Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Princes Risborough to Oxford service withdrawn in 1963. Station might be Islip and train from Oxford.

I was thinking along those lines too, that being ex LMS (LNWR) terittory and there being an upper quadrant signal behind the train. Thame would have been lower quadrant being ex GWR. A search for Islip produces one image that does seem to confirm that.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Great picture though it is, but I don't think the last one is Thame. The position of the bridge in relation to the platforms is wrong, the platforms weren't wooden and it had a train shed.

attachicon.gif332xx.JPG

View in the same direction, but taken form under the Thame - Tetsworth road bridge in the late 70s having legged it down there from school before first classes.....

Dave

I think the Standish Junction photos were taken about halfway between there and Stonehouse stations (closed and open), slightly nearer the latter. Both trains heading north so DMU Swindon to Gloucester (at least).

Princes Risborough to Oxford service withdrawn in 1963. Station might be Islip and train from Oxford.

I was thinking along those lines too, that being ex LMS (LNWR) terittory and there being an upper quadrant signal behind the train. Thame would have been lower quadrant being ex GWR. A search for Islip produces one image that does seem to confirm that.

Dave

Thanks for the comments about the location.

It's one of Dad's photos so all I had to go on was his notes - I've never been there, so it will be nice to know where it really is.

David

Dave

And aren't the station buildings of standard L.N.W.R. clapboard (modular) design? 

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Gold

And aren't the station buildings of standard L.N.W.R. clapboard (modular) design? 

Cheers,

BR(W).

Agree - and with the other comments.  That picture is on the Bletchley -Oxford line, is very definitely not Thame (which had masonry built platforms apart from anything else and the topography is wrong).  Judging by other images on the 'net I too am reasonably sure that it is Islip.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like there is a trailing connection (to a siding or yard?) if you look beyond the one man and his dog. Does that help pin it down to Islip? I only know the place from when it was a single line but given the curvature and the shadows, I think it very unlikely that it's an Oxford-bound train.

• RMweb Gold

Agree - and with the other comments.  That picture is on the Bletchley -Oxford line, is very definitely not Thame (which had masonry built platforms apart from anything else and the topography is wrong).  Judging by other images on the 'net I too am reasonably sure that it is Islip.

Looks like there is a trailing connection (to a siding or yard?) if you look beyond the one man and his dog. Does that help pin it down to Islip? I only know the place from when it was a single line but given the curvature and the shadows, I think it very unlikely that it's an Oxford-bound train.

Photo of Islip in 1951 looking in opposite direction here:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/i/islip/

Note two lighter markings on platform and position of crossover, never mind the structures.

Islip station was been demolished and rebuilt, then demolished and rebuilt again.

Many thanks.  I've changed the caption to Islip.

I've no idea what Dad was doing there, it really doesn't fit in with the previous photo which he took at Ryde.

It fits better with the next one he took, at Helmdon, but then the one after that is at Loughborough.

David

• RMweb Premium

The last one is a 108 which would have worked into Oxford from the Cambridge direction.  At one time there were fill-in turns which took them to Reading but I question whether they worked into Paddington at this time.

Chris

Don't remember Bletchley DMU's  running to Reading, however they used to do a return trip to Kingham in the early 60s

Don't remember Bletchley DMU's  running to Reading, however they used to do a return trip to Kingham in the early 60s

Indeed.  12.14 pm Oxford to Kingham Saturdays only, arrive 12.55 pm, depart 1.10 pm, arrive Oxford 1.48 pm. stable until return to Bletchley dep 5.18 pm.

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bluebell Railway photo's. Blackmore Vale was looking most presentable at the time of that photo' despite having no nameplates fitted. And I love the Southern photo's. The first one of 4COR 3150 must surely be of historical value, for just look at the board/sticker on the connecting gangway about the Butlin's Holiday Camp Express. I don't recall seeing that before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

This thread has just hit 1,500,000 views.

Thanks to everyone who looks at the photos, I hope you are all still enjoying them.

David

You wouldn't be getting all those views if we weren't! :good: 

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.  12.14 pm Oxford to Kingham Saturdays only, arrive 12.55 pm, depart 1.10 pm, arrive Oxford 1.48 pm. stable until return to Bletchley dep 5.18 pm.

Chris 

Interesting working Chris! Shades of the original OWW connection at Yarnton Junction - facing from the Kingham direction on to the Bletchley line - from when the OWW did not want to fall in to the clutches of the nasty GW but rather to reach London via Bletchley to Euston . The through service didn't last long but the trackbed is still just about traceable at the OWW end where it deviated from the OWW line at Yarnton before Wolvercote Junction.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I wish to congratulate you on achieving half a million views. I just had a gut feeling when you started this thread back in 2014, that it would prove to be most successful. My feelings have been well and truly borne out.

A great mix of photo's from Carlisle, and the 85 in the last photo' is looking most soggy in all that rain.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Its nice to someone else gets Carlisle weather when they visit! :jester: What livery is the 47' in Dave, it looks to be black but perhaps its just the weather! Always liked Carlisle as it was my first ever spotting jaunt out of dreary Glasgow way back when Kingmoor still meant the steam depot.

• RMweb Gold

Its nice to someone else gets Carlisle weather when they visit! :jester: What livery is the 47' in Dave, it looks to be black but perhaps its just the weather! Always liked Carlisle as it was my first ever spotting jaunt out of dreary Glasgow way back when Kingmoor still meant the steam depot.

It's the standard rail blue, it just looks very dark - the weather was dull and I didn't have much success in trying to "improve" the scan.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

I was trying to be tactful when I said it was hard to be sure ! (for a change) :angel:

I had to look at it twice to see it was a 66 to be sure, to be sure.

Hat, coat, etc.

Cheers,

Mick

C8265 - I had forgotten that the loco-hauled diagrams off Heaton went on for quite so long in 1987. I remember that they were still running later in the summer/early autumn, diagrams tied in with the Middlesbrough services. I recall catching a Newcastle - Middlesbrough mid-afternoon service that worked back as far as Hexham, on one occasion.

Congratulations, David, on notching up another milestone!

I know you say the quality is poor but I like C5080 - the picture of Eynsford. The area has hardly changed in the intervening years. Archaeology fans can check out Lullingstone Roman Villa which is in the same lane as is crossed by the viaduct!