Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Fair play to you Dave for your apology.

I think I'm beginning to see why Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan et al don't come on RMweb asking for help and assistance.

Mike.

Totally unfair Mike. A good number of people opened up their books, pulled out their drawings and photographs to help Dapol, and the end result was a superb model. The current debacle is down to the fact that a lot of people have bizarrely jumped on a very positive review and its employees for (unwarranted) criticism, and then taken that further by lambasting modellers publicly who are providing yet more useful fixes and suggestions. 

Now DapolDave has offered an apology and asked for advice. Perhaps we should leave it at that, and just get on with being modellers after all?

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 15

Morning , Out of all the options I think id prefer a nice little etch for the surrounds , although in order to fit where required it would have to be very delicate , but at least could be pre painted. and fitted with a smear of varnish. I have a bob moore pen but I'm not sure if i'd be able to do a neat enough job with it - particularly round the corners.

It looks like the black rubber surround on the prototype is less than an inch in width. This would make the etch waffer thin, like the waffer thin mint in a certain film.

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Top marks to Dapol Dave

As i keep saying though dont lose sight that its still an excellent model and the things people are picking up on (inc me) are all tweaks not massive problems.

Jim

• Like 12

Top marks to Dapol Dave

As i keep saying though dont lose sight that its still an excellent model and the things people are picking up on (inc me) are all tweaks not massive problems.

Jim

It's still infinitely better than any of the lemons we've had in the past. Anyone remember Lima's patio on the cab front? Enough room there for a barbecue.

• Like 6

Moving forward, i'm going to suggest to China they leave the black line off the headcode boxes on the maroon ones and instead print a very thin one around the aperture opening of the plastic front. Does this cound like it might work?

Yes. Certainly ask them not to print the black line on the h/c box glazing. As for printing it around the aperture instead, without changing the tooling you don't have much of an option. The only other thing you could do is make the rubber surround a separate etch for it to be fitted on, but this would add to material and labour costs. The most practical option would be to print it round the apertures, considering that most modellers won't want to add an aperture etch.

As I said, the apertures look to be the correct size. Any larger and there won't be enough room for the black rubber surround to be represented.

Richard

Edited by the-gog

Well having watched, cogitated, read, re-read, thought, reminisced, (and bear in mind that I model 1970s-80s Scotland!!) I have ordered what looks to be a total treat! Sound chip will be installed (easily no doubt) and I will be able to relive my childhood Cornish holidays in full effect! Well done Dave and Dapol an intriguing gestation and a lovely baby!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To DapolDave,

Not entirely on topic, but kind of related to what's being discussed here at the moment, I'd like to give feedback on the 7mm Terrier while it's still in CAD/CAM. I'm not a 7mm modeller and would prefer a 4mm one, but my love for the class and wish to see a very good one might (if funds allow) mean I'd get one (or more) anyway. Are we going to get the same opportunity to input to its development here on RMweb as with the Western? I can't say I've noticed any thread for it.

• RMweb Premium

Am I allowed to take the discussion in a different direction, just for a moment? I used to live close to the Guildford-Redhill line and recall Westerns (and Warships for that matter) working along the line - in particular on stone trains connected with motorway contruction. But whilst I have found pictures of Warships in books and online, photos of Westerns are more difficult - and searches using the word "western" generates lots of irrelevant references including to John Wayne!

Can anyone please direct me to some photos of Westerns on this line, other than D1013 on the Southern Belle which I skipped out of school to see at Shalford Junction? So I have a choice of which locos to model and what they were hauling when my Kernow weathered one arrives.

Thanks.

OK, I don't have mine yet - collecting it from Swindon on Friday - but from the photos I think it looks absolutely incredible. Although the headcode panels are important to the appearance of the front of the loco it appears to be a relatively simple fix and one I certainly won't mind doing.

The good news is that when Dave eventually decides to produce the Western in 7mm  :sungum: all these little tweaks can be taken care of.

Seriously though, thanks Dave and Dapol for a fantastic production. Looking forward to the D6XX!

• Like 3

A few hours away from the keyboard and lots to absorb! A big thanks to Dave for his calming post and to those who've contributed with comments about how to improve the all important 'face' of the loco.... Michael Delamar's*** photoshopped 're-jig' looks much better but I still think the actual headcodes themselves should be just as the Heljan ones are, to my eyes they have the right size and weight, filling the apertures nicely too.... it's all about proportions I think. With mine, I'll be removing the printed 'rubber grommets' from the glazing and using HJ printed headcodes, trimmed to fit if required. For me, sorting out this area first improves the look of the entire front end and viewed as a whole it takes away any real doubts about the window frames... I think Jim S-W could still be right about using window etches but personally I'm happy with them as they are, and weathering the area properly will help no end I think. I might even try flush glazing the front screens on my first one to see what difference it'll make (referring back to my ealrier comments about prismatic clear plastic glazing in general).

A few pages back 'The-Gog' asked about the square air vents on the front... there were five so fitted in 1971, D1012, D1028, D1039, D1056 and D1071... by which time all five were in blue / full yellow ends livery. Some of the captions in 'Power Of The Westerns' are wrong but since the book was first published in the '70s we've come a long way regarding accurate info on the class. One glaring error in the book though still makes me chuckle... the colour spread with artist's impression of the green Western having full yellow ends....!

