Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

Perhaps there will be a "tilt" switch in the van,  whenthe van is  in motion or subjected  to impacts  of coupling/buffering up tyhe decoder will respond with  appropriate sounds.

Does anyone else recall how an unfitted  freight train, when " stationary"  at a signal ,  the vans would creep as the buffers and couplings yielded and released energy,  it would send long travelling waves of motion up and down the length of the train? Pity the poor guard in the brakevan who would be thrown off his feet as the wave reversed direction. I think this was known as a rug or ruck

Ah! The wonderful musical sound the buffers made! *Sigh!*

I think the TTS goods van is a great idea, especially as the SR 20T van went everywhere in BR days, but wonder why it's just background sounds?  If they did one with generic steam sounds, this could be marshalled into any goods next to the loco, and indeed a short passenger working with a van attached. IE give a 'pocket money' entry level into sound for the expenditure on just one item of rolling stock initially?

You could probably swap out the chip for another TTS one and run it behind an DCC ready loco which does not have provision for sound but fitted with a plain DCC chip.

With only 4 wheels, you would need a good stay alive though.

Bit mixed on this one running as is.....

The other TTS chip choices are good but would have preferred a Valenta for the HST, maybe next year I suppose.

The soundless Crosti will need some work to convert to sound however as the tender does not have the devils plug nor pickups - it does have a speaker space however.

Guess I will unsolder the speaker, keep the chip in the loco and run wires to the tender where the speaker will be installed.

I wonder if the Crosti chip will go well in a plain 9F or did they sound really different in real life? I guess it depends whether or not Hornby have tuned the chuff accordingly (their weakness with these chips so far).

Likewise the MN chip, could probably be used in a light pacific. I don't think they sounded any different.

Surprised there isn’t a BR Duchess from the new tool especially considering how quickly 46256 and 46299 have disappeared from shelves despite premium pricing. In the same vein I am surprised Hornby see a market for 2 Patriots (albeit 1947 lined black hasn’t appeared on this model before) and the Black 5 which now really needs  either the Brassmasters detailing kit or an upgrade by Hornby to stand comparison with modern RTR.

Given how late in the year the new Coronations appeared along with 2 exclusives, they won't have had time evaluate a re-run just yet. Nothing to stop announcing something later or though, and the BR green ones have yet to appear.

Hints on the LMS version not selling as fast could be a rocky sign for the new Streamliner. That and Nelson, both replacing 2 adequate (even if not superb) models in one year is bit of a risk. The J36 is bound to be a winner however.

R3654 and R3655 are missing from the Hornby announcement as since they follow R3653 50040 in LL Blue, presumably they are Kernow's limited editions (from sneak previews) 50007 in GWR green and 50010 in LL with back roof? Not yet showing on the Kernow website, but it should mean they will appear around the same time?

50010 will have it's unique blue roof according to an article in Rail Express (There was even a picture I believe? Looked good!).

This is clearly not the place for an argument about the First World War. However, as a professional military historian I do object to having my statements labelled 'daft'. I was talking about Haig, and to say, as I did, that 'many consider him a war criminal' is indisputably true.

Why should 'a professional military historian' not be prone to daft statements? Repeating the claim that Haig was a war criminal is a daft thing to do.

Isn't it wise to see how well they sell though. Considering we've been told for decades that AC Electrics don't sell.

Jason

There's plenty of D&E subjects than AC electrics.

Class 104, 114, (new)155, 165, 175, 185 DMU's, Southern EMU's such as the 4BIG/CIG, 455, 456, 442, 465.... and many many wagon opportunities.

Edited by Starscream

Why should 'a professional military historian' not be prone to daft statements? Repeating the claim that Haig was a war criminal is a daft thing to do.

It is the duty of Historians to objectively reassess the accepted assessments of events as more information is released into the public domain. This can often lead to to unpalatable thoughts being aired. There is nothing more painful than the death of an illusion as someone once said. Churchill’s role in the later stages of the Second World War have recently come under scrutiny and not always to his benefit. This is the historian’s duty. We may not agree with their assessment but that doesn’t mean that they are daft!

Sorry Andy. Posted this while you were also posting.

Edited by Unknown Warrior

Although I don't model anything NBR, I'm glad to see Hornby go for a NBR liveried J36. Maybe this'll be the start and we might finally get a J15 done as a GER Blue Y14... 

The big highlight for me, however, is the announcement of 50033 - One that's been on my wishlist for some time! However, having seen the image on Hornby's website, I'm just hoping they get the shade of blue correct. If it is lighter, or the same shade as 50026 (which was meant to be the original lighter shade 0f NSE) then they'll have messed up majorly. If they do it in an appropriate darker shade, that's a guaranteed purchase for me!

• RMweb Gold

I'd have preferred a full fat BR Hall to the Castle and Grange but I guess you can never have too many GW 4-6-0's even if Capt Kernow seems to be switching allegiance to the flatlands in the east......

Eh?

What?

Who said that?

I categorically deny that the presence of two old, sold-out-of-service J72s on my loco roster is in any way, shape or form a cynical betrayal of my traditions, origins and railway honour to the temporary apotheosis that is the aesthetically and conceptually divergent railway that starts all it's locomotives with the letter 'J'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Am I hearing this right, a van with sound?

It's a nice idea, but what about the expletives?

Things like 'Yeow! That'll do yer! Give us a squeeze, Louise". Plus, all of the naughty words which will give me a sharp exit off the forum.

"Yer drivin' a loco, not bl**dy sheep."

"Do me a favour son. go over there, sit down, and stop wasting my bl**dy time".

The first time Hornby will release rolling stock with an age-related sticker...

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

Eh?

What?

Who said that?

I categorically deny that the presence of two old, sold-out-of-service J72s on my loco roster is in any way, shape or form a cynical betrayal of my traditions, origins and railway honour to the temporary apotheosis that is the aesthetically and conceptually divergent railway that starts all it's locomotives with the letter 'J'.

Didn't J72s work in Wales?

And the North West.

That's my excuse anyway. :)

Jason

Now that the dust is settling from two announcements in two days, I think it is fair to say Bachmann and Hornby have both come up with excellent releases for 2018. They have both found ways of depriving me from my money, however I should be able to shrink my back order list over the next few months, which is good news for my wallet. Depends on what appears from elsewhere!

My wish list has shrunk quite considerably over the last couple of years. Of course there are models I would like to see but realistically, financially I can’t afford them all at once anyway! Anyway it leaves plenty of excitement for 2019and beyond! One thing is for sure, the bar is constantly being raised. The Bachmann crane is a case in point, the very highest stands of model engineering and craftsmanship.

• RMweb Premium

Some KMRC limited editions are now listed on their website listed under Hornby 2018 Range:

R3672 Class 50 50010 Large logo with blue roof; and

R3673 Class 50 50007 GWR green (as in 1984);

R3674 Class 31 D5579 Golden Ochre;

R3675 Class 31 97204 BR Research livery.

They are limited to 350 models and are expected in Q1 2018.

No sign of the Bachmann sneak previewed LE Class 47s 47500 and 47625 yet, though.

EDIT - Also shown is R3662 Class 153 368 in GWR green livery, but this is not listed as a limited edition and is shown with a discount price below RRP. Has this been dropped as a main range release at the last minute, although it shows as expected Q1?

Edited by brushman47544