Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018 - 24th and 25th November

Liam

If I could ask, whats the name of the layout  that looks to be SR (IOW maybe?) Wartime themed?

Ventnor West  -  7mm / 0 gauge layout from Kevin Cartwright, long-time Warley (and others!) stalwart.  First exhibition in an almost-completed state, albeit using mainly Terriers as he's only got 1 ( I think) 02 available at the moment.

A few very minor teething problems but generally worked well when I operated for a little while on the Saturday.

Edited by devonseasider

• RMweb Gold

The problem with all those American layouts is that they thought they Trumped all the others, even when under the old NEC lights that made everything a wierd orange colour. Being topped off with unconvincing static grass didn't help either...  :onthequiet:

They also try to outblast the next one with the sound levels. One of the reasons I don't like sound

It's all fake news, folks. It's all fake news.

Joking aside, when it comes to sounds, I suspect there are examples of good and bad practice in layouts - from a number of countries - and based on a number of countries' railways.

Personally, I quite like lights (especially on model trains and in model buildings), but I've never really been a fan of sounds. Other opinions are, of course, available and perfectly valid.

(I could also add that I've also never been a fan of certain politicians and certain political standpoints - essentially, the more extreme and abrasive they are, the less likely I am to like them or respect them - but I'd prefer not to turn this site into a political platform ... .)

Huw.

The problem with all those Amercian layouts is that they thought they Trumped all the others, even when under the old NEC lights that made everything a wierd orange colour. Being topped off with unconvincing static grass didn't help either...  :onthequiet:

You won't like my next US layout then, Sound fitted Switchers and noise from a live concert hall. No references to the current President tho...

If only there was someone at the exhibition who could manage the layouts that they've invited, so noisy layouts and sluggish operation is acted upon there and then instead of any offended parties waiting waiting until they go on an internet forum to comment.

Saying that, after a nasty experience in a tent whilst operating next to a noisy tinplate layout, I've started wearing noise cancelling headphones at shows. I've still no idea what it or I was doing at that M*A*S*H unit....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No static grass on my USA layouts, well until very recently :sungum:

One plus with USA layouts a few years ago was that the US outline RTR locos and rolling stock was way superior to UK outline, that's one reason that I got into USA modelling. These days UK outline models are generally as good

Sound is always a difficult thing for instance on my Czech layout I upped the volumes for Warley knowing form past experience that our US outline layouts which had been to Warley the sound could hardly be heard apart from the bells. We try to use the bells sparingly and that's one sound that I turn down when programming the sound levels. 

Sound is always going to have its likes and dislikes but I would say that it generally gets a lot of good attention at shows, done too loud and it does get annoying for a whole weekend.

• Like 1

I don’t want to keep banging on about Liverpool Lime Street, but the latest posts about the crowds drew my attention. From talking to a few fellow punters it seemed clear to me that many of the “theee and five deep” group along the length of the layout were not by any means there for ages watching the layout in fascination; having heard how good it was supposed to be they were queuing patiently to get any kind of proper look at it at all! And then when they reached the front it was necessary to perform contortions to get a view under the canopy and around the operators. As I have repeatedly said, the quality of the modelling is superb; it is the quality of the moving spectacle which is disappointing. But at the end of the day, I suppose it’s their layout so they do what they want with it ...

Edited by Willie Whizz

I don’t want to keep banging on about Liverpool Lime Street, but the latest posts about the crowds drew my attention. From talking to a few fellow punters it seemed clear to me that many of the “theee and five deep” group along the length of the layout were not by any means there for ages watching the layout in fascination; having heard how good it was supposed to be they were queuing patiently to get any kind of proper look at it at all! And then when they reached the front it was necessary to perform contortions to get a view under the canopy and around the operators. As I have repeatedly said, the quality of the modelling is superb; it is the quality of the moving spectacle which is disappointing. But at the end of the day, I suppose it’s their layout so they do what they want with it ...

You are of course welcome to build your own improved version to take along to exhibitions.

Then you too can be subject to comments from people who think you should do your modelling how they want it done :)

Craig W

• RMweb Premium

I suppose we could model a railway closed by the "Beeching Cuts" and when people comment that there are no trains reply with "Well it was closed, so there weren't any"

:jester:

Keith:

EDIT such as:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birmingham-snowhill/structures/gwrbsh1136.jpg

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to see the exhibition layouts of some commentators on this thread. Working within the space you have available does cause potential problems.

Liverpool Lime Street has to fit into a space which constrains the fiddle yard arrangements. I see it as a wonderful piece of modelling rather than as a railway with scenery chucked around at it.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Liverpool Lime Street has to fit into a space which constrains the fiddle yard arrangements. I see it as a wonderful piece of modelling rather than as a railway with scenery chucked around at it.

