Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

• RMweb Premium

10509537_639104646193942_627384226654043

Some say that putting a car on a locomotive is non prototypical, and that you can never have the freedom of a car journey with the comfort of a train... all we know is, this is scaring the H_ll out of the stig. 

Damn sat navs again.

I cannot remember which railway modelling magazine it was in but I recall seeing a feature entitled A Rainy Day In Leeds (or similar) that had "wet" streets and trams.

Yes it was in Railway modeller in the early 90s. The layout was Leeds trams by Andrew Ross, it was photographed at the same time as my old layout Cranliegh Down by Steve Flint (now editor of R M)

What about road vehicles with the red and white trade plates strapped on at a jaunty angle? In particular those brave souls who used to drive coach chassis around the country in the fifties and sixties, with only a brown cap, coat or cape for protection. I imagine elf n safety stopped that some time ago.

http://www.modelrailwayscenery.com/2015/02/editable-uk-modern-vehicle-trade-plates-oo4mm176/

How about a landslip? I envisage an end to end layout with a fiddle yard leading to a through station. Beyond the station there is a landslip in a cutting so the trains can't go any further. So no need for another fiddle yard but lots of extra train movements at a station not designed for them, plus engineering trains taking spoil away and bringing equipment and materials for the repairs.

And of course the lines of passengers waiting for the rail replacement buses which have got caught in a traffic jam somewhere and are running hours late.

Not a landslide, but Stuart Robinson's "Emergency at Asheldham" layout depicts a similiar scene with a washed-out bridge:

http://www.ndmrc.info/Layouts/Derek/Asheldham/Asheldham.htm

• Like 2

I can remember seeing that at Steamtown (RIP) not long before it closed. For some reason half the rake had wound up with the arrow pointing one way, and half the other way, so they were being turned on the turntable to get them all facing the right way. To make matters worse, it was a hot day and the rails on the turntable had expanded which meant that the guys turning the table had to put in some extra effort for the last couple of degrees of turn in order to overcome friction between the rail ends. Trouble was, then they overshot and had to bring it back again... and overshot again...and again! Eventually I heard one of them say

"Well, that's the first one done. Only another 12(?) to go!"

• Like 1

What about road vehicles with the red and white trade plates strapped on at a jaunty angle? In particular those brave souls who used to drive coach chassis around the country in the fifties and sixties, with only a brown cap, coat or cape for protection. I imagine elf n safety stopped that some time ago.

A different take on the same idea:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/2175320090/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

How about having the sight of railway enthusiasts with their heads leaning out of carriage windows, especially seen these days on HST's and railtours, and now you can install lighting in coaches, passengers seen sat in them?

Sam 

• Like 1

Just had a thought of something I don't think I have seen before, a bit controversial but would fit in perfectly on my layout - An Orange Walk (parades from other groups are available)

Jim

I've seen Orangemen heading for an event depicted on an Irish 3' gauge layout, possibly by Hugh Docherty (but I mean no offence to anyone, including Mr Docherty, if I'm wrong about that).

• Like 1

....something I don't think I have seen before, a bit controversial but would fit in perfectly on my layout - An Orange Walk (parades from other groups are available)

I don't know if he's still doing it, but there is / was one modeller based in Belfast who portrayed the mean streets during The Troubles, patrolled by armoured Land Rovers, etc. I think he modelled a riot once.

I haven't yet seen a mosque or replica Hindu temple on a layout. Yet.

Edited by Horsetan

I haven't yet seen a mosque or replica Hindu temple on a layout. Yet.

Not quite to HO scale (although listed as such) ... you can at least get ready done figures for a mosque.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-Mixed-Middle-East-Arab-People-Figure-Painted-Train-Model-1-100-Scale-HO-/191863965355?hash=item2cabfbc6ab:g:b-MAAOSwhRxXKkON

Edited by cromptonnut