RMweb

Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Gold

Alan,

I found the Dapol suggested speaker fitting to be 'interesting' though well engineered.

I tried several types and found the ZIMO LS 40 x 22 x 09 twin driver unit, the same type as the ones I fitted to the HST in last months Hornby Magazine, to be the best in my judgement. I'm sure others will have their own ideas.

This speaker fits vertically, immediately behind the open radiator grille, there's loads of room, and was attached with sticky black mastic.

The model looks great and runs exceptionally well, especially as I've added a 144,000uF stay alive supercapacitor.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to post those very helpful pics.  Any chance of some pics of the speaker installation, and video of the sound-fitted loco in action?

Peter

thanks for this Paul

Is it really just plug and play for the sound chip in this model ?

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to post those very helpful pics.  Any chance of some pics of the speaker installation, and video of the sound-fitted loco in action?

Peter

Peter,

Full details will probably appear in Hornby Magazine shortly, though in truth it's not at all difficult to work out when you lift the lid.

I'm working on a video.

Kind regards,

Paul

thanks for this Paul

Is it really just plug and play for the sound chip in this model ?

If you use the ZIMO MX644D, the decoder just plugs in an all works correctly. Decoder's/reblows from me or from Digitrains have all CVs optimised for correct lighting operation and prototypical acceleration and speed.

The speaker needs to be fixed in place and the wires need to be soldered to pads on the PCB which are clearly marked. That's it.

Please note, I'm only speaking for ZIMO decoders, which I can vouch work as expected.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

I see the unnumbered BR Blue ones (pre & post TOPS) have now all sold out at Hattons - no surprise there - I always thought Dapol should have made more unnumbered ones (like Heljan diesels) - I have to smile though because when the 08 was first announced at Ally Pally quite a few years ago I spoke to Dapol at the time and although early days they said they wouldn't do unnumbered locos as they didn't sell!!!!!!!!!!!!! welcome to O guage is perhaps the best thoughts on that..................

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Its a interesting business model when you sell something which is clearly sort after, and where the supply is limited, at a significant discount. No wonder manufacturers think that they should increase what they charge the retailers for a model.

Godfrey

• Like 1

Its a interesting business model when you sell something which is clearly sort after, and where the supply is limited, at a significant discount. No wonder manufacturers think that they should increase what they charge the retailers for a model.

Godfrey

Quite! I'm looking forward to picking mine up from my local model shop later in the week, it's not as cheap as the likes of Hattons/Tower etc but I'm more than be happy to be supporting my local establishment. No wonder so many model shops close down....

Either the £169 eBay models have sold out or Rails have adjusted the price but they're £189.50 with £7.50 postage.  Their own website has them at £169 with £4 postage. Given that you can use Paypal for either website eBay is a non-starter.

Should collect mine from my local shop at the weekend, but its so long since I ordered I can't recall which version I went for! 

Wow that just isn't cricket is it .... I defo paid £169.95, I noticed all their listings are £189.50 now ... boo hiss !!

Craig.

Guest 40-something

Wow that just isn't cricket is it .... I defo paid £169.95, I noticed all their listings are £189.50 now ... boo hiss !!

Craig.

For just over £100 extra you can have this beaut from Rails...

Go on Craig, you know you want to

Edited by 40-something

According to the photos on Hattons site - it looks like it has been corrected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That certainly saves a load of trouble.

It seems Dapol do listen to their customers and Richard has got his paintbrush out instead of me............

On 08202 according to the Hatton's photos it appears there is some Black missing on the side off the wasp stripes but that is much easier to correct along with the cab roof.

... and those side stripes seem to be missing off the un-numbered TOPS version to..??!!  :scratchhead:

Have consoled myself by looking at the Pre-TOPS version (Rails pic on Ebay) where it seems the side stripes are present, but out of line with the wasp stripes on the front!!    :fool: :D

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest 40-something

... and those side stripes seem to be missing off the un-numbered TOPS version to..??!!  :scratchhead:

Have consoled myself by looking at the Pre-TOPS version (Rails pic on Ebay) where it seems the side stripes are present, but out of line with the wasp stripes on the front!!    :fool:  :D

I thinks its the yellow edging of the side vent panel that begins on the 2nd lowest black stripe that makes it look like they are out of line.  Quick touch up with a black marker will sort that

Edited by 40-something

Have consoled myself by looking at the Pre-TOPS version (Rails pic on Ebay) where it seems the side stripes are present, but out of line with the wasp stripes on the front!!    :fool: :D

What is the problem with the cab roof? Thanks

What is the problem with the cab roof? Thanks

??? Cab roof? No probs I can see?

I thinks its the yellow edging of the side vent panel that begins on the 2nd lowest black stripe that makes it look like they are out of line.  Quick touch up with a black marker will sort that

I think the 3rd & 4th up (or 1st & 2nd from the top!!) are out of line, too. ;)

Let's face it for a 7mm £170 RTR model it is a bargain, so a bit of touching up here and there I can live with, yes it's not perfect, but from someone who used to buy Poole Farish n gauge locos for £60-£70 a time a faff around replacing split gears etc I can cope with it.

Craig

Is it really a "bargain" though? The price is low compared to existing 0 gauge loco's, but it's like the cheap baked beans tempting you into Tesco's when you didn't need beans in the first place! Of course the idea is to get people buying 0 gauge and to sell in much bigger numbers. It's a business risk and I hope it works for them. Presumably the supply chain all get a slice of the profit, and hopefully the Chinese workers get a "decent" (hardly by our standards) wage.

This is not meant to be negative or critical. I'm really pleased by this development, loving my terrier shuttling up and down its yard of track and looking forward to my green 08 even if it has got a black or grey bonnet.

Best wishes

Ed

Is it really a "bargain" though? The price is low compared to existing 0 gauge loco's, but it's like the cheap baked beans tempting you into Tesco's when you didn't need beans in the first place! Of course the idea is to get people buying 0 gauge and to sell in much bigger numbers. It's a business risk and I hope it works for them. Presumably the supply chain all get a slice of the profit, and hopefully the Chinese workers get a "decent" (hardly by our standards) wage.

This is not meant to be negative or critical. I'm really pleased by this development, loving my terrier shuttling up and down its yard of track and looking forward to my green 08 even if it has got a black or grey bonnet.

Best wishes

Ed

In this day and age, of course it's a bargain!!

• Like 1