RMweb

Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

Overall for me Bachmann have got a pretty good all round range this year. Not for me but pleased to see the often requested class 20/3 announced, however a 4BEP and VEA in red/grey will turn up in my collection.

On re-liveries good to see the large logo livery re-released as 47444 and I'm quite interested in D8011 in green. On the negative side the Thumpers being sent back to China to have weathering applied and re- released. It's a great model but just goes to show how flawed the decision was not to produce the centre car and on the same vain disappointed not to see a centre car for the class 101 DMU.

Also disappointing is the still continued delay of previously announced new models, not really bothered by the class 158, 166 or 90 but it really is quite excessive now.

Edited by steve1023

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have it labeled as BR(S) on their own site, hence the question.

In that case,what I think it might be is that 92211 MAY have been one of the 9F's allocated later in its existence to the SR to haul the block oil trains from Fawley.It started life (a very short one)on the WR for a number of years.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Have just seen the image of the new black 9F. If it's a southern loco, why does it have a WR route indicator dot on its cabside?

Bachmann have it labeled as BR(S) on their own site, hence the question.

A quick search on BR database shows the loco's first allocation as Old Oak Common from 30/09/1959. It then moved to Westbury from 17/06/1961, afterwords it moved to Eastleigh and then onto Feltham before going up north. This explains why it carries the blue route dot and why it is labelled as being BR(S) locomotive. 

• RMweb Gold

Will this be the version some of us would have liked in the first batch, I wonder, i.e. dominoes with BR double arrows?

I doubt it, Bachmann tend to do prototypical liveries, 85s never carried dominoes as far as I can tell, I can't find a single photo of an 85 with dominoes.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

A quick search on BR database shows the loco's first allocation as Old Oak Common from 30/09/1959. It then moved to Westbury from 17/06/1961, afterwords it moved to Eastleigh and then onto Feltham before going up north. This explains why it carries the blue route dot and why it is labelled as being BR(S) locomotive. 

Thank you.As I thought,allocated for the Fawley refinery trains.I saw the loco fresh outshopped at Swindon on 03/09/1959

• RMweb Gold

I'm delighted with the Midland 1P, a Highbridge stalwart of old. Now what will I do with the unstarted craftsman kit?

Also pleasing is some of the new tooled wagonry, including the prestwin and vanwide. I'd been gently collecting a rake of Parkside vanwides, and will continue to do so, and are considerably cheaper than the Bachmann forthcoming - I will say no more.

Still no Swindon class 120 or sealed beam class 45/46 rerelease or as mentioned no 3H, all are on the to do list with craftsman bits and projects on the go. I'm sure I will get there before RTR. I had thought the 24/1 would be dropped - it was announced the same time as the NBL class 43 which has been out a few months ago. But still at design stage?

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I doubt it, Bachmann tend to do prototypical liveries, 85s never carried dominoes as far as I can tell, I can't find a single photo of an 85 with dominoes.

Andi

I wonder if some people are remembering them with black painted headcode panels?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

In the first post.

But 92211 was a Southern Region locomotive for much of it's life.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/std9f_01.html

Built 9/1959.

Transferred to Eastleigh 1961. To Feltham 6/1963, Transferred to ER 9/1963.

Jason

Yes it will be 92211

• Like 1

Prestwin (you can pretty much guarantee it will be the 1/274 10ft WB version - same as the Airfix kit) / VEA / carflats / bauxite BAA's - all great but the RRP's ????????? - absolute JOKE !!

00 gauge Prestwin same price as an O gauge van - just daft !!!!

Dreading the day when Mr Parkside decides to retire .............................

BCV - you can't just paint the existing BCO brown and expect it to be even partly right - just look at the MSV balls-up - do some proper research

and where's the no-brainer blue 2-HAP ?? - just a weathered DEMU that nobody wants cos there's still hundreds of the original batch washing about.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Roy and Andy for your help. Having found the relevant section they haven't updated on the teak Thompsons which I've now had on order for three years. Nice to know they are progressing the birdcages.

Bachmann website shows both the crimson/cream AND the teak Thompsons due in Feb/Mar. Now there's a history of website errors when they load the new releases, but since these were announced years ago, it may well be correct.

They also show the Birdcages as delivery Sep/Oct, presumably this depends on successful livery samples.

Edited by Andy W

Just checked the website to see March station, disappointed to see it's been modelled with the current cut back canopy

Not too familiar with the original, but they list a canopy as a separate item . Is that what is required to finish the job?

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the 1P, even better to see that Bachmann can now essay a round-topped Midland boiler with Johnson fittings. Far from being an esoteric oddity, this loco sits well in their range and fits a number of interesting themes even if the appropriate driving trailers are missing. Looks like we'll have to do what the LMS did and hack a brake third.

One small plea. If anyone at Bachmann has read this far down the thread and is still conscious, can you please consider 1928 lined black livery for the LMS version, preferably with pre-1936 gold lettering? My Lanky radial has received counselling for its dowdy LMS attire and is just about ok with it now, but I'd rather not go through that again.

• Like 2

The 1P is interesting. It's not something I'd ever have put on a wishlist, but now that it's been announced I definitely want one!

Wikipedia (unusually) doesn't have much background on these, can anyone tell me what kind of traffic and in what kind of locations they were typically used? 

The are some interesting new RTP buildings and structures, as well (although some of the prices, it has to be said, are becoming a bit eye-watering). I like the "tin tabernacle", it's a more realistic depiction of the kind of nonconformist chapel often found near railway stations than the existing options from Hornby. Although the colour seems a bit wrong, in reality, these would have been more often painted a pastel blue or green than red.

• Like 1

The 1P is interesting. It's not something I'd ever have put on a wishlist, but now that it's been announced I definitely want one!

If a push-pull version was produced, a letter to Hornby might be useful for a driving trailer (from their non-corridor brake third)....But tell them to fit riveted bogies!

• Like 1

Over the moon with the announcement of the 1P 0-4-4T. Been number one in my Wishlist since Bachmann produced the 7F's. Can see these going down very well with Somerset & Dorset fans alike. 58072 is a must for me! Would also have to get another if an SDJR livery follows at a later date ;) 

Well done Bachmann and wish all the best with this surprise venture!  

• RMweb Gold

A 1930's 1p has just cost me 11,100p, that's inflation for you.

That's cheap though, compared to a 1933 one.....

If you folks are trying to conjure up a pun based on the letter p = penny, I should remind you that prior to decimalisation in February 1971 the abbreviation for penny was d, from the Latin denarius.

• Like 4