HST retirements and secondary deployments.

I think ScotRail has played a 'bit of a blinder' by acquiring and using shortened HSTs for some of their internal services.

As you say, a step up in quality; From an engineering point of view the sets are, I guess, a largely known quantity;  They should be well suited to keeping, or improving on point-to-point timings if that becomes an operational possibility; And with an engine at each end, a complete failure in the middle of the Highlands should be less likely.

You'd like to think that the use of this sort of cascaded and improved HST could be used elsewhere on the network if the infrastructure permits.  Norwich-Liverpool Lime Street and Cardiff-Portsmouth being two that spring to my mind. 

I think these former Great Western HSTS should have all gone to Cross Country in their full sets where the existing trains simply cannot cope and some Voyagers with Scottish vinyls applied could go to Scotland.

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 2

I think these former Great Western HSTS should have all gone to Cross Country in their full sets where the existing trains simply cannot cope and some Voyagers with Scottish vinyls applied could go to Scotland.

With most the GW HSTs coming out of service (apart from their short sets), all the EC sets to follow, plus possibly the EMT ones, I'm sure theirs still plenty spare if XC wanted some more.

Even if not enough for their full service, they could at least then run the Voyages in pairs on the remainder

On the subject of XC, there's set of their HST coaches with power doors on Craigentinny, east end adjacent to the wheel lathe.

No power cars on them yet.

• RMweb Premium

With most the GW HSTs coming out of service (apart from their short sets), all the EC sets to follow, plus possibly the EMT ones, I'm sure theirs still plenty spare if XC wanted some more.

Even if not enough for their full service, they could at least then run the Voyages in pairs on the remainder

On the subject of XC, there's set of their HST coaches with power doors on Craigentinny, east end adjacent to the wheel lathe.

No power cars on them yet.

Slight problem with the power doors on the XC sets - lack of training for the staff to use them..................

Cheers,

Mick

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Seen at a distance from the A96 road yesterday (24 September 2018): a 'short' HST in FGW colours heading south entering Stonehaven just after midday, presumably this 'unadvertised ordinary passenger' working off realtime trains... http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G69982/2018/09/24/advanced

Thanks,

Bill

Slam door sets just in use for crew training not for passengers to use

Slam door sets just in use for crew training not for passengers to use

At the moment that is the case, however use of Slam Door Fitted sets has now been added to ScotRail's safety case as a potential back up. There's quite a few DMUs set to leave the franchise by December and Wabtec has some pace to keep up with if everyone's going to be kept happy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good article on BBC Scotland news page with good interior photos much better than a certain other brand new train that has replaced HST,s elswhere ,but have a look at the comments posted by public not all pleasent.One chap seems to know a great deal about them and is very disparaging he wants new trains as they are better and more comfortable!

Good article on BBC Scotland news page with good interior photos much better than a certain other brand new train that has replaced HST,s elswhere ,but have a look at the comments posted by public not all pleasent.One chap seems to know a great deal about them and is very disparaging he wants new trains as they are better and more comfortable!

Anytime comments are open on a BBC Scotland news article, it's always when there is an opportunity to slate someone or something

As long as it's not the BBC themselves....   

Oh, they'll slate the BBC as well... usually people complaining that the BBC is too left wing, followed shortly by someone complaining that the BBC is a right-wing government stoolie... or not opening comments on other stories...

• Like 1

Newer and less comfortable more like!

Due to delays in the ScotRail HST refurbishment programme, some unrefurbished short sets with slam-doors will be used pending staff training. Three ex-GWR sets have moved up from store in Ely.

The sets will be formed: DM-TF-TS-TS-TGS-DM. Two members of catering staff will work from trolleys based in the TF.

Of course in this day and age one most also regrettably take into consideration that not all the comments are from the actual public, so the chap in question may indeed just be misinformed / have a different opinion or it could be a "professional" putting ideas into the minds of the readers.

Of course in this day and age one most also regrettably take into consideration that not all the comments are from the actual public, so the chap in question may indeed just be misinformed / have a different opinion or it could be a "professional" putting ideas into the minds of the readers.

Well people are entitled to their opinions, some people just dislike things that aren't new regardless of what they are actually like. My opinion is that this is an upgrade for Scotland's railways, re-introducing levels of comfort not seen on internal services since 1990.

• Like 1

A minor update to the diagram for tomorrow including all ECS moves:

Diagram HA901

5B18 0749 Aberdeen Clayhills-Aberdeen

1B18 0907 Aberdeen-Edinburgh

5B18 1152 Edinburgh-Haymarket Depot

5A65 1252 Haymarket Depot-Edinburgh

1A65 1330 Edinburgh-Aberdeen

2A64 1619 Aberdeen-Dyce

1B43 1639 Dyce-Edinburgh

5B43 1953 Edinburgh-Haymarket Depot

5A97 2111 Haymarket Depot-Edinburgh

1A97 2143 Edinburgh-Aberdeen

5A97 0026 Aberdeen-Aberdeen Clayhills

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 2

Well people are entitled to their opinions, some people just dislike things that aren't new regardless of what they are actually like. My opinion is that this is an upgrade for Scotland's railways, re-introducing levels of comfort not seen on internal services since 1990.

I agree, and as one of those poor down South having the bloody sHitachis forced on them you have my heart felt jealousy at getting the better part of the deal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having had a bit of a fling for a long weekend of rail travel in UK for a change, I can confirm without any doubt that ScotRail passengers are in for a treat.  But we all knew that!

I've done Heathrow Express (not bad), GWR HST (good), GWR 165 (not bad) SWR 159 (Good) SWR 450 (Good) Central Line (not bad), Piccadilly Line (not bad), ThamesLink (or who ever to Hatfield) (Good), GWR HST again (good, but wheel flats in coach B and C and a delay due to ETH issues; made up 50% between Reading and Didcot), GWR 165 (Good), XC 220 (OK considering... engines didn't throb or hunt, service was good and I got a seat!) XC221 (Good but crowded due cancellations elsewhere - so I weekend upgraded to 1st - genius except the trolley was mired by the standing passengers in the other coaches)... The HSTs were the best riding and most comfortable (despite my 1977 memories of tables and windows).

With fewer cars and the same 3000+ hp AND Mk3 ride quality, I'm envious of the Scots for a change!

Edited by daveyb