Baz

I don't see that as a problem.

The sector table/TT arrangement works well IMHO.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

You are of course welcome to build your own improved version to take along to exhibitions.

Then you too can be subject to comments from people who think you should do your modelling how they want it done :)

Craig W

Funnily enough, I think that paying £15+ to attend and view actually gives someone a reason to pass a comment on what they've seen.  The "don't comment until you've built your own" argument is arrogant and pointless.

No one is disputing that LLS is a superb piece of quality modelling but I think of it more as a 'Diorama' than a 'layout'. I passed by 5 times to see it on Sunday, and while on the first 2 passes I admired the modelling (canopy & hotel) from 2 different positions, on the 3rd,4th an 5th visit there was nothing running or expected to run so it's hardly surprising that people are going to comment on the lack of movement. I have seen it before, and If it was at another exhibition I attended I would certainly take the time to view it for it's quality, but not its operational interest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite why anyone needs to build another Liverpool Lime Street to show how they’d do it, or show their exhibition layout before they’re allowed to comment is beyond me. Either everyone has to show their layout when commenting, or no one does.

However Whillie Whizz has made a relevant point regarding the display and comments on LLS. I was on a stand a few metres from the layout and a number of our customers made the same comments as WW, (and others earlier). The comments related to the views when they got ’layoutside’. The reason I mention it is that there were sufficient number of them to be notable, there were a few comments about other layouts too, but the comments regarding LLS stood out because there were a number of them in the same vein.

I’ve seen LLS a few times and the display from the public side at least, leaves me cold too. As with other comments here it have nothing but respect and admiration for the modelling.

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I think that paying £15+ to attend and view actually gives someone a reason to pass a comment on what they've seen.  The "don't comment until you've built your own" argument is arrogant and pointless.

well there are only another 89 layouts for comments on. ( That works out at at 17p per layout) And if I am being "arrogant" I seem to think that some of the negative comments in this and other threads are very arrogant to the point of being destructive. My point is..until you have been there and done it - some of the comments made show how little people understand the trials and tribulations of building exhibition layouts, running them at shows and also things like designing and selling kits, parts etc.  

So what about the other 89 layouts then?

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Baz

What about them?

We have had plenty of comments about other layouts but only LLS seems to have brought out the "You can't comment because you haven't done it" type argument.

Pretty pointless IMHO

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Keith

Hate to say this but it would be nice to hear something about the other layouts (be it positive or negative)...You can comment on LLS on here but that record is starting to grate. And they have a thread on here where some of the operational process is being discussed.

I just believe that some comments on here and elsewhere are based on hypothetical performance of someones yet to be built layout which may or may not be exhibitable.  Only way to find out what its like to build and run a layout is ...to build and run one..... or is that me being arrogant?

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

well there are only another 89 layouts for comments on. ( That works out at at 17p per layout) And if I am being "arrogant" I seem to think that some of the negative comments in this and other threads are very arrogant to the point of being destructive. My point is..until you have been there and done it - some of the comments made show how little people understand the trials and tribulations of building exhibition layouts, running them at shows and also things like designing and selling kits, parts etc.  

Baz

Hi Baz

I enjoyed operating Friday Bridge, hopefully those viewing Mr Tailby's micro view of Fenland appreciated it and got their 17p's worth.

I liked all the small layouts stuck up in the naughty corner. Only really got to glance at the others in the hall as I passed by going from A to B.

I didn't even realise Lime Street was there.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

As someone who has built his own exhibition layout and shown it at a few shows, and has now given it away and helps run the permanent "Dolgellau" exhibit previously exhibited by the Liverpool Model Railway Club, I always made sure something was set up to move as people came up to the layout, and we do the same on the Dolgellau layout although to some sort of realistic sequence.  Despite "Dolgellau" having talking point scenery featuring real buildings to be seen today in the town and at Penmaenpool, we quickly found people were more appreciative and engaged if they saw - and heard, as everyone without exception seems to appreciate the fitting of DCC sound to some of our fleet - a train moving, or better still, several trains moving.  Admittedly, when I was showing "Kings Oak" I was at smaller, more family friendly shows and the Dolgellau exhibit is aimed firmly at visitors to the town, in both cases I think entertaining the public means showing something moving.

Having said that, when I saw Lime Street, I do think that the scale and presence of the layout would mean that in this case, they could get away with just parking it up and going off for the day to the German Market in the city centre, as I'm sure even Joe and Joanna Normal would appreciate the model for what it is without any moving trains.  It's one of those rare models that can get away with a lack of movement and I'm sure a lot of casual visitors would get something from it as a static exhibit.  That's not to say though that they wouldn't get more from it if a few big red shiny things were moving in and out.

