt from an expert - aka "Mr. Hot Fingers" - as allegedly seen in one edition of a certain, well known, mainstream model railway magazine.

Of course, I couldn't possibly comment (except, of course, to point out that no malice is intended in this comment).

It goes without saying that, if anyone should take offence, I'd wish to put on record my apologies for this - and invite any site moderators to delete this post if they do choose ... .

Huw.

• Funny 4

It has been observed that the overwhelming majority of railway modellers are old men. It must be the case because they notice how the lady in green is holding her soldering iron. My last flickering flames caused a considerable delay is spotting what was wrong in the picture.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Those people soldering make me shudder... when I was in year 7 a classmate picked up a soldering iron whilst clearing up at the end of a lesson... by grabbing it by the bare metal. She thought it was switched off (and they'd all supposedly been off for 30 mins) but some dozy sod hadnt turned his off at the wall. Once smelt, the distintive aroma of flesh laminated to hot metal never leaves you. She was too in shock to even scream, which is a horribly lingering detail.

Still, gave me a nice horror story to scare The Youths with when I was a DT techie 20 years later :) No year 7's dicked around with the irons after that...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Can happen to the best of them.  A manufacturer image.  Note the angle of the return crank on the centre driving wheel.  Obviously the crank mount bolt is loose allowing the crank to drop down. 

32-178A.jpg.c872449a76a38fa182edf607561c0252.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

No doubt an image the marketing dept picked for the website - perhaps because they were fed up with being criticised for posting computer generated images?:rolleyes:

Then they need to get a job they can do......;)

• Like 1

On 22/04/2020 at 09:45, Sarahagain said:

The Hornby 0-6-0 locos, Railroad type, have used 4-pin decoders for some time now...

Not really a new technology... ;)

3 hours ago, johnd said:

Now whats due from Hornby that takes these decoders ?

On 23/04/2020 at 06:50, GWR-fan said:

Can happen to the best of them.  A manufacturer image.  Note the angle of the return crank on the centre driving wheel.  Obviously the crank mount bolt is loose allowing the crank to drop down. 

32-178A.jpg.c872449a76a38fa182edf607561c0252.jpg

Hi,

Photography is sometimes not done by modellers.

A mate was having his layout photographed for the Railway Modeller and the photographer wanted to take the photos with minimal depth of field.

My mate pointed out this was not how things were done and it would make things look - well, toy like. I can't remember if stern Steve was phoned but sanity was restored.

We need another Brian Monahan.

Take care.

Nick

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, NIK said:

Photography is sometimes not done by modellers.

A mate was having his layout photographed for the Railway Modeller and the photographer wanted to take the photos with minimal depth of field.

My mate pointed out this was not how things were done and it would make things look - well, toy like. I can't remember if stern Steve was phoned but sanity was restored.

We need another Brian Monahan.

Feature layout photography is very rarely carried out by modellers - when you see some of the horrors submitted to magazines you'd understand why (missed the loco, out of focus - they can fix that can't they?)

You don't say who the photographer for RM was, but I know the normal ones and they wouldn't need to be shown "how things were done" so I wonder who it was?. I doubt anyone has shot with minimal depth of field for many years. Most of us focus stack to avoid it.  I'm sure even Brian Monahan would do this nowadays.

• Agree 1