Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Then again, we are now one additional 'traditional appearance steam industrial' better off than only having the Austerity 0-6-0ST available in OO RTR made to current standard.

In 4mm scale there was always a pretty good selection of Industrials from kit manufacturers like High Level, CPC & RT.

If the RTR manufactures start introducing a bevy of these small industrials I worry for the existence of these small cottage industries that can provide us with the means of producing diverse prototypes and supplying hard to find spares and accessories.

P

In 4mm scale there was always a pretty good selection of Industrials from kit manufacturers like High Level, CPC & RT.

If the RTR manufactures start introducing a bevy of these small industrials I worry for the existence of these small cottage industries that can provide us with the means of producing diverse prototypes and supplying hard to find spares and accessories.

P

Point taken but being the happy owner/builder of a couple of HighLevel kits and also a pair of Pecketts I can tell you that when it comes down to the running qualities there is no comparison (you probably already knew that). The HighLevel kits win hands down and that's with bog standard DC.

Cheers,

David

Depends on how closely they go head to head. There's a lot of variety out there, but I'm an old dog short on new tricks and quite frankly the quality and price of say a white metal Barclay kit isn't enough to tempt me to sit up and beg. An RTR Peckett, and especially one of this superb quality, is a godsend, because I'm not or ever likely to be a customer of the cottage industries 

On the other hand, another industrial from Hornby has to be at least a couple of years away if it happens. Even if Bachmann are spurred into knocking out say a Barclay that once again has to be a couple of years away and even then the list of possibilities will barely have been scratched, so I very much doubt that the traditional kit manufacturers have much to fear.

Guest Midland Mole

I ummmed and ahhhed but decided I to go ahead and pre-order a Works livery Peckett. It does look very nice.

Alex

If the RTR manufactures start introducing a bevy of these small industrials I worry for the existence of these small cottage industries that can provide us with the means of producing diverse prototypes and supplying hard to find spares and accessories...

I would argue that expansion of choice in a market is generally a good thing, indicating healthy demand. With a good RTR option there could be an expansion of interest in such things.   

I am a case in point: stayed with 4mm instead of going HO,  as a result of Bachmann 17 years ago commencing supply of RTR OO models to an acceptable quality standard, which made the reasonably extensive model that I was after possible. Without this RTR, I would have gone HO, resulting sales of UK OO kits and bits zero. As it is, I buy UK kits and bits as a means of obtaining those character items that I guess will never get a RTR model.

• RMweb Gold

P

Don't forget Judith Edge also. Edited by RThompson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Point taken but being the happy owner/builder of a couple of HighLevel kits and also a pair of Pecketts I can tell you that when it comes down to the running qualities there is no comparison (you probably already knew that). The HighLevel kits win hands down and that's with bog standard DC.

Cheers,

David

Is that at least in part down to the skill of the modeller constructing it?

I can assure you a Peckett will run better than any kit I make!

P

I don't think there's much reason to worry.

The RTR manufacturers are going to want their money's worth out of the investment in tooling etc. and will put out livery variations of their models for years to come before they start making anything new. It will be decades before they could cover all of what the kit manufacturers are currently producing and even then there are hundreds of prototypes to go at for the kit manufacturers to move on to if they do. But by then the guys that run these cottage industries will have retired or be six feet under; so will most of the rest of us too.

Is that at least in part down to the skill of the modeller constructing it?

I can assure you a Peckett will run better than any kit I make!

I put it down to the range of control available from the HighLevel gearboxes.

Cheers,

David

Don't forget Judith Edge also.

Fully deserved admonishment Robert.

JE was the first folks that came to mind but I forgot to type them in my post.

Please feel free to give me a good kick up the ar$e next time you see me. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make any improvement to my memory.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Going on the known record of r-t-r industrial steam in OO, I don't think the kit producers will have any serious worries for a few decades yet.

A couple of generations of Hunslet Austerity (which is also a main-line loco anyway), Hornby's Peckett, and DJM's promised Hudswell Clarke hardly constitute a glut.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bachmann dip a toe in the water over the next year or two, but I don't think any of the r-t-r boys calculate that there's a bandwagon to be jumped on.

