Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Hattons are suggesting March 2018 for the black one (Lilleshall livery), May 2018 for the works green number 560 and December 2018 for the works green "Niclausse". But they're also showing the black one as already sold out on pre-order, so if you haven't already ordered it you may struggle to get one. The other two are still available, at least at Hattons.

I'm mildly surprised by that, because I would have thought that a works livery is more suitable for a generic freelance layout (which is why I've ordered a number 560), and so would sell better than one in a more specific livery. But I suppose that, in this case, the Lilleshall livery is pretty generic anyway - it doesn't have the name anywhere on it - and maybe people prefer their small industrial locos to be black. The Lilleshall livery is also a good base for customisation, as you could easily add some additional lettering without needing to change much, whereas customising the works livery versions would require a more extensive repaint.

I did take the precaution of ordering a Lilleshall one in February after losing out on the Huntley & Palmers example the previous year. I have checked this morning that Rails will be able to fulfil my order if they get the number of units they have ordered from Hornby.

I did take the precaution of ordering a Lilleshall one in February after losing out on the Huntley & Palmers example the previous year. I have checked this morning that Rails will be able to fulfil my order if they get the number of units they have ordered from Hornby.

I wonder how many cancellations there will be with the 14" & 16" Barclays becoming available?

Mark Saunders

I think the projected appearance of the Barclay will at least ease things.

I ordered a Lilleshall Peckett from Rails a couple of months ago. I suspect it may turn out to be a bit late in the day, but if in March they turn around and advise me that Hornby haven't delivered the number of units ordered so they in turn can't honour my order, I'll just shrug my shoulders and either wait a month or so for a green one, or simply go to Hatton's for another Barclay.

Gnashing of teeth, foaming at the mouth and calling down the wrath of God or anybody else who can be bothered is no longer necessary in case of refusal cos there'll be another 0-4-0 along in a minute

Edited by Caledonian

Unfortunately from some comments I suspect quite a few bought Pecketts in the frenzy without really asking why ;)

The second batch selling so fast is great but I do suspect a lot of chancers in there too. Still as long as they sell so Hornby makes more in the future I don't mind if their second hand value crashes ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Hornby+dodo&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhornby+peckett+dodo.TRS0&_nkw=Hornby+peckett+dodo&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3427-Peckett-W4-0-4-0-Steam-Locomotive-Dodo-No-563-Rare/162664805680?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

• RMweb Gold

My first foray into Peckett's is still singular. Still boxed up, it's staying there. Should the price drop, there's room on the shelf for one or two siblings, so I'm not too worried. I must confess that I'm highly interested in a Barclay or 3, and If DJM bring out the MSC Austerity, then the MSC Peckett might venture out from the box. Might ask Mr Jones if he will consider making Haulwen to partner No8 in Mountain Ash. I can but dream!

Ian.

I do fancy that ex-works livery, mind.....

Edited because I'm sometimes cr*p at proof-reading my own posts!

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of a suitable paint match for the Peckett factory green?

Cheers,

David

I'm reliably informed that the older paints came in quite a bold pigment, and were 'let down' with a white, to gain whichever hue is required. The Caledonian Railway blue is such a case. I'm not sure which green is a base pigment, however.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

and then there was probably those that thought, Ooo, I'll have a few of those and make a pretty penny dribbling them out every now and then on Ebay looking at the silly prices some were fetching at shows and auction.

Hopefully Hornby announcing further runs and Hattons saying their planned AB will be here in January with plenty to go around will have firmly pi$$ed on the speculators chips.

Serves the bassa's right!

P

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

If it looks to be a goose, but not a golden egg, the chicks may find themselves left in the nest.

In other words... speculators may not accumulate, and the shops supplying them end up with a whole load of cancelled preorders stuck on their shelves... and what happens when shops end up stuck with tons of unsold stock ? Dumped.

I don't think it will be that bad, I suspect theirs enough buyers for sellers out there and will sell well and fast but not inflated. Same goes for the other two works liveried ones. There's room in the market for both the AB and the Peckett, and probably one or two more before it hits saturation.

Don't forget whilst the AB will sell in droves, Hattons isn't a network of retailers /swapmeet traders / ebay dealers/ model railway shop retailer nationwide... there's lots of people the Peckett will reach that the AB won't.

Edited by adb968008

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

That will be then. Meanwhile, in the now world and the reality that is Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3428-Peckett-W4-0-4-0-Steam-Locomotive-Manchester-Ship-Canal/372072420474?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

P

Afraid not, but I suggest you're in the same boat with users of the originals, who turned to whatever shade of green was available once the factory stuff got too shabby

Thanks for that. I suppose an older weathered version will have to do then rather than a shiny pristine type.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Fantastic! If I can botch up a Peckett, I can make oodles of cash! Why are these money making opportunities passing me by? Quick! My Lear Jet awaits!

:swoon: Will there be any takers with the tranche of new announcements or will Hattons have to drop the asking?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree I have two L&Y Pugs which run well and in pre-Peckett days I frequently thought about "industrialising" one with a blue paint job, and every time held off because its an attractive model of any attractive type and I didn't want to ruin it. Mr Peckett saves the day and in due course I'm reminded that a B4 ended up at Backworth.

Backworth?  Did It?  Do tell - can you point me towards a photo or anything?

A Backworth fan!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few Huntley & Palmers wagons...

I was looking around, and the following came up...

Aifix / GMR 54313 "HUNTLY & PALMERS" Single Vent Van  Green, with the H&P Round Trade Mark (As used for Ginger Nuts!) on the doors...

NEW in the 1980 Catalogue...

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/WagonsT.htm

Apparently Bachmann has done an H&P Open Wagon as well...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113035-more-pre-grouping-wagons-in-4mm-the-d299-appreciation-thread/?p=2804744

This was part of a 3-wagon Limited Edion set for Modelzone...37-081Z

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ModelZone-Exclusive-Bachmann-Berks-Wagons/dp/B007C3UY8G

Also, another open wagon, Dapol based...and a real one too!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103556-Hornby-announce-peckett-w4-0-4-0st/page-81#entry2576117

Thanks to all the original posters..... :)

Edited by Sarahagain