Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

What department store was it? Not that I expect them to have any left.

Bentalls in Kingston-Upon-Thames. Unfortunately, last time I went they seemed to have stopped stocking Hornby altogether - whether that was temporary or permanent I don't know. I'll keep an eye out.

• RMweb Gold

I have just seen a picture on FaceBook of a beautiful blue Peckett named "Lytham St. Anne's" which has just been restored and is at the Midland Railway in Butterly. It looks just like the Hornby H&P loco. The picture was taken by Simon Beedie and is on the UK Heritage Hub page. By the way, I know a lot of people are anti FaceBook but most of the railway groups, magazines and preserved railways have pages so it is a great source of news and photographs.

I thought I'd seen a pic somewhere else and here it is on here!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111004-out-and-about-on-the-preservation-scene-20162017/?p=2706639

Lovely picture, lovely loco.

All the best,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 1

Bentalls in Kingston-Upon-Thames. Unfortunately, last time I went they seemed to have stopped stocking Hornby altogether - whether that was temporary or permanent I don't know. I'll keep an eye out.

Bentalls stock toy lines as a seasonal Christmas product and either sell off in sales, or store or return to the makers.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Surely that's not the point. If there's something you want next Christmas, this is obviously the place to go to see if they've got any going cheap.

Well said, Budgie.

Rob.

Bentalls stock toy lines as a seasonal Christmas product and either sell off in sales, or store or return to the makers.

Stephen.

I think it was all due to Hornby pulling out of the department stores.

My local department store Daniel's of Windsor closed the modelling and model railway department just after the new year, as did Boswell' s of Oxford.

Regards Mark

Oh that's a bit sad I purchased something from Daniels back in 2011 when we were visiting the UK with the family. I think it was a LNER CCT. Any how the world moves on.

• 4 weeks later...

From one extreme to another! anyone want a H&P Peckett for £22,28? There is an eBay listing for one, the snag is that it is in China,of course that's not the only snag, I suspect it's a way of harvesting bidders personal details.

I have just reported the post as there have been quite a few of these lately, previous genuine listings are cloned with the exception of the price which is ridiculously low. There have been quite a few 'bargain' n gauge locos recently too. Experienced modellers who know their prices won't be taken in but maybe newcomers to the hobby will get caught out.

From one extreme to another! anyone want a H&P Peckett for £22,28? There is an eBay listing for one, the snag is that it is in China,of course that's not the only snag, I suspect it's a way of harvesting bidders personal details.

I have just reported the post as there have been quite a few of these lately, previous genuine listings are cloned with the exception of the price which is ridiculously low. There have been quite a few 'bargain' n gauge locos recently too. Experienced modellers who know their prices won't be taken in but maybe newcomers to the hobby will get caught out.

I've reported it as well, plus a few other similar ones as well over the last few days. I've noticed the thieving sh*ts have now started using English names but with the address still in Chinese characters. If they fix that they will be harder to spot. You'd think the combined brainpower at EBay would get their fingers out to stop it before it corrupts the site completely Edited by daltonparva

• 2 weeks later...

We've discussed before how the W4 featured two quite different cabs; the original or "Hornby" version with the rear comprising a two part rear sheet suspended between two full-height stanchions and the later full cab which wrapped around the rear corners. This full cab was used for all or most 20th century-built Pecketts irrespective of designation, but in our discussion we never quite got around to dating its introduction.

The earliest I've seen, which of course isn't necessarily the earliest example is 977, the Ayr Harbour Board/GSWR one.

Is anybody able to come up with a date for the changeover?

• RMweb Gold

Stephen.

Went there for the first time a few months back, Hornby was gone.

However the latest Bachmann Times said they were now a new stockist.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres Arkwright, now converted to EM and fitted with Digitrains Zimo sound chip

IMG_7420.JPG

Short video on my blog too

https://kirkmellington.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/welcome-arkwright/

I can't find the reference to the EM conversion mentioned in your blog, can you offer an exact link please?

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

I think its time to move on now. These effectively sold out four months ago.

Continuously moaning because the boat was missed achieves nothing.

Rob.

But there might be another boat and moaning gives us something to do while we wait :)

I can't find the reference to the EM conversion mentioned in your blog, can you offer an exact link please?

Regards

theres not much to link to really, it's in the January 2017 update on EMgauge70s blog, about half way down and is just 2 photos and a few words. The rest was courage and trial & error on my part

• RMweb Premium

I have an unused H&P Peckett, bought on impulse at Christmas. Would be willing to sell if someone would care to PM me an offer. It looks a bit odd with the engines in my showcase.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

That shade of blue is gorgeous. I never wanted one, when Hornby announced it , I wasn't interested . But when they came out and I saw it in the flesh I loved it. It's on the layout, doesn't get a lot of use but potters around the shunting yard. I love it, but for me it is the shade of blue, not so interested in the green or forthcoming black ones .

• RMweb Gold

I have an unused H&P Peckett, bought on impulse at Christmas. Would be willing to sell if someone would care to PM me an offer. It looks a bit odd with the engines in my showcase.

Tim

Personally, I thought it looked just fine in the showcase. A very pretty little engine.

Mark

Forgive me if this has been covered earlier : Was any reason given for the short production run of these locos ?  I assume it was a short production run because I have never seen locos sell out this quickly.

I don't think it was a short production run, the problem, l think, was that there was such an overwhelming demand for Hornby's first serious quality industrial loco that l think they were taken by surprise.

Having worked with China l know that production 'slots' are difficult to arrange 'out of sync' and it's probably wise for them not to have attempted it.   Whatever the demand might have been.  There is another Peckett scheduled for release, and it will be interesting to see how it sells.

They might have 'missed the boat' on these, but surely it's better (other than for those who didn't get one!) in the light of Hornby's finances to have sold out?

• Like 1

The next Peckett has completely sold out on pre order not sure if it's due to Hornby doing smaller runs or retailers ordering more but I would order one in advance if you want one of this year's models.

Some retailers have had their orders for the next Peckett rejected, as there are not enough to go around.

Even with the orders having been placed some 9 months ahead of expected production, Hornby are unable to increase the number being made, even though they would be guaranteed sales as soon as they reached the UK.

Needless to say, it is infuriating having to tell long-term customers that we cannot supply the model they want this coming Christmas - it makes us look extremely foolish, and many cannot see that the problem is not of our making.