Bachmann are likely to go for something distinctively non-Peckettish so maybe a Barclay or a Manning Wardle rather than (for instance) a RSH design. 

Hornby are unlikely to follow up on the Peckett until they have got some considerable mileage out of the tooling - why would they want to compete against their own product?

Ditto DJM after his saddle tanks emerge, whilst anything emanating from Heljan or Dapol is more likely to be in 7mm scale anyway. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Fully deserved admonishment Robert.

JE was the first folks that came to mind but I forgot to type them in my post.

Please feel free to give me a good kick up the ar$e next time you see me. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make any improvement to my memory.

P

I'll leave the ar$e kicking to someone else, At least you remembered me being the smaller and youngest of the others :)

• Like 1

I don't think the kit producers will have any serious worries for a few decades yet.

I agree. its gonna take years for Hornby, Bachmann and other manufacturers to cover all the industrial shunters, and there will be variants the manufacturers (probably) won't produce.

I had pre ordered one of the black ones from Hattons, but having seen the new liverys I have pre ordered the peckett works green one and cancelled my pre order for the black one. I know that Hattons had sold out the black ones on pre order so if anyone was looking for a black one hattons May have one availible. Unless someone else has got in there first

Well, I've pre-ordered one of the new Pecketts. Having missed out previously because they all sold like hot cakes, I decided to get my order in the day I found out about them :)

I do like small locos, and an industrial layout has always been something at the back of my mind. One of the layouts that inspired me as a teenager was Alan Sibley and Brian Dorman's "Allied Marine", and I've always fancied doing something along the same lines. Maybe with this, and the forthcoming DJM Hudswell-Clarke, that will turn into a reality. One of the big advantages of industrial is that you can set it pretty much wherever and whenever you want, which gives maximum leeway for modeller's licence without being too unprototypical.

• Like 3

Well, I've pre-ordered one of the new Pecketts. Having missed out previously because they all sold like hot cakes, I decided to get my order in the day I found out about them :)

I did the same. out of curiosity which one did you pre-order? 

• RMweb Gold

I must confess that I haven't pre-ordered any of the newest batch just yet. I'm rather taken with all of them, but I just haven't got around to saying 'yes'!

The brownie point reserve is severely depleted just now, and I will need to keep some in hand for the DJM MSC model.

Hmmm, What a decision... Could be a... OH dammit!!

Ian.

Edit to change something I will immediately regret typing....

Edited by tomparryharry

I did the same. out of curiosity which one did you pre-order? 

I ordered the 560. An unnamed loco in ex-works livery seems to me to be the best choice for a generic, freelance industrial shunting plank. A named loco, or one in a specific livery, is a bit too linked with its real life location.  

• Like 2

I ordered the 560. An unnamed loco in ex-works livery seems to me to be the best choice for a generic, freelance industrial shunting plank. A named loco, or one in a specific livery, is a bit too linked with its real life location.  

ive done the same, and I agree, a loco that has a mane or a certain livery, can be a bit limiting to where it can be used.

ive done the same, and I agree, a loco that has a mane or a certain livery, can be a bit limiting to where it can be used.

It is a shame that no one is listening for requests to provide generic liveries for the Industrials!

Mark Saunders

Edited by Mark Saunders

It is a shame that no one is listening for requests to provide generic liveries for the Industrials!

Like with some of the sentinels, it can be better to have an unbranded loco, it can then be used in any settings without a repaint.

Mark Saunders

The first 'Dodo' livery is the standard 'Works' livery that Peckett turned out their locos in.  The new additions are in much the same livery, so I don't see what your objection is?

Where are the requests that no one is listening to coming from?

The Huntley and Palmer livery is a known one, as is the Manchester Ship Canal too.

Actually the so-called MSC one isn't. Hornby admit that they winged it and basically gave us a generic forest green livery that a lot of Pecketts ran around in and taking the red blob off the side is a doddle

• Like 1