The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:32, AndyID said:

Hopefully Carlos is up for it. He is getting on a bit.

He did better than amazing, played for two hours straight and there wasn't even the slightest indication he was "our age" :O

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/03/santana-celebrates-woodstock-at-fiery-xcel-energy-center-show-with-assist-from-the-doobie-brothers/

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

He did better than amazing, played for two hours straight and there wasn't even the slightest indication he was "our age" :O

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/03/santana-celebrates-woodstock-at-fiery-xcel-energy-center-show-with-assist-from-the-doobie-brothers/

Sounds like my kind of concert, I didn't get to Woodstock, but the Bath Festival in 1970 was pretty close to Britain's version of it.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/bA1.html

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, AndyID said:

Given recent events in the US it might seem callous that I'm joking around. It's something of a defense mechanism on my part.

If I were to post stuff about how I really feel I'm pretty sure I'd be banned from here and quite possibly picked up by the FBI for interrogation.

Ahh, I'd be joining you for sure by the sound of it. Side not about FBI etc., with friends convinced if you have an Amazon Echo etc., that they're listening in on everything. I can categorically say they aren't otherwise I'd have been arrested ages ago :jester:

14 hours ago, AndyID said:

Here we go again. What this topic needs is a sense of decorum. Cleopatra was, for good reason, the Queen of Denial.

Decorum, that's what you do with apples innit?? Coat, hat etc...

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Sounds like my kind of concert, I didn't get to Woodstock, but the Bath Festival in 1970 was pretty close to Britain's version of it.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/bA1.html

Indeed, I never got to Woodstock, but WAS at the fabled Isle of Wight concert. Slept on the beach the night before the concert started as we went over "early" to maybe avoid the masses - THAT didn't happen :)

Moanday morning.

Quiet weekend after the concert, although the Mrs liked it.

It seemed to fire up her anxiety much more overnight and yesterday as well as this morning and she's not doing so well. Calls in to Doc etc., and an appointment tomorrow as part of the plan :(

I'll be attending our committee meeting tonight, but that's about all after work.

20 and partly sunny first thing, headed for 27 later

Tally ho...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not to good for England in the cricket:(.

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

My late uncle was a doctor in the RAF in India during the war. He said that his busiest day was when some wag sent an empty Fray Bentos tin with paraffin and a lighted rag, sailing  down the stream that went under the row of loos. Apparently he had a ward full of patients  who had to lie on their fronts.

Jamie

A former colleage of mine told me that something similar used to happen in the RN. He served on one of the old American destroyers where the heads were flushed constantly by sea water.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, 

I went to put up the flags at 07:58 and couldn't find them,  I'd left them at the bottom of the mast.. Then I looked up,,  they were up.... So I took them down,  ready for the 08:00 cannon.  Due to a misfire the cannon went off at 08:00:15. But I put the flags up at 08:00 anyway. 

08:05 go to put buoys out

08:45 Back to Clubhouse for bacon butty and coffee

09:15 on the water for vast hoards of juniors sailors.. In the first race series

10:30 the adults join in,  6 starts at five minute intervals,  

12:00 ish return to club house for a pasty and salad.. 

12:30 towed out a yacht from its mooring on a Lee shore., 

13:45 back on water for next series, and the next two series. 

Only one motorboat tried to weave it's way through the fleet,  not successfully 

One hire day boat questioned Why he Was stuck behind  a  sailing boat.. It was a non competing hired hustler class sailing,  boat nothing to do with us.... 

Only one laser needed rescuing from a Lee shore.

A laser and enterprise were not finished for rounding the incorrect buoy,  the rest of the fleet rounded the correct buoy but then missed their shortend course signal and did an extra lap.. 

18:10 buoys retrieved.

18:35 I'm off to get sausage and chips from the van that has been organised.. 

A few pints might go with it.... 

No pictures to day I couldnt risk this tablet in the rain... 

I've nicked a picture from the clubs facebook pages. 

FB_IMG_1565029378567.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

12:30 towed out a yacht from its mooring on a Lee shore

I initially read that as “onto a lee shore” and wondered what they had done to annoy you. 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening friends,

Today began with an up at the crack of sparrowfrat start to get to my GP by the scheduled 0800 appointment. At 0805 the outer door to the surgery was unlocked but the computerised check-in system had not been awoken so we all had to queue for the receptionists to log us in. Anyway, at 0810 (the end of my scheduled appointment), the nice doctor was discussing my issues and said that:
1 - I needed some new pills and an ECG,

2 - When that had been taken, he needed to see me again,

3 - I had to do another week's worth of BP records and 

3 - I should go to The Lister at Stevenage and get my hips / pelvis X-Rayed.

Now as one who often says that the NHS is overstretched and unable to deal with its patients in a timely manner, I have to say that, in this instance, I was absolutely wrong! I exited the consulting room and enquired about an ECG at the reception desk. They offered me a slot some 40 minutes later. When I asked about a review appointment, I was offered one at 10am today - WOW. So, by 10:30, I had had the first appointment, and ECG, a follow-up meeting with the same GP and by 14:30 my hips and pelvis had been x-rayed. So a rather happy KZ then returned home and turned on the TV to get an update from Edgbaston - how to puncture the aura of happiness in one easy lesson!