This year was my first visit to Warley in about four or five years and my friend and I both noticed it seemed smaller than previously.  My friend pointed out that part of Hall 5 was screened off and that the show didn't fill the whole space as previously and he said there seemed to be far fewer as he described "big scenery to the rafters" layouts.  Whilst in a way that made for a more pleasant, comfortable day out, does it mean that the Warley is beginning to become a victim of it's own success, or are we seeing a move away from the "big hitter, hire a truck" type layouts to smaller layouts in general?  having been away from the Warley for so long it was really noticeable how much more "intimate" this year was to my last visit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The ‘void’ has been there for years so it’s not got any smaller ;)

There weren’t any HUGE scenic layouts this year but there were a lot of very good ones, to my eye. I thought it was a good year to be honest.

LLS and Sidmouth have come in for an inordinate amount of stick from a few and their observations at the time are valid but as Baz said are being hammered a bit too much. What did you like about the show?, make constructive observations by all means but once the red mist of indignation descends they become an argument rather easily.

Step away there’s nothing to see here ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This year was my first visit to Warley in about four or five years and my friend and I both noticed it seemed smaller than previously.  My friend pointed out that part of Hall 5 was screened off and that the show didn't fill the whole space as previously and he said there seemed to be far fewer as he described "big scenery to the rafters" layouts.  Whilst in a way that made for a more pleasant, comfortable day out, does it mean that the Warley is beginning to become a victim of it's own success, or are we seeing a move away from the "big hitter, hire a truck" type layouts to smaller layouts in general?  having been away from the Warley for so long it was really noticeable how much more "intimate" this year was to my last visit.

Hi,

interesting comment as ive been demoing at the show for the past 5 years and the void as its called has always been there and is used for parking cars and vans in during set up and pack down to speed up the process.I also think trailers are stored in there whilst the show is open.

It may be the case that all the layouts booked this year where smaller than the big scenery type ones you mention. They are booking layouts years in advance so next year it might be full of big layouts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the lack of a full size exhibit (*) as centrepiece made the exhibition look smaller.

Cheers,

Mick

(*) no disrespect to the RHDR and narrow gauge stuff, but there's always something about a standard gauge loco - even if it has to be G*R...……..

I can confirm that the space used in hall 5 is the same as it has been every year the show has been in hall 5. The number of layouts is always around 90 and the space allocated for trade exhibitors has also remained the same. The proportion of floor space allocated to layouts is also about the same each year.

I would have thought the 5" gauge and Warton Road layouts count as being large.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These pictures weren't taken at Warley but at Utrecht back in February when we were exhibiting there  as the only time across the weekend I got a chance to go and see Montherme again it was very busy but certainly ticks the big, spectacular scenery box. I loved it - model of a prototype which really sets the railway in the landscape with a proper backscene, not some six-inch high strip of ply painted a very vivid and unlikely shade of blue! 

post-1074-0-79915300-1543765702_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-26645600-1543765738_thumb.jpg

If anybody managed to get any good pictures over the weekend I'd like to see them.

Probably my favorite bit of individual modelling over the weekend was the allotments on Love Lane which I thought were beautifully modeled although the last picture, for me, demonstrates clearly why a backscene is so important - all that clutter and 'visual noise' really detracts from the scene.

post-1074-0-55959600-1543766043_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-65497700-1543766114_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-50687000-1543766154_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-92128400-1543766188_thumb.jpg

Finally, one of the pleasures of demonstrating is that not only do you get to show off all the latest toys you've made but other modellers bring stuff along to show you so the last pictures show my ugly mug followed by a lovely LNER Atlantic and a triplet set brought along by visitors to the show.

post-1074-0-10374200-1543766572_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-09951400-1543766592_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-42481700-1543766817_thumb.jpg

We wont be back next year as its our first grandsons second birthday on the Sunday and we wont be missing that for anything but we will be back in 2020 in some capacity as it will be the 2mm Scale Associations 60th birthday - that's if Baz doesn't warn his successor in the demonstrators hot seat to avoid us like the plague!!

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I really, really hope I'm wrong (and if any of the Team in question are reading this, please don't) then I could easily imagine them (after reading some of the comments) deciding not to bother exhibiting anymore.  That would be a real loss.

Hi,

interesting comment as ive been demoing at the show for the past 5 years and the void as its called has always been there and is used for parking cars and vans in during set up and pack down to speed up the process.I also think trailers are stored in there whilst the show is open.

No, nothing can be parked in there while the show is open. The NEC charge Warley for the amount of space in the Hall they use, so parking vehicles in the unused space during the Show would incur an extra charge.