Washout at Dawlish

Is extra protective material being dumped in the containers? Around the point of the yellow crawler-type-machine-thingy, as we're going technical.

attachicon.gif201402251355.jpg

I believe that they replace some of the material daily that gets 'knocked off' by the waves at high tide. The containers have certainly taken a battering since they have been in situ so keeping them brimmed/topped with stone etc will ensure that they continue to give some protection against the waves.

• Like 1

Hi all - I'd be glad to know how things are going at St. Blazey during this cut-off period? Are the 66s hauling the clay CDAs between clay dries and docks as normal, or are there any changes to the schedule? I assume that trucks have taken over for the inland journeys - is this creating a lot of extra traffic? Apologies if this was answered earlier before I noticed this thread last week - I haven't had time to read pages #3 up to #40 or so!

Thanks,

Alan

PS - Sterling work CK and colleagues - thank you!

The Fowey trips are still running (using the one marooned 66 I believe).

I don't know how/if Stoke is being supplied. Would be interested to know if any of the road hauliers are able to carry the tonnage/distance required.

I was speaking to some people at work (down near Hayle) who have no interest in the railways other than it brings them custom at times. They held little confidence that the dates given would be kept, feeling that the dates were given because it coincided with Easter. (I did say how well things seem to be coming on).

It would seem that now the media spotlight has gone peoples views are becoming more negative.

And our local paper in Exeter today was tweeting that it could be open early...

If speculation built walls, they'd be done already. ;)

• RMweb Gold

And our local paper in Exeter today was tweeting that it could be open early...

If speculation built walls, they'd be done already. ;)

The mid-April date obviously includes an allowance for a certain amount of further bad weather that will hold up the work occasionally.

If there turns out to be less of it than NR have built in to their calculations, there is a chance they could finish earlier. 

Under-promising with the possibility of over delivery is much better than the converse!

John

• RMweb Premium

The local Spotlight news has been carrying quite a bit on the washout, including some committee meeting in parliament, which has included local councils and a Network Rail representative. If I get a few minutes on my PC I will post a link for those which can access BBC I Player.

SS

edit for spelling

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Premium

The local Spotlight news has been carrying quite a bit on the washout, including some committee meeting in parliament, which has included local councils and a Network Rail representative. If I get a few minutes on my PC I will post a link for those which can access BBC I Player.

SS

Sorry It's no go there's only a written piece, nothing on I player yet.

• RMweb Premium
Southernman46, on 25 Feb 2014 - 21:48, said:

To fuel the debate - the company I work for has recently been asked by NR to tender for a detailed structure condition examination on the old SR route.  :sungum:

"Fuel"!!!

It'l go bloody nuclear opening that old chestnut! :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

"Fuel"!!!

It'l go bloody nuclear opening that old chestnut! :laugh:

Better get the Mods to go round and have a word with them then.

Anyway on a slightly more serious note, I've just checked the webcam and looked at the progress.  Following what CK told us they are building the concrete up layer by layer with the precast blocks at the front.   Today a new row of blocks has appeared with their tops looking to be level with the top of the containers.  I think that the rebar is starting to appear behind them.  This will then be backfilled with concrete and the process will be repeated till it get to the rquirted level.  I would suspect that it needs another two layers to get up to the base of the ballast.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes to pour this layer and then let it cure.  This should give us a useful estimating tool though CK and his colleagues will no doubt keep us informed.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

To fuel the debate - the company I work for has recently been asked by NR to tender for a detailed structure condition examination on the old SR route.  :sungum:

Sounds like a very sensible idea from someone at NR. They know that the politicians and press are going to be asking questions about an alternative route, so finding out the condition of routes that have previously been used to enable them to accurately answer these questions is appropriate. 

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a very sensible idea from someone at NR. They know that the politicians and press are going to be asking questions about an alternative route, so finding out the condition of routes that have previously been used to enable them to accurately answer these questions is appropriate. 

You might say that, I could not possibly comment...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You might say that, I could not possibly comment...

In which case we shall allow the media to do that for you by way of idle speculation while we chart the rising progress of the concrete (not forgetting all the other works) at Dawlish.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the media bun fight at the site today.

No doubt many uninformed questions from those on a 'news' agenda. :rolleyes_mini:

Frankly, some of the reporting from local 'media' down here has been abysmal.  

CK,

Thanks for all the info.

Whilst the weather SEEMS to have calmed down, is it considered that the present state of works would survive a new storm ?

Obviously the damaged section is being repaired to a standard to withstand new storms.  What are the plans for the remainder of the wall, will this be subject to modifications over the next few months/years to upgrade it to  a similar level of protection ?  

• RMweb Premium

shipment order for copydex and pva glue are on hold for the moment, but cork underlay arrives Saturday  :jester:

At least there's no shortage of water to dilute the PVA, I'll get worried when I see a 45 gallon drum of fairy liquid, to act as the wetting agent, appear on the webcam.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's called 'playing the political game' to stay one step ahead of the headless chickens (politicians) and stirrers (media). You always have to be seen to be doing something even if you know full well it's the wrong something!

• Like 1