OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

No power from plastic panto.

How are you going to model the sparks from the OLE?

Not sure that many would be running it under OHLE, but maybe one or two might try making a panto that can conduct.

EP photo is impressive and shows the kind of detail standard that buyers of Roco HO models have taken for granted for years.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that many would be running it under OHLE, but maybe one or two might try making a panto that can conduct.

We will be! Well, not 'conductable' but operational (up and down!) by fitting one of these: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/350

EP photo is impressive and shows the kind of detail standard that buyers of Roco HO models have taken for granted for years.

Agreed!

And where have the prominent body lifting lugs gone, or are they going to be a separate fitting?

Agreed, they are partially missing. But as they seem (from photos) to be fixed to both body and bogie - the question is how should they be attached to the model and still allow the bogie to swing around model railway curves? (Or maybe they are separate fittings.)

Agreed, they are partially missing. But as they seem (from photos) to be fixed to both body and bogie - the question is how should they be attached to the model and still allow the bogie to swing around model railway curves? (Or maybe they are separate fittings.)

As they are "body" lifting lugs they obviously are only attached to the body. I suspect that as they protrude beyond the body moulding with the body may be an issue.. Not at all sure if would be that prominent in oo

As they are "body" lifting lugs they obviously are only attached to the body. I suspect that as they protrude beyond the body moulding with the body may be an issue.. Not at all sure if would be that prominent in oo

Are they attached to the body? It's a while since I saw the real loco, but the close up photo of the bogie in Modern Locomotives Illustrated No.215: DC Electric Locos, page 31, looks like they are bolted to a casing on the bogie - DJ's model has that bit. It's whether they are actually also connected to the body - or if they are just a very close fit - I can't see from the photos. They are pretty prominent, visually. I'm guessing they'll be an etched insert, as I assume they'll intefere with bogie rotation on trainset curves. I'm sure all will become clear in due course.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Here's a question someone out there must know as i cannot seem to get the answer.

On the BR Blue class 71, i've found a picture that seems to show the roof panto well as (like the class 86's etc) a light grey colour.

Now to be perfectly fair, it could well be the light onto a weathered blue surface caught by the sun so i'm not sure.

Anyone got the definitive answer out there?

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how conclusive this is - dark grey or blue?

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p740193379/hA0240B2#ha0240b2

To my eyes and at maximum enlargement I'm afraid it's not conclusive at all.  But from experience alone I'd suggest the wells were painted blue and quickly acquired a layer of roof grime making them appear darker and towards grey - even black after a long time between repaints.

Those which used their pantograph in anger would also have gained some black residue in the well, appearing perhaps dark grey, as the inevitable consequence of carbon rubbing against copper.

To my eyes and at maximum enlargement I'm afraid it's not conclusive at all.  But from experience alone I'd suggest the wells were painted blue and quickly acquired a layer of roof grime making them appear darker and towards grey - even black after a long time between repaints.

Those which used their pantograph in anger would also have gained some black residue in the well, appearing perhaps dark grey, as the inevitable consequence of carbon rubbing against copper.

I have just spoken with my "Southern Spy", an ex Eastleigh Works man and his memory of the class 71's in the blue livery was that the whole of the body was sprayed blue. Sides and roof and in any case, blue was a colour not available as a "brushing" paint.

The pantograph well soon discoloured with scrapings from the overhead anyway. 

My intention is, with my example, will be firstly to have it  "light weathered" by my man "Rippers", before sending it out on Meopham East Junction to haul  diverted boat trains.

Cannot wait, hurry up Dave, please, pretty please.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Converted at Crewe ??

so there must have been 71's towed north and 74's on test / delivery to SR....................more off route scope

Don't forget as well there was a short period around 1970/71 ish when the electro diesels were overhauled at Crewe. E6102, E6105, and E6106, were all repaired at Crewe getting there and back under their own power. Indeed the 74s when built came south under their own power.

The 71s would have been towed north for conversion quite right so more opportunities for variations.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Sorry mate but Chinese New Year was in the middle there somewhere.

I think by this time next week all your questions will be answered nicely

Thanks for the swift reply. Waiting in anticipation

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Nice pic of E5001 pulling NSE liveried EMU's out of Shakespeare Cliff Tunnel in the current (795, WCRC Ban cover) issue of Rail Magazine, on page 64 in the feature on the Dover Sea Wall repairs.