Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi David,

I wish you a speedy and successful recovery and look forward to seeing further postings when you are well and truly comfortably 'back in the saddle'. Many thanks for the wonderful photographs.

kind regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

No.1 priority is your health David - we can, and will, wait for you to be ready to post when it's comfortable for you to do so.

Thanks for all the postings over the years, I do enjoy the challenge of finding the now view for your general shots - like Jim (luckymuck) I struggled for a while with the Edinburgh one but came to the same conclusion he did.

Great to see the pics of Plessey Road crossing. Still very much in use today, of course, and recently seeing more activity with the introduction of the GBRf biomass trains from Port of Tyne to Lynemouth power station.

Glad you are feeling more comfortable.

Your Blyth & Tyne photos are always a source of great memories or me.

A few weeks ago I saw this passing Plessey Road crossing.

post-7898-0-34169200-1529078205_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I am glad you, after adjusting your chair, are feeling a bit more comfortable. The Blyth and Tyne photo’s at Newsham Plessey Road LC are most fascinating. It’s always so interesting to see a section of track get relaid. Your photo’s from 10th, March, 1984 are a valuable historical record of the up line relaying at that LC.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Chaloners Whin Junction Class 37 up freight March 67 J805.jpg

Chaloners Whin Junction Class 37 up freight March 67 J805

David

The last two digits of the loco number appear to be 70, which narrows it down to a couple of candidates of which D6870 is the most likely as it was transferred to Healey Mills at the end of 1966, according to http://www.class37info.co.uk.

The eighth vehicle in train is a brake van, I think.

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Premium

C7598 - excellent capture of the Saloon, I haven't seen many pics of it and even less with it in service. Does anyone know the seating layout and I wonder how much it cost to hire it?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from north of Newcastle. All so interesting, and full of detail. In C5308, the class 101 DMU, at Morpeth in March, 1981, has some good weathering effects under the side windows. It’s so rare you get to see that effect on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

P.S. There is a little bit of detail about the Mk3 Executive Saloon here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/uk.railway/ppgNP2RcMWI

It is said that Adders are worse than the sum of their parts.

Mike.

Many play dead when approached. Then folk pick them up, thinking dead snake...and get bitten.

1L20 was the 14:20 KX-Leeds

C1615 from the formation and the sun from the east, was likely to be the 09:00 Hull-KX

1A32 was the 17:00 Newcastle-KX

1A14 was the 09:30SX Leeds-KX (with rear 3 coach portion starting 08:30 from Halifax) or 08:53SO Bradford-KX (rear 3 coaches 08:41 from Halifax). This set formed 1L20 as above, but as can be seen has been upgraded from Mk2a to Mk2d coaches by Dec 74.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ffestiniog Railway photo’s as taken in August 1979, and April 1986. I’ve always liked the railway, and it’s such a great way to see some of the Welsh scenery.

The Swayfield photo’s are as good as ever, and you get a good sense of the power of a train at full speed from these excellent photo’s. In J3721 you have a Deltic plus eight formation, and the guard and luggage had to squeeze into the van in the BFK or BFO. Whichever it was maybe the drawback of those short formations.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s. They are interesting, and as always, the Scottish scenery is fantastic. I wish I could go and live there. I can’t help but notice the abandoned signal post, laid flat on the ground in the two photo’s at Kinbrace. And the last photo’ at Thurso, in August, 1973, is a delightful composition, which shows how well the station would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

Going on my experience of Fuji & Agfa slide films. Fuji being warm and Agfa being cold. I would say Fuji is the first one.

Am I correct?

Cheers

Keith

You are correct.

I am sure that at the time there was a reason why Dad and I used different films, but I can't remember after 45 years.

Edit:  It may have been because Agfa was 50ASA (ISO) and Fuji was 100ASA (ISO) - but grainier.  Fuji film has generally kept less well than Agfa.

David

Edited by DaveF

Perhaps it is just the angle that the mineral wagon has been caught in C1317 (Thurso) but it does show how 'simple' the stock was until relatively recently - little more than a tub on wheels.

Contrast with all the underframe gubbins that is on contemporary freight stock - the 1970s mineral would be recognisable to someone living a century earlier.