Jump to content

EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.


AY Mod
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Both the N and OO gauge JIA wagons now have a release date of Aug/Sep.

 

OO gauge PBA wagons are due Jun/Jul.

Were these items supposed to be released within three months of the Winter announcement, similar to what should happen with Bachmann's own announcements ?

Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just bought one of the Beattie well tanks. IIRC this has taken me nine years, because I saw one at Ally Pally in 2012 and decided to defer because I was out of work ("between jobs" in contractor terms). Then the model was sold out and then I overlooked the next three batches.

 

Anyway, if I have a point to make it is this. To fit the decoder, you lift off the smokebox door (a finger nail works), put in the decoder, and put back the smokebox door. The first loco I have ever chipped without having to use tools to dismantle. The first loco I may never need to take to pieces.

 

Surely, this kind of approach ought to become a standard practice? Even if this adds a few pounds to the works cost price of the model, surely there will be less damage during DCC fitting and fewer models returned for repair or replacement. Then again, I don't buy many 00 models but I'm guessing this hasn't caught on?

 

PS. The model I received from Kernow seems to be perfect.

 

- Richard.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Anyway, if I have a point to make it is this. To fit the decoder, you lift off the smokebox door (a finger nail works), put in the decoder, and put back the smokebox door. The first loco I have ever chipped without having to use tools to dismantle. The first loco I may never need to take to pieces.

 

Surely, this kind of approach ought to become a standard practice? Even if this adds a few pounds to the works cost price of the model, surely there will be less damage during DCC fitting and fewer models returned for repair or replacement. Then again, I don't buy many 00 models but I'm guessing this hasn't caught on?

 

- Richard.


Hi Richard,

 

The 02 has the same style of fitment as does the J94 (both DJM and EFE versions), I think the Kernow 1361 and Hattons 14xx also have it (although I can’t remember exactly), you could say it was one of the few good things to come from Dave Jones.

 

Dapol have refined it even further with their Mogul, and plan to use it on their 2-6-2T. I believe they also use it in their O gauge locos.

 

I’m sure that there are other models which use it, but can’t remember at the moment. I think it’s a fantastic idea and should be continued.

 

Simon

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, St. Simon said:


Hi Richard,

 

The 02 has the same style of fitment as does the J94 (both DJM and EFE versions), I think the Kernow 1361 and Hattons 14xx also have it (although I can’t remember exactly), you could say it was one of the few good things to come from Dave Jones.

 

Dapol have refined it even further with their Mogul, and plan to use it on their 2-6-2T. I believe they also use it in their O gauge locos.

 

I’m sure that there are other models which use it, but can’t remember at the moment. I think it’s a fantastic idea and should be continued.

 

Simon

 

Talking to Andy at Dapol (when we gave him the Gwyn Humphries Award for it), the idea seems to have originated with him as the full-fat version now in Dapol's latest models, ie the slide-out tray behind the smokebox door.  Andy suggested it to Dave and the stripped-down version on your Beattie was applied to all DJ Models steamers.  Andy seemed bemused that Dave hadn't gone for the full system.....

 

The EFE J94 has a slightly smaller smokebox door than the DJM, I have both and it is less easy to get lots of bits through an EFE smokebox door for sound or stay-alive.  Is this also true of the Beattie?

 

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

The EFE J94 has a slightly smaller smokebox door than the DJM, I have both and it is less easy to get lots of bits through an EFE smokebox door for sound or stay-alive.  Is this also true of the Beattie?

 

Les

 

I put a Zimo 617N into my Beattie. This is longer than the factory blanking plug and I felt something of a sense of relief as it worked its way in far enough to get the smokebox door back on. I don't think there is room for a stay alive - not enough height or depth. The Zimo 617N is very small (by my standards) too.

 

- Richard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2021 at 20:37, Les1952 said:

The EFE J94 has a slightly smaller smokebox door than the DJM, I have both and it is less easy to get lots of bits through an EFE smokebox door for sound or stay-alive.  Is this also true of the Beattie?

 

I have taken my Beattie to bits to see if I can add some extra weight. I don't know about the size of sound decoders but I cannot see any room to put a scrap of lead in a useful place:

P1030468a.JPG.0f8c2a307e3f2f0d16e0e7c1f2f7d852.JPG

 

The complete model has its centre of gravity a few mm behind the centre axle. If you were to remove the block of steel between the cylinders to make some space this would put more traction onto the rear axle but I'm not sure whether the pony wheels would stay on the track.

 

I have just stumbled upon the video by 'Sam' discussed here last November. To my mind the model is just about perfect. If the boiler were to be diecast, the centre of gravity would shift too far forwards. If the cab were to be die cast as well, it would look horrible. I wish the NEM pockets were on cams and the wheel treads had been polished or even turned in a lathe but this would take the model up towards Continental standards and of course pricing.

 

I bought a couple of Hornby coaches to go with mine:

P1030462a.JPG.c1776a075d3328e5b587b2b7fc562762.JPG

 

I have no idea whether this has a prototypical equivalent but somehow it pleases me, even in my late 20th century setting built for H0 scale. Sorry about the coach wheel :-)

 

- Richard.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The Beattie Well Tank model is 10 years old; the one thing that might well  work weight wise if the tooling were to be revised is a diecast running plate and at the same time the cab interior improved with the deletion of the full width splasher.

Edited by Butler Henderson
Typo corrected
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The Beattie Well Tank model is 10 years old; the one thing that might well  work weight wise if the tooling were to be revised is a diecast running plate and at the same time the cab interior improved with the deletion of the full width splasher.

 

Not having had mine apart I suspect the full width splasher hides the gears.  I may be wrong.....

 

Les

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Les1952 said:

 

Not having had mine apart I suspect the full width splasher hides the gears.  I may be wrong.....

 

Les

 

I didn't dismantle mine any further, but there is a gear in there. There is a longitudinal shaft driving both of the driving wheels.

(Sorry I clicked the 'agree' button but realised this was ambiguous)

 

- Richard.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...