Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

On test with 5 pole motor and flywheel, it does improve slow running.

post-6750-0-12830400-1483284419_thumb.jpg

The piping may look better with copper and brass replacing the plastic parts. If Hornby has further supplies of Dodo, then another will be bought and have the name changed next month.

post-6750-0-57099000-1483285398_thumb.jpg

Tried all three triple heading, the haulage power is astonishing.

post-6750-0-08734800-1483285677_thumb.jpg

I would agree that the buffers are a touch small, but really not worth changing.

Stephen

• Like 6

Buffers!

{no, not a call-to-arms for RM webbers!!]

I may be wrong, but I am minded that the Hornby buffers might be a trifle small for industrial useage?

Can anybody suggest anything larger?  [And, where from?]

Aside from drawing pins, roofing tacks, etc?]

:)

They're standard size Peckett buffers.

RT Models make a fine set of replacements http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_023.htm

But I think you're after the buffer heads. The only thing I can think of is get a set of large radius buffer heads and glue the head over the Hornby one.

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nameplates? There was a break in at the yard last night and someone helped themselves. Fleur's now waiting for her new plates to come from Narrow Planet.

attachicon.gifDay3s1.jpg

attachicon.gifDay3aS.jpg

That looks very nice.

Are you able to divulge how you tackled the weathering then, please, Andy?

Are you able to divulge how you tackled the weathering then, please, Andy?

I used a bit more of the Microsol buffed with earbuds to get a bit of a shine on the tank (it didn't bring much of a shine to the plastic cabsides) before a dose of very dark grey weathering powders applied with the brush end of these disposable little items  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30pcs-Disposable-Double-Ended-Eye-Shadow-lip-Applicators-Sponge-Makeup-Brush-/322351124715?hash=item4b0d9fd0eb:g:l-cAAOSwvg9XTvb7 and partially removed with the foam pad end. It needs more work on it which I'll do when I've got the plates.

I know it's heavy weathering but I just wanted to take it to the other end of the pretty scale.

Dave (Ruston) has done a lovely job on anonymising his too.

I asked earlier on the thread but I don't think I received an answer, but what would the 1:1 scale version of a W4 be expected to handle in reality?

I have bought Dodo to make up the industrial contingent of my future Moretonhampstead branch as if preserved layout (which station is as yet undecided but I'm hoping to make a start in the Summer, most likely with Lustleigh). The storyline is that the Peckett was an early arrival on the line and heavily involved in the early years, before a period on the sidelines, returning to steam in the 2000s or 2010s as a pet/curiosity for pilot duties and odd outings on demonstration goods.

I see photos of similar classes at embryonic preserved railways and the common formation seems to be 1 mk1 + brake van, but this may be due to other operational constraints. Whilst I am interested in terms of Mk1 haulage, I'm sure most on here would be more interested in terms of 16t/equivalent wagon haulage!

I understand it's not a W4, but the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway's Peckett, Fulstow, is one of their mainstays and they operate 4 or 5 coach trains of Mk2s (not sure exactly which) . Mind you , the line seems to be subject to a 15mph limit , apparently because BR scraped the formation clean when lifting the track in the early 80s in order to undercut any preservation attempt (why they were so hostile to the local rail restoration group I don't know.)

DocJacobs is a volunteer on the line and might be able to shed some light on actual haulage capabilities, but it's worth remembering that 2 x loaded 16T minerals equates to the weight of a coach. Shifting 8-10 fully loaded minerals ought to be well within their powers

It looks to be a lovely little loco. Money was tight last year and purchases very strictly limited to clear and present need, but funds are better this year and I'm very tempted.  The box file needs some repairs, but it would be a perfect loco for it . Is removing the printed plate necessary if you are going to add a (longer) replacement etched plate?

Fulstow is out of the question as a different type of Peckett, and most of the Lincolnshire villages I could think of quickly are much longer (Grimoldby and Mavis Enderby are really not going to fit) . But a set of etched plates  "Ravenser" might fit .....

Edited by Ravenser

I think that's a W6 Special the same as Hornet which was at Black Park Colliery. Now preserved at Ribble Steam Railway.

Jason

You could even shrink the whole thing down and put it on a farish 08 chassis

post-5804-0-22650800-1483314182.jpg

Or keep the original modified cab as per the original Harrogate Gas Works version

post-5804-0-18360400-1483314262_thumb.jpg

These are seriously good looking models i may be forced to smuggle one onto my layout at somepoint. Didnt want one till i saw them on here but i think its a must buy now, after a Janus though....

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 2

Nameplates? There was a break in at the yard last night and someone helped themselves. Fleur's now waiting for her new plates to come from Narrow Planet.

attachicon.gifDay3s1.jpg

attachicon.gifDay3aS.jpg

That's a little gem. I haven't worked up the courage to dirty mine up yet, not until I can be sure it won't turn out like the wagon it's seen with here which I'm less than impressed with weathering wise!

post-21854-0-96205800-1483314724_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

How did you get the chimney off?

Firm grip between forefinger & thumb and wiggle, wiggle some more and then a good bit more wiggling. Side to side, back to front and keep checking that the chimney is not becoming elastic as opposed to the glued joint. (That's a serious answer).

I was given a clear signal that mine was breaking free when I heard the join crack giving me an indication that the bond was being broken. A lot of adhesive had been used on mine.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane