Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

one must ask the question, at which point does the Peckett on a layout become as clichéd as the bus on a bridge? :smile_mini:

That got me thinking.

That would be a shame, as in reality the varieties and variations of industrial locos were almost endless. Even within the ranks of Pecketts themselves, there was a large number of variations, sub-classes etc. The W4 is a very nice, cute little loco, but perhaps not quite as typical of industrial motive power as they may eventually be portrayed on model railway layouts.

The way to deal with this, of course, is for more examples from other manufacturers to appear, such as Manning Wardle, Hunslet, Andrew Barclay, RSH, etc. etc.

Plus perhaps some RTR examples of the more antiquated industrial diesels, although the more modern Hornby Sentinel and Oxford Janus are still very nice.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are there unscrupulous individuals already pre-ordering these in large quantities in order to make a quick buck on Ebay?

I wonder how many people will pre-order the same loco from two or more places to avoid disappointment and what will happen to the extras they order / buy. This may slew the market as well.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Facebook post from Hornby just now saying the two new Pecketts sold out almost instantly on pre order but that more are being added.

Looks like my light hearted remark about EBay Profiteers buying in bulk wasn't so far off the mark after all.

• RMweb Gold

That got me thinking.

That would be a shame, as in reality the varieties and variations of industrial locos were almost endless. Even within the ranks of Pecketts themselves, there was a large number of variations, sub-classes etc. The W4 is a very nice, cute little loco, but perhaps not quite as typical of industrial motive power as they may eventually be portrayed on model railway layouts.

The way to deal with this, of course, is for more examples from other manufacturers to appear, such as Manning Wardle, Hunslet, Andrew Barclay, RSH, etc. etc.

Plus perhaps some RTR examples of the more antiquated industrial diesels, although the more modern Hornby Sentinel and Oxford Janus are still very nice.

I am pretty sure other types will follow CK, I think it is just a case of watch this space...

• Like 2

Well I have been reading this thread from the start. I admit that I picked up a No 11 here in Australia for a not too bad price. 

The one thing I fail to understand is Hornby announcing the runs for next year already and specifically the Peckett. I would have gone with some less popular locomotives. This would have been to start the discussion on the back catalogue and create a demand for the other locos which would then be supply and demand matched. As they went for the peckett, are we looking at the possibility that Hornby will look at pre orders and produce it in the numbers that will satisfy that demand. 

This could back fire spectacularly so they produce (and I am guessing runs here) say 6000 of each version... (guessing that the preorders are crazy)  which would be a double run of each. I dont know of what a standard run would be, but lets assume it is 3000.  This would flood the market and we would see as suggested by Porcy a Peckett on every layout that has a bus on a bridge. (BTW my layout on has 1 bridge and it has never had a bus on it!) 

Just say this glut of Pecketts occurred. would we see another run in 2019 which I guess would be down to a single loco/ livery! 

So if the pent up demand is statisfied does this kill off the ongoing requirement for the locomotive? 

Could we see pecketts discounted in our life time? 

This is all navel gazing but are they testing the advertising VS economics model by letting the information out early OR is there a interesting strategy to create a demand and see how nuts the collectors go for them and how many are over inflated and placed on ebay in the following months?  

I do hope so Andy. As one of the people who preordered Dodo and didn't get one. Maybe one day I will be the owner of a Hornby Peckett. After all the Eagles did get back together.

I never knew you were from WA...The Eagles..they did win Premerships y'know?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C. (A Dockers supporter)

• RMweb Gold

On the Hornby website it says that these 2018 locos are DCC ready. The Kernow website says they are 8-pin DCC ready, but the first issue of Pecketts were 4-pin. I assume that Kernow have made a mistake, but it would be nice to know what the correct DCC status is.

Facebook post from Hornby just now saying the two new Pecketts sold out almost instantly on pre order but that more are being added.

Looks like my light hearted remark about EBay Profiteers buying in bulk wasn't so far off the mark after all.

But if everyone who wanted one of the first four (inc Lilleshall) and didn't get one, preordered the new ones, then the ebay gamblers will get their fingers burned. If you don't order one now, its your own fault!

I was thinking this might be the case too. Grey seems more likely and would certainly be something different, but could be a harder sell. On the whole I applaud Hornby's decision to make more in works green, given that it sounds like a lot of W4s would have been delivered wearing it. After all, it's by far the most versatile livery for modellers to put into the employment of a fictional business.

Another thing that makes me think the original was actually in photgraphic grey is the fact that the works number is writ large on the saddle tank; that's definitely not a commercial livery.

Not that it really makes a blind bit of difference; should I fall heir to one of these beasties the big number and the Peckett & Sons inscription will vanish as quickly as the locos themselves.

Never mind all this froth about the green ones; when's my black one coming? I thought they were due in September but now people are saying March or May next year.

Thus far there appears to be no announcement or explanation, but the Hornby on-line catalogue is now showing the later date

The best guess currently in these here parts is that Hornby relinquished the production slot for a later but bigger one so that we'll now get three together; the black one with the flat dome and the two greenies.

Personally, having paid my hard-earned money to the Sheffield lot, I'd rather like to see the flat domed one sooner rather than later.

• RMweb Gold

Thus far there appears to be no announcement or explanation, but the Hornby on-line catalogue is now showing the later date

The best guess currently in these here parts is that Hornby relinquished the production slot for a later but bigger one so that we'll now get three together; the black one with the flat dome and the two greenies.

Personally, having paid my hard-earned money to the Sheffield lot, I'd rather like to see the flat domed one sooner rather than later.

The dates given by Hornby for all three are different, so I am not convinced they are being produced in one batch.

Roy

The dates given by Hornby for all three are different, so I am not convinced they are being produced in one batch.

Roy

And to save me the trouble of looking, those dates are?

March for Lilleshall, April for 560 and December for Niclausse.

Roy

Ah most kind. An 8 month separation between the two greenies, which are to all intents and purposes the same, makes a degree of sense. March and April for the first two seems a little odd though. Still, the sooner the better for the black one and then my birthday is in April so I suppose I might be lucky.

I hope the supplies will be good enough to return to the original ideas of using the loco as basis for conversions, other classes or other makers types. With such limited supplies so far such alterations were just not on, risky if the project failed. I wanted two for my now very elderly P4 line, which is going to be refurbished over the winter, to get it back to fully running order, with now rusting rail sections replaced with nickel silver.

The conversion to P4 looks easy, if a but tight on clearances, with just new tyres on the existing wheels, eased outwards on new axles, with a chassis widened with face plates added to the cast chassis.

Really the only details to change are the whistles which need a brass version with a tiny flange to stop the bending and loss. The same applies to the Salter valve levers, made in brass would be far better.

A much more extensive re-build would be for a 3ft gauge version, with outside frames, the drive train would still fit into a brass block chassis, with non working outside frames, set up for 12mm fine scale track.

From the one or two dealers I spoke to it is heading for the same sell out, but Hornby have increased the quantities. It is nothing to do with people matching them to exact layouts, the locos sell easily anyway, quality items always do, something Hornby have rather overlooked in the past.

I hope the supplies will be good enough to return to the original ideas of using the loco as basis for conversions, other classes or other makers types. With such limited supplies so far such alterations were just not on, risky if the project failed. I wanted two for my now very elderly P4 line, which is going to be refurbished over the winter, to get it back to fully running order, with now rusting rail sections replaced with nickel silver.

The conversion to P4 looks easy, if a but tight on clearances, with just new tyres on the existing wheels, eased outwards on new axles, with a chassis widened with face plates added to the cast chassis.

Really the only details to change are the whistles which need a brass version with a tiny flange to stop the bending and loss. The same applies to the Salter valve levers, made in brass would be far better.

A much more extensive re-build would be for a 3ft gauge version, with outside frames, the drive train would still fit into a brass block chassis, with non working outside frames, set up for 12mm fine scale track.

From the one or two dealers I spoke to it is heading for the same sell out, but Hornby have increased the quantities. It is nothing to do with people matching them to exact layouts, the locos sell easily anyway, quality items always do, something Hornby have rather overlooked in the past.

I doubt that we will ever return to being able to wander into the nearest Hornby stockist and rely on picking up something that was released, say, a year previously.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

... at which point does the Peckett on a layout become as clichéd as the bus on a bridge?...

...That would be a shame, as in reality the varieties and variations of industrial locos were almost endless... The way to deal with this, of course, is for more examples from other manufacturers to appear, such as Manning Wardle, Hunslet, Andrew Barclay, RSH, etc....

Then again, we are now one additional 'traditional appearance steam industrial' better off than only having the Austerity 0-6-0ST available in OO RTR made to current standard.

With announcements of the B4 from Dapol and whatever small 0-6-0T it is that DJM proposes, that should be a couple more petite locos to join this group; and to probe what the sustained market interest might be. 

There will I am sure be shunting puzzleists with excellently schemed layouts capable of representing a range of businesses to suit different locos, liveries and stock, exhibiting two hourly changes, from jam to biscuits to canned goods to beverages. But that is a minority. I suspect much of the demand for a 'small industrial' to operate the siding of a rail served business will be well served by the Peckett, and a couple more examples of similar size will effectively mop up the remainder.

Then again, we are now one additional 'traditional appearance steam industrial' better off than only having the Austerity 0-6-0ST available in OO RTR made to current standard.

With announcements of the B4 from Dapol and whatever small 0-6-0T it is that DJM proposes, that should be a couple more petite locos to join this group; and to probe what the sustained market interest might be. 

There will I am sure be shunting puzzleists with excellently schemed layouts capable of representing a range of businesses to suit different locos, liveries and stock, exhibiting two hourly changes, from jam to biscuits to canned goods to beverages. But that is a minority. I suspect much of the demand for a 'small industrial' to operate the siding of a rail served business will be well served by the Peckett, and a couple more examples of similar size will effectively mop up the remainder.

It immediately means an end to industrial annexes featuring a big heavy Austerity 0-6-0ST shunting a small factory/brewery/distillery yard, but on the whole I suspect that its mostly going to be employed not as an add-on to large exhibition layouts but as the ideal resident for small shunting layouts at home. 

In my case I started off with the traditional big locos and multiple coaches in the loft. These days the loft has been abandoned and its tank engines and goods wagons on a stretched minories running the length of the wall next to my desk. Much cleaner, much more civilised and the Peckett comes as the answer to the proverbial maiden's prayer. I'd be surprised if I was the only one, especially given the way prices are going. 

• Like 2