RMweb

Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

After a long wait yesterday I finally collected my sound-fitted Cl.68s from The Hobby Shop at Faversham, DRS livery 68005 and Scotrail livery 68006.

At first I was most impressed, good strong box, no body parts floating about in the packing, plenty of documentation (all 10 pages of it!!) and two good-looking models (apart from the DRS livery mess-up).

Got the DRS loco on the programming track, reset the loco address, set-up the loco on my Z21 and then placed it on the running track after which things went downhill. The sound was over-whelming and when I looked through the copious documentation there was no mention of the CV settings or even a reference to what make of decoder was installed - the only hint was a mention of "drivelock" . A quick phone call to DCC Supplies this morning confirmed that it was a LokSound decoder and CV63 was subsequently changed to 40. Why Dapol make no mention of the CVs in 4 pages of instructions is beyond me.

Anyway my rather noisy loco was placed on the track, sound was turned on, the engine revved up and there it stayed. No movement backwards or forwards. Disappointment set in......

Then decided to setup the Scotrail loco and, much to my relief, the loco moved away and ran perfectly. At least I had one loco that was not a dummy. By that time it was time to retire for the evening.

Did not do anything to the non-moving loco until one of my friends dropped in this afternoon. We put Defiant back on the track but still no movement. Turned the loco on and off a few times and then suddenly a small jerk was noticed. Carried on doing this and gradually the loco freed itself up and is now running as smoothly as the Scotrail version.

Its my understanding that the sound-decoders are fitted in the UK so I would have thought that the initial non-performance of the loco would have been picked-up at the time of installation unless, of course, they don't check this when the decoder is installed. The decoder just gets installed and nothing else.

Anyway, Defiant was given its first charter train to take north of the border to where Daring was waiting to take the charter to somewhere between Russia and Austria/Hungary......

post-586-0-16015500-1498231247.jpg

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me please?

I have bought six OO Gauge Class 68s. A few weeks ago I tried running two of them for the first time together as a pair. As the pair are going around the curves/bends the couplings are becoming unhooked which means that the locos are not attached. On most of the occasions when this happens one of the couplings comes off of the locos and falls onto the track which consequently derails one or both of the locos.

I have tried running them coupled up at a slow speed but this still happens. I have tried not using the spring couplings and I have removed the coupling and pocket from one end of one loco and glued a new one on, not using the spring at all. This hasn't worked and the coupling has just fallen off. I have also tried using the bar couplings that come with pairs of wagons. This doesn't work though and isn't practical.

Has anyone else bought more than one 68 and tried attaching two 68s together to run together?

If so have the locos/couiplings stayed attached?

Has anyone modified the couplings so that this doesn't happen?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you very much in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you running DC or DCC ?

How closely are they speed matched ? If not very closely there will be a lot of push pull which could make the couplings fall out.

When I ran two 37s together on the prodigy I assigned them the same number after having tweaked the acceleration / deceleration CVs to get them as close as possible first

• RMweb Premium

Are you running DC or DCC ?

How closely are they speed matched ? If not very closely there will be a lot of push pull which could make the couplings fall out.

When I ran two 37s together on the prodigy I assigned them the same number after having tweaked the acceleration / deceleration CVs to get them as close as possible first

Thank you very much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I am running on DCC. I haven't speed matched them as I don't know how to do that at the moment. I bought a new controller a couple of months ago and I am still getting used to the basic features but this could be something to look at. I will have to have a look in the instruction manual. I may have managed to solve the problem. I have changed the couplings from the Dapol ones which come fitted to Hornby ones. These work a lot better despite them looking practically the same. I am assuming that the bar on the coupling is more rigid and sturdier. I have ran two locos together and they seem to run fine provided that they don't go any higher than speed setting twelve. Hopefully this will continue.

Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

I will report more about how it's going on my thread.

Anyone got a roof view of one of the 68's in the plain livery 68026 - 031? I have a sheet of transfers and can't work out with transfers go on the air con units on the roof? Ta.

The 'do not step' H&S decal goes on the aircon units. Dapol have confirmed they shall be produced in batch 2.

post-22366-0-86517300-1500120833_thumb.png

Hey everyone. Will Dapol be releasing a Class 68 with the DRS livery with just the DRS logo, as shown below in this link? It is the 68027.

I would have thought so eventually! Probably be in Trans Pennine Express livery by the time they do release it.

• RMweb Gold

Hey everyone. Will Dapol be releasing a Class 68 with the DRS livery with just the DRS logo, as shown below in this link? It is the 68027.

Thanks

http://www.mainlinediesels.net/images/basic/stadler_2945_51.jpg

Their digest is probably the best place to ask as you talk to them directly:

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/class-68/5317-next-batch-of-class-68-s-any-improvements/page2

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Guest eddie reffin

I noticed that Dapol are proposing a run of replacement bodies for the original release in DRS livery on a one for one basis. This is a very good positive step and should be welcomed. I'm sure the naysayers will say that the mistake shouldn't have happened in the first place but kudos to Dapol for fixing the issue.

• Like 1

I noticed that Dapol are proposing a run of replacement bodies for the original release in DRS livery on a one for one basis. This is a very good positive step and should be welcomed. I'm sure the naysayers will say that the mistake shouldn't have happened in the first place but kudos to Dapol for fixing the issue.

Yes hats off to Dapol for providing future replacement DRS 68001, 68002 & 68005 bodyshells via DCC Supplies...great move.

I have ordered all 3 which I have but what's concerning is that I have to pay for postage for each one where I know for a fact they will all be shipped in the same box for £4.50 but I'm getting charged £13.50, almost like DCC Supplies are skimming off the top via postage charges.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

While I admire their effort now to fix the issue, I find it surprising that they are expecting the customer to foot the bill for postage both ways, if I've read it correctly. Especially for the premium paid on 68001. Surely the customer paying to send back and Dapol paying to ship out would at least be a decent compromise.

• RMweb Gold

I've booked mine to collect from chirk

More importantly though I browsed the other spares and have got replacement buffers and steps etc for the chiltern one that took a tumble from the layout

• Like 1

While I admire their effort now to fix the issue, I find it surprising that they are expecting the customer to foot the bill for postage both ways, if I've read it correctly. Especially for the premium paid on 68001. Surely the customer paying to send back and Dapol paying to ship out would at least be a decent compromise.

Agreed and see my previous post about the postage charges as by the time I ship my 3 back it would have cost me £18 both ways, surely one postage charge of £4.50 from DCC Supplies would have sufficed for 3 shells in one box.

I will contact both Dapol and DCC Supplies to enquire about this because I will ship my 3 in one box @4.50 so why can't DCC Supplies do the same???

• RMweb Gold

Let's be fair, they didn't have to do this and many people on their digest were happy to pay towards a replacement. £4.50 is not a lot each way, and I am sure something can be done if returning more than one.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Surprised but delighted at this offer from Dapol. I have the limited edition 68001 and to be honest, without all the fuss made on the forum at the time, I would never have noticed/realised that the body was mis-printed. Still, at £200 I do of course want it to be perfect so have taken up the offer.

Opted to collect from Chirk (I think), by putting a comment in the order box. I visited the factory shop for the first time last week and this will give me a good excuse to go back. I have a feeling that this 'free' exchange may actually cost me a lot of money ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit naff in my opinion for them to expect to pay anything towards the replacement bodies. Why should the customers have to pay for postage? They already did for the model in the first place. Why should they have to pay for Dapol fixing their cock up?

Edited by Hilux5972