Edit : *** ... and Jon's original efforts in his post #579

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

Moving forward, i'm going to suggest to China they leave the black line off the headcode boxes on the maroon ones and instead print a very thin one around the aperture opening of the plastic front. Does this cound like it might work?

Cheers

Dave

Sorry if I've missed it Dave, but do you have a guestimate for the arrival of the Maroon SYP model?... and was this originally to have been D1029 Western Legionaire (now to be a weathered example by Kernow) but is now going to be Western Princess? Pre-orderd one from my local shop before Christmas.... so just wanting to know what to expect!

Three cheers for Dapol Dave... hip hip HOORAY...etc etc!

Meant to post these pics in #614...

D1010 as preserved...

post-7638-0-58359900-1361366689_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-92657200-1361366721_thumb.jpg

From the Heljan headcode sheet...

post-7638-0-85711300-1361366798.jpg

Not a bad comparison but something to bear in mind with preserved locos is some have had one or more blinds replaced with modern remanufactured ones which might not necessarily match the original cloth type.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8

A few hours away from the keyboard and lots to absorb! A big thanks to Dave for his calming post and to those who've contributed with comments about how to improve the all important 'face' of the loco.... Michael Delamar's*** photoshopped 're-jig' looks much better

Edit : *** ... and Jon's original efforts in his post #579

Can I point out that I first raised the idea of clearing the black paint off the h/c glazing - Jon acted on it. (I'm still waiting for my model, else I'd have tried.) You know, credit where it's due and all that.

RWJ

• Like 3

Am I allowed to take the discussion in a different direction, just for a moment? I used to live close to the Guildford-Redhill line and recall Westerns (and Warships for that matter) working along the line - in particular on stone trains connected with motorway contruction. But whilst I have found pictures of Warships in books and online, photos of Westerns are more difficult - and searches using the word "western" generates lots of irrelevant references including to John Wayne!

Can anyone please direct me to some photos of Westerns on this line, other than D1013 on the Southern Belle which I skipped out of school to see at Shalford Junction? So I have a choice of which locos to model and what they were hauling when my Kernow weathered one arrives.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

Not common picture content as you'll be aware but the Railway Magazine supplement of April 1990 entitled 'The Yeoman Enterprise' (covering the rail operations of Foster Yeoman) includes a black & white John Chalcraft pic of 1009 working 6O46 Merehead to Longcross through Earley in 1972 (30 + HTVs).

TEE publishing of Leamington Spa should be able to fix you up with a copy but ensure that the supplement is with the magazine.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

Can I point out that I first raised the idea of clearing the black paint off the h/c glazing - Jon acted on it. (I'm still waiting for my model, else I'd have tried.) You know, credit where it's due and all that.

RWJ

No problem RWJ, I just happened to quote Jon's post as he put the photos up showing the mods he'd done ;-)

D1029 was mentioned a while back - for those wishing to 'do' this one another thing to bear in mind as well as the lack of headboard clips at both ends is that when Swindon re-jigged it's nameplates in 1969* by dropping the extra 'N' in to give it the correct spelling, the plates appear to have been re-fitted using some of the original holes for the bolts, resulting in it not being centrally placed under the engine room window... it 'stuck out' to the right a bit judging from the photos I have of it.

* Edited to correct the date...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

D1029 was mentioned a while back - for those wishing to 'do' this one another thing to bear in mind as well as the lack of headboard clips at both ends is that when Swindon re-jigged it's nameplates in 1967 by dropping the extra 'N' in to give it the correct spelling, the plates appear to have been re-fitted using some of the original holes for the bolts, resulting in it not being centrally placed under the engine room window... it 'stuck out' to the right a bit judging from the photos I have of it.

That's interesting. Obviously, it makes sense not to have to drill different holes half an N width to the left of the original ones. I'd imagine that they'd be an ideal place for the dreaded tin worm to start. Looking at the photos of the Westerns on the scrap line with their plates removed, the area under the plates look to be pretty crummy. Still, at least that's going to be a modelling opportunity for people with Heljan Westerns. A fitting end to an unsuitable model.

Picked up my model from STEAM today.  I think it is superb - so a big thank you to Dapol Dave and the Dapol team and of course members of this forum who contributed to the end result.   I was interested in the thread about the Western names never used, and was thinking what names the great and the good would come up with if the class was being manufactured and named today.  So here (tongue in cheek) is my list:

Western Credit Crunch, Western Wills & Kate, Western Txt Spk OMG LOL, Western Bullock (recently renamed to Western Stallion), Western Equality & Diversity, Western Walkabout, Western Mo Farah, and of course Western Coalition.  On reflection maybe the original names were better

the concern over getting the headcode right, is not for myself or the modellers on here who dont mind changing them.

it comes more from when you see locos at shows or in magazine shots that havent been changed or even had any headcodes put on, like some Heljan models.

I know its a bit like looking over the neighbours fence and worrying about their garden. but I dont really want to see other peoples models with wrong details by the manufacturer running round where the owner cant or wont change anything on them.