ModelZone seeking Administration

Ravenser

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure people were saying the same thing 30 years ago about BR Blue, and look how many BR Blue layouts there are now...

At least today's railways have a bit more variety in terms of colour!

But next to no operational interest. In most places it's a case of "Unit in - pause - unit out"; repeat until bored witless (probably not long).

On many lines you can travel 50 miles without passing over a point.

John

• RMweb Gold

Color, yes... but some of the liveries look as if a bunch of toddlers attacked the trains with crayons! :spiteful:

Yes, funny how the train builders pay somebody good money to design good looking stock only for the operators to commission some glorified grafitti artist to devise a livery that studiously avoids following any of its panel lines.

John

Edit: Apologies - way off topic last two posts, will stop now!

Andrew

Go by train then you wont be able to carry too much away from the shop!!

Looks good news if they have American outline stuff in there..

Ian

Train not practical. All transport in the boring borough is designed to go east-west. North-south is a pain. I'd have to go to either Lewisham and back out the Sidcup line, or all the way into London Bridge as half the Sidcup trains don't call at Lewisham. I could practically walk there in that amount of time. May ring them today to see if they've actually opened yet.  It does make me wonder though, how much foresight the owners had to jump from SP at just the right moment.

Or I could go via Dartford and pay around £12 for the privilege.

• RMweb Gold

Modelzone seemed to strike the right note with their limited editions, and I bought their LE Bachmann N (OO) earlier this year, mail order. The postage wasn't cheap compared to, say, Hattons - but it was Hobson's and the product was fine.

But next to no operational interest. In most places it's a case of "Unit in - pause - unit out"; repeat until bored witless (probably not long).

On many lines you can travel 50 miles without passing over a point.

John

THis is getting a bit off-topic, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere in the UK with anything like a 50 mile stretch without any points. Could you provide examples John ?

It would be nice to find out the last time someone on here brought something substantial in modelzone such as a loco or a train set. Most of the time i just go into modelzone for a look, see a loco i like and then find it cheaper online because most of modelzones products are RRP.

I always use my local shop first. My only purchases from Signal Box/Modelzone have been scalextric (quite alot now I think about it) and a few of the railway special editions. My wife bought me the MZ D1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel yesterday but only because it was now £85 instead of £111. As I model 1930's GWR I have to be selective on these specials for my 'funny' trains.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Most of my large ModelZone and SignalBox purchases have been the Limited editions (Think the last one was the Central Services Class 47) and generally I have tended to order through the SB website rather than the MZ one.

Has there been any word on the state of play with MZ Ltd Editions that have yet to be released, the Mk 1 CCT for example?

Has there been any word on the state of play with MZ Ltd Editions that have yet to be released, the Mk 1 CCT for example?

AIUI All the tooling for the limited editions was paid for in advance, so they all will appear at some point. Though not necessarily from MZ.

Aaah, if only the RMWEB marital advice line had been in existence in the 1980's it would have saved me from three expensive mistakes!

Were they consecutive mistakes or all  at once ?.How on earth did you get time to  do any model  railways .

Rochester SB are having an all stock must go 20% off   sale,  Pricing is a little confusing,  as fast as staff ticket up items, the phone rings  and new instructions from high above are issued.

The question of ownership of stock arises, newer Bachmann releases,  may not be discountable, after all they are the property of Bachmann,  older stock,  the property of SB,  are.

Some prices may have risen from last week,  (not the fault of the staff)  as  they implement those instructions from a-high being based on  Modelzone RRPs,  it just goes to show the bargains we have had from SB over the years.

Rochester SB are having an all stock must go 20% off   sale,  Pricing is a little confusing,  as fast as staff ticket up items, the phone rings  and new instructions from high above are issued.

The question of ownership of stock arises, newer Bachmann releases,  may not be discountable, after all they are the property of Bachmann,  older stock,  the property of SB,  are.

Some prices may have risen from last week,  (not the fault of the staff)  as  they implement those instructions from a-high being based on  Modelzone RRPs,  it just goes to show the bargains we have had from SB over the years.

Certainly when I was in the shop today, Hornby were at 30% off.  

• RMweb Premium

I had a wee look into Glasgow branch on Saturday. I have been eyeing up a Skymasters BOAC 747 but at £39.95 for a bit of preformed plastic I thought it was a bit much. Over the weeks the price had dropped to £19.95, so in I went yesterday. 20% off , looked good until I realised they were selling it at £31.95! Now if they couldn't sell it at £19.95 what are the chances of liquidating the stock at £31.95?

Just saw this in the local newspaper, The Argus (Brighton)...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10532920.Cuckfield_Modelzone_founder_could_buy_back_stores_following_administration/?ref=mr

Seems to be putting the blame on the investors who took it over, but sees it as a "male creche"...

Oh well, off to the man cave I suppose!

Were they consecutive mistakes or all  at once ?.How on earth did you get time to  do any model  railways .

Made those mistakes before I got back into model railways...but that explains why I cannot afford to look at O Gauge...

Was that applicable to all Hornby products? I wonder if they are still taking phone-orders? I might have to get on the blower tomorrow... 

It was applicable to all the Hornby they had in stock that I could see - locos, rolling stock and (I assume) accessories. 

Birmingham's shop has a poster in the Window "20 to 30% off everything"  with a handwritten footnote:  "NOT HORNY AND SCALECTRICS" which sums up part of the problem.  I looked in but still felt the stock was overpriced which sums up another part of the problem.

I visited my local Modelzone store today and purchased a couple of Bachmann wagons at 20% off - so far, so good.

I made an on-the-spot decision to support my local store by purchasing a Hornby locomotive as well.  Although not included in the sale, I expected to be able to obtain it at the customary 10% discount which I had received previously by virtue of being a member of the Hornby Collector Club.  However, I was informed that by order of the administrator such discounts were no longer being given.  As a result Modelzone lost the sale.

Now, if the Hornby stock is owned by Hornby I fail to understand why the Hornby Collector Club discount is no longer available.  I've just searched the Hornby website, by stockist, and it still shows the green  * Club Discount  legend against every Modelzone store. If anyone from Hornby reads this post I would be most interested in their view.

Like many others, I found Modelzone's prices to be rather on the high side, but the Hornby (and Bachmann) Club 10% discounts helped to ease the pain which resulted in me purchasing more from Modelzone than may otherwise have been the case.

On a slightly different note, the member of staff who served me appeared to be surprisingly upbeat and told me that Hornby could be interested in acquiring some of the stores - which from a model railway perspective could be quite interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Since ModelZone are in administration I believe the administrators may set what terms they wish including ceasing to accept loyalty or other club cards.  They also swiftly changed the terms of acceptance for gift vouchers.

Archived