Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

James - nice photos on your blog of the finished item. Do you have any more photos of the work in progress posted anywhere, please?

Might some more somewhere but for now I hope these help!

DSCF8994.jpg 

DSCF8993.jpg

DSCF8992.jpg

DSCF8999.jpg

• Like 7

Still thinking about working roller blinds. I remember that, about 30 years ago, the late Monty Wells (de Havilland MRS) used to operate them by means of hidden thumbwheels. Not a lot of space in a Dapol Western, but the idea is tempting.....!

Has anyone tried to move the angle of windscreen wipers, I remember on westerns they use to be any old angle, sometimes over edge of windscreen,

Yes. I've swung one offside wiper at the B end (I think) to the vertical position. Adds just that bit more character. The Dapol wipers have tiny pivot stubs that allow you to do this.

As can be seen, the bogies now have Ultrascale P4 wheels in them, and the buffer beam valences have been unclipped whilst I have a think about the roller blinds system......

The storage box is about the size of a house brick and would probably qualify as an offensive weapon if you were foolish enough to lob it at someone....

post-6879-0-00113200-1370689088_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

Guest oldlugger

Does anyone know if Dapol plan to manufacture more Westerns in the future or is that it on the production line? In other words if I want one do have to buy while current stocks last, or can I hang on?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Dapol Dave has indicated within this thread that late this year, or early next, there will be more releases. You can still get hold of any livery thus far released too.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Hi Simon,

Dapol Dave has indicated in this thread that late this year or early next there will be more releases. You can still get hold of any livery thus far released too.

Dave

Dave, I'm not sure if you can get hold of all of them... blue ones are hen's teeth... and even some advertised on various sites with the image of he blue one clearly indicate that they're green not blue; enquiries I've made reveal that blue ones aren't around. I'll poss have to hold on and wait now... don't think I really want to buy a different one and totally repaint just yet.

Jon

Got a blue one direct from Dapol last week. Not sure if they have any more in stock still. Think it's a great model, though not sure about the shade of yellow used on the FYEs looks a bit to lemony to my eye. Only slight disappointment was that one of the delicate brake pull rods was missing. Does anyone who has fitted etched rods have one spare they wouldn't mind parting with? 

Steve

Edited by Steve51769

• RMweb Gold

Jimbos been at it again!

Heres D1046 as she might have been in the summer of 1970. She's been up to New Street on 1M22 Plymouth - Manchester, now ready to work home with 1V87 Edinburgh - Paignton.

Drivers card holders added detail, headcodes from Precision Labels behind home made glazing, OHLE flashes changed and data panels added

post-7138-0-45316300-1370896426_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-86021000-1370896365_thumb.jpg

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 10

I've got the maroon SYP version and it's a superb model. On the livery though, shouldn't the windscreen corner pillars be light grey rather than maroon for this version? Or were there any of them painted maroon? I'm waiting here with my 000 brush and pot of grey paint...

I've done one end of the maroon windscreen posts. I used Humbrol matt 28 enamel, as I found it easier to remove any overspill with thinner than for acrylics. Not that easy to do but I'd rather not try it on the N gauge version. It's not altogether clear where to stop the grey paint so I took it to the windscreen wipers.

Attached pictures of done end and not done end. I think it looks much more like a maroon Western when painted.

post-2672-0-94972500-1370936192.jpg

post-2672-0-84025600-1370936200.jpg

Sorry about the Super4 track on my test shelf - at least the sleeper spacing is correct for 4mm.

Next question- what's the best glue to fix the nameplates on with?

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

Did you not bid on the "cheap" one on eBay, then? It went begging at £96 in the end.....

I would have loved too but I have so little money at the moment - the recession has hit us hard.

...I always use satin varnish.

I wonder if a gum such as Copydex would work, assuming it could be spread thinly. The other thing I am intrigued by is that thin sticky stuff which is used by credit / debit card issuers to glue new cards to accompanying letters.

• RMweb Premium

The other thing I am intrigued by is that thin sticky stuff which is used by credit / debit card issuers to glue new cards to accompanying letters.

I work in school transport planning and we issue thousands of credit card style bus passes which are stuck to backing cards for posting. My colleagues use a Pritt glue roller to fix the cards http://www.prittworld.co.uk/en/prittworld/parents-home/products/glue-products/pritt-compact-glue-roller.html . It might be worth an experiment, not that I have yet got the plates for my choice of Westerns... 

• RMweb Premium

Always a wipe of Superglue here.  I get it in the tiny tubes available in many supermarkets which means you don't lose a whole heap if you can never get the tope off again  ;)

Technique : Remove nameplate from sprue, tidy up with a fine file if necessary, hold by the edges in rubber-padded tweezers which have just a little "give" to the grip which helps to avoid the thing springing free never to be seen agin.  Place a tiny drop of glue onto a cotton wool bud and wipe lightly along the centre of the plate.  Apply plate to intended position and correct if necessary before applying any pressure.  LIGHTLY apply pressure to the centre; this spreads the glue behind without it oozing out at the edges.  It works with number plates too though the shed plates were a right b*$$3r  ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully Western Champion will be in one of the future production runs, such an outstanding colour and as the 12 inch to the foot version still exists should be  good seller.

Presumably you're talking about D1015's golden ochre livery. I think Dapol Dave has said this has been "reserved" as a limited edition for the DTG owners of D1015 if they want it, so will not appear as a standard production run. But no doubt he will confirm when he next visits this page.

Edited by brushman47544

my local model shop advised my pre order for 1005 arrived. I collected it last weekend and have spent a few days geting to know its ins and out's, I have fitted the plates buffer beam details etc and given it a solid run in. My conclusion is this is one fantastic model I don't have any of the faults mentioned here on previous posts. My only issue is fitting a driver the cab interior is glued in so solid I dern't apply any more pressure, I will think on this point for a while.

So to Dapol thank you for one hell of a model from a very satisfied customer.

Craig.

• Like 1

Western Parade.... who's who? (Finally got around to taking some pictures of Western models old and new)

post-8394-0-66090000-1371133257_thumb.jpg

post-8394-0-33166200-1371133323_thumb.jpg

post-8394-0-87285000-1371133368_thumb.jpg

post-8394-0-71575500-1371133458_thumb.jpg

post-8394-0-62326200-1371133615_thumb.jpg

post-8394-0-42648000-1371133647_thumb.jpg

We definitely need a Dapol Western in Golden Ochre...

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 3