OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Peeps may be interested to note that issue 215 of Modern Locomotives Illustrated is to cover DC Electric locos. That will be in a couple of months, just about the time the model producers are on the final stages, too late for any significant adjustments but good for us to help sort out which, where, when and odd detail variations when to models do eventually arrive and whet the appetite in the meantime.

Question please.

What will the maximum reach of the pantograph be from rail level?

Just fixing my overhead section and need to know.

Thanks

Hi mate,

the measurement from rail to panto head when extended is 66mm

HTH

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see the opposition has been announced in some places retailing at around £25 more than DJModels and is expected in May 2016.  A case of paying your money and taking your choice.

I suspect I know which will be the more popular and better model and probably the first to arrive.  Not only that but they are already paid for.

I see the opposition has been announced in some places retailing at around £25 more than DJModels and is expected in May 2016.  A case of paying your money and taking your choice.

I suspect I know which will be the more popular and better model and probably the first to arrive.  Not only that but they are already paid for.

I suspect in terms of 'popular', the red box one will be available in places the DJ model isn't, but I'm glad the DJ one has a price advantage as it should help things along where the DJ version is stocked/known about.  

I must admit, I am surprised at the price of the Hornby one.

Remember Dave, I am ready to place an order for a second one, once you let us know the detail differences between your locos ;-))

(And if you tempt us too much.....).

Edited by JSpencer

Hi mate,

the measurement from rail to panto head when extended is 66mm

HTH

cheers

Dave

Thought your Panto was fixed and non movable? Or has that changed?

Edited by 51E

Regardless of the opposition announcement I think the real question is do you want something that will be a credible accurate, well presented, well running & finished Model or a mass produced over priced toy as some of the resent releases have been.

Quality dose not mean that something has to cost more than the alternative. 

• RMweb Gold

Regardless of the opposition announcement I think the real question is do you want something that will be a credible accurate, well presented, well running & finished Model or a mass produced over priced toy as some of the resent releases have been.

Quality dose not mean that something has to cost more than the alternative. 

Written by some one who has seen neither model, very impartial!

Is it still just a plastic one?

Yes it is. It's the only way to get ALL the detail that is necessary, and both I and the Chinese engineers designed a metal one but it didn't give ( no matter what we tried) the fidelity I wanted in the panto area, both well and the panto itself.

Cheers

Dave

Technical question from a position of honest ignorance (and quite likely in the wrong place - if so, apologies): were the 71s pure 'pulling' locomotives, or could they work in multiple with contemporary Kent Coast stock (CEP/BEP/MLV)?

I see from photos that there is at least one power jumper on the end (albeit low level) so just wondered...

Edited by olivegreen

• RMweb Premium

Perfectly reasonable question to which the answer so far as I am aware is that the 71s were "haulage only" and were not equipped for push-pull operation.  Those which were later converted to class 74 gained that equipment upon conversion.  

Hi Olivegreen.

The 71s were not equipped for multiple operation with EMUs. The jumper you are looking at may have been the electric train heating jumper.

However, when some of the 71s were converted to class 74 electro-diesels, they also gained the jumpers for working with EMUs (and TCs), thus they could work in push-pull mode under the control of a remote cab.

Edit: It looks like Rick and I were both typing out the same answers at the same time!! :D

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

Technical question from a position of honest ignorance (and quite likely in the wrong place - if so, apologies): were the 71s pure 'pulling' locomotives, or could they work in multiple with contemporary Kent Coast stock (CEP/BEP/MLV)?

I see from photos that there is at least one power jumper on the end (albeit low level) so just wondered...

I can't be absolutely precise, but suspect that the power rating of the 71 meant it could not work with much else. A conductor rail index was used to ensure the power supply system was not overloaded, and a max rating of 16 per train was imposed. For example, I think the 4-REP had an index of 14, so could only couple to a 2-HAP. And when the 71s were new, that degree of inter-operability had not been envisaged. Their role was freight on the South Eastern Division, with limited use on passenger trains, e.g. The Night Ferry and the Arrow. EMUs were the designated passenger medium.

There is this for those of us who will want a working pan.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge(#15 down)

Now that's lovely, truly a work of art.

I don't think it will fit into panto well when down though as the well looks too short in length.

A lovely kit as a starter for someone who wants to accurately model the panto.

I might get one just to play with.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian would be on the right track with reference to the CRI.

A 4Rep boasted 3200 horses and was rated CRI 14 meaning it could not work in multiple with anything else if all the traction motors were cut in, other than a humble 2Hap or 2EPB.  They did occasionally work with other powered units but had to have a number of traction motors cut out to avoid overloading the circuit breakers.

A class 71 enjoyed 2552 horses and would have been rated CRI 10 I believe.  Two could not therefore work in multiple (or tandem, as both would still be drawing current) nor could they haul electric stock if that also had its traction motors cut in with a few modest exceptions.

Most routes were rated CRI 16 as Ian states.  A typical 12-car EMU formation pulled CRI 12 so there was a little leeway.  The official Boat Train Routes (BTR 1 and 2) were current-boosted to CRI 18 as I recall in order to ensure heavy loads could be re-started at awkward spots is required.  Anyone who saw a 71 pulling away from a stop will know they were pretty darn quick but that came at the cost of high current draw.

• Like 1

Anyone who saw a 71 pulling away from a stop will know they were pretty darn quick but that came at the cost of high current draw.

Yes - in the days where such things were "permitted" I was lucky enough to get a light engine cab ride from Gillingham - Dover Priory (courtesy of a school friends' dad). The acceleration was incredible and when running at speed unlike a 73 the loco wouldn't try to pitch you through the cab roof at every track anomaly.