RMweb

SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

As ever, we'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

They all look brilliant, so it's difficult to choose, but I would want mine to work on a fictitious light railway in the pre-preservation age, so I was wondering how easy it would be to remove part of the RTR decoration, eg. removing the name 'Pioneer' but leaving the rest (so I could substitute an etched nameplate, for example).

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi all,

As promised, here are images of all 12 painted samples.

As has been noted, these are initial samples. Not all lining is present and we have made some notes with the factory for revisions.

All 12 versions are still available to pre-order for £99 each on THIS page.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Will you be asking for the red below the running plate to be changed to the correct darker shade?

Also can you tell me if the coal load will pop out of the bunker or is it part of the body moulding?

I have one on order – I may yet stretch to a second.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifP_012_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 323 “Bluebell” in Bluebell Railway lined blue (2010s)

Impressive set of initial samples; really capture the 'character' which was lost on the AI...

Looking forward to Bluebell joining the collection!

Edited by jafcreasey

• RMweb Gold

They all look brilliant, so it's difficult to choose, but I would want mine to work on a fictitious light railway in the pre-preservation age, so I was wondering how easy it would be to remove part of the RTR decoration, eg. removing the name 'Pioneer' but leaving the rest (so I could substitute an etched nameplate, for example).

Thanks.

It should be relatively easy to remove things such as the lining/name/number etc as they're applied using tampo printing.

Hopefully it'll be easy to fit a crew....an aspect of design many 00 tank locos and diseasels are lacking in.....

Here's a photo showing the body and cab removed from the running board which would allow you to install crew if required.

post-28458-0-20766700-1507630777_thumb.jpg

There's 4 screws to remove the body from the chassis. then 4 more to separate the running plate from the main body.

Hello Dave,

Will you be asking for the red below the running plate to be changed to the correct darker shade?

Also can you tell me if the coal load will pop out of the bunker or is it part of the body moulding?

I have one on order – I may yet stretch to a second.

1. This is currently under review. For reference, this is the front of the colour layout for 178.

post-28458-0-57596100-1507630776.png

2. The coal load is glued in to two locating lugs in the bottom of the coal bunker. Following the above steps to remove the body/cab from the running board will allow you to approach it from underneath and allow you to remove it without risking damage to visible parts of the loco.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Does counting rows of rivets make me a rivet counter? :stink: The picture of 178 which opened this topic displays one row of smokebox rivets and the table of variations states that 178 has one row and 753 two rows. On the painted samples it’s the other way around. I know the samples are only for the finish but I thought I’d mention it in case it slips through.

Here's a photo showing the body and cab removed from the running board which would allow you to install crew if required.

There's 4 screws to remove the body from the chassis. then 4 more to separate the running plate from the main body.

2. The coal load is glued in to two locating lugs in the bottom of the coal bunker. Following the above steps to remove the body/cab from the running board will allow you to approach it from underneath and allow you to remove it without risking damage to visible parts of the loco.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

The approach to designing these things ticks so many boxes. Congratulations to Dave and Hatton’s! I’m sure the turned brass whistle has been mentioned before but it looks good and should be much more robust.

The brass finish has been commented on. It might indeed be nice to have the dome and safety valve seating in real brass or a plated finish but it’s more important (IMHO, of course) to be consistent – both should look the same. I’m happy with it the way it is.

• RMweb Gold

Does counting rows of rivets make me a rivet counter? :stink: The picture of 178 which opened this topic displays one row of smokebox rivets and the table of variations states that 178 has one row and 753 two rows. On the painted samples it’s the other way around. I know the samples are only for the finish but I thought I’d mention it in case it slips through.

The smokeboxes between 178 and 753 have been transposed on these samples.

We've noted it with the factory and the final models will be correct as per the detail matrix in the first post.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

1. This is currently under review. For reference, this is the front of the colour layout for 178.

attachicon.gifPClassLayout_Front.PNG

This looks very impressive. Just the thought of lining out that Westinghouse pump in full gives me the heebie jeebies! Kudos to your factory workers, especially if it comes out as nicely as in that picture.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone at Hattons for being so open and helpful with information on both this and the Barclay 0-4-0. It's refreshing to see all these questions and concerns being answered so openly and gives me lots of confidence in the finished product. Long may it continue!

• Like 2

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone at Hattons for being so open and helpful with information on both this and the Barclay 0-4-0. It's refreshing to see all these questions and concerns being answered so openly and gives me lots of confidence in the finished product. Long may it continue!

What Skinnylinny said. 

AFAIC the "P" looks the biz, given the spec I can think of no reason why it shouldn't run well, and to my way of thinking the price isn't excessive for this level of detail, therefore I have one on order.  End of. 

Is that P4?

No, it's more sort of C14ish ..................... but on that subject, I presume no allowance has been made for P4 - or EM - wheels ( i.e. brakeshoe clearance ) but the crucial question is whether the 'P' uses an axle size familiar to the aftermarket wheel manufacturer ?

Edited by Wickham Green

What Skinnylinny said. 

AFAIC the "P" looks the biz, given the spec I can think of no reason why it shouldn't run well, and to my way of thinking the price isn't excessive for this level of detail, therefore I have one on order.  End of. 

It has no motor and is being towed by a USA. The USAs run beautifully. Therefore, the P will also run freely. So to speak.  :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely looking I must say.  The diminutive size doesn't half show up the huge great tension lock couplings though!!

Now that we have a up to date spec mini 0-6-0T on the way, how about a nice all singing and all dancing A1X Terrier to go with it?

• RMweb Premium

This looks very impressive. Just the thought of lining out that Westinghouse pump in full gives me the heebie jeebies! Kudos to your factory workers, especially if it comes out as nicely as in that picture.

To be pedantic the P tanks don't have Westinghouse air pumps!

Like most SECR engines, what may look like an 'air pump' is in fact a steam powered reverser - and a very good one at that according to crews I believe.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

To be pedantic the P tanks don't have Westinghouse air pumps!

Like most SECR engines, what may look like an 'air pump' is in fact a steam powered reverser - and a very good one at that according to crews I believe.

Which you rarely heard a Bulleid crew say! Most frustrating to prepare a West Country and then fail it on the steam reverser when you actually try moving it.

Roy