The members' tales of the likes of "The street of the flaming asreholes" are certainly bringing the odd smile, sad how we all smirk at others misfortune of course but one can't help but laugh at the just retribution applied to some. As to the megger incident, it appeared on a tv play (play for today?) many years ago and only those in the know would have got the joke.

Anyway, lawns mown here now, winning scout's photo has been mounted on acrylic and the two certificates that needed spelling alterations have been produced and signed ready to go to the winner etc. Tomorrow I will be back at the old place doing the same between showers whilst SWMBO has her contact lenses checked.

Maybe back later...

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Did practical jokers in the armed services ever get caught?

Not if they were careful and their practical jokes were just that, harming nothing except the occasional individual's dignity.

The 'joker' who thought it funny to throw a kitten off a first floor balcony found it even more hilarious when he was tossed off by four rather burly members of the WRAC ........................

That is, tossed off the end of the building and ended up in a thorn bush.

The kitten was fine, but her assailant needed hospital treatment.

As for the girls, well everybody who witnessed the event swore blind he jumped.

• Like 7
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Arrived at Fraggle Rock this afternoon after a pleasant crossing from Liverpool and an excellent sausage sarnie. Good weather up to now but that's not likely to last unless the BBC and Met Office forecasts are both half correct in our favour but contrary to each other. Currently relaxing in our apartment overlooking the yacht marina in Douglas having had a very nice fish dinner. Tomorrow's activities will depend on the accuracy of the aforementioned seaweed diviners.

Have a good night.

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, 81C said:

KZ ask the GP to check for white coat syndrome It could c0ck up the readings big time if you use a BP machine regular.  

Yes, I do suffer from white coat syndrome hence the idea that I should do these readings in my own home using my own machine. Anxiety has a negative impact on them too. I also know that my readings first thing are usually higher than during the day or in the evening (when I have been a bit more active than overnight - less sniggering at the back there). Even given the more the more positive outcome with the doctor than that which I had expected, my pressures in the surgery were still above what I can record at home.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I had thought that my microwave was ready for replacement, loud bangs were emanating from it when in use. However I have located and dealt with the problem, the turntable had become unseated so it was a simple task to reseat it. Now to sit down and watch WDYTYA, be back later.

• Like 15

Evening all, managed a bit of the "G" word in the greenhouse, I grow things under glass that I used to grow outside further south, but up here even with climate change things just don't ripen. Down side(only a little down though) is I have to pollinate everything with a brush, butternut squash was todays job, along with removal of dead leaves and flowers. Spent 4 hours in TOSH, last piece of board is secured and now need a few points to finish off, then the bridge design, I shall have a couple of ideas to run past you experts later( now what was that description of expert...………...something that has been and a drip under pressure, I think lol). 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Arrived at Fraggle Rock this afternoon after a pleasant crossing from Liverpool and an excellent sausage sarnie. Good weather up to now but that's not likely to last unless the BBC and Met Office forecasts are both half correct in our favour but contrary to each other. Currently relaxing in our apartment overlooking the yacht marina in Douglas having had a very nice fish dinner. Tomorrow's activities will depend on the accuracy of the aforementioned seaweed diviners.

Have a good night.

Dave

Check the Manx Radio weather Dave, usually pretty good as it is from the Met office at Ronaldsway (airport).  It doesn't look like a very good week, Friday you may need an aqualung.....or gills. Of course it is a day I have to travel into the Big City (Douglas) for an eye dilation after a Dr's appointment beforehand 'down north'.

Enjoy your stay!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Following a second win on Saturday's Thunderball, which I haven't previously mentioned as again £3.00 is hardly life-changing, I have this evening won £5.00 on the Set for Life game.

Whilst I am again not yet in a position to retire, I hope this progression in increasing returns continues, even more so that the rate of increase also accelerates.

However, when the big one lands, I will still remember all you poor people.

When you do win big remember not to crowdfund anything.

Hope all is going well with the elective mute, Jamie.  Sounds like fun.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the predicted rain held off and we’ve had wall-to-wall sunshine all day, in fact Sheila decided not to bother with her umbrella this morning as the sun was starting to shine. 

The stairs are now almost at the point that I can soon apply a coat undercoat to them. Both stringers have been sanded as well as the rear of the hall panelling. I’ve not gone down to bare wood, just sanded it down until it has a finish smooth enough to paint. All that remains to be done is the sanding of stair treads, a start was made today and 2 of the 7 have been done, hopefully by the end of the week I will have it all done and ready to undercoat. After dinner I went out and got the last of the wood required to make the last 2 remaining spindles. The ones I’d cut and fitted last week have all been removed to enable me to sand the stringers and will remain off until after the new floor has been laid. 

After tea and a short rest I went to Salford Quays for a swim, it was as busy as I thought it might be, but it wasn’t empty. I managed to get a mile done in a personal best of just under 37 minutes. Once home, I put my bag away and trunks and towel in the washing machine and then poured myself a bottle of Doombar to celebrate.

Goodnight all. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1