Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

With over four decades in the model trade to look back on,  I ask myself what I would be prepared to invest my money and shirt on. The GWR 'Manor' would be a good start. First production would be late crest, the livery for which most people remember them or see them today. It is one of two liveries where expensive lining out decoration is called for, the other being the early crest. In lean years, the plain green GWR locos and plain black wartime and early plain black BR locos could be produced. They should keep Hornby going for several years.

I concur.  But H might well have discounted this idea as too risky; Bachmann have tooling and could get a Manor out very quickly.  I can't believe I just used the words 'Bachmann' and 'out very quickly' in the same sentence, though!

There is of course also the risk that Dapol, with a 43xx in the pipeline whose chassis can be used for a Manor, might be in the game as well.  Manor wishlisting and latent demand is very strong, and we must assume that all the RTR players are at least aware of it; I am certain one will appear in the next few years but who will make it is anyone's guess.  Of course, H already have what is effectively a Manor chassis in the form of the Grange.

Already pointed out by a few people, today's announcement from Hattons totally shows up Hornby's poor showing and the dire predicament they find themselves in.

Modern diesels may not be "your thing", but in case anyone hasn't had seen it, take a look......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133954-class-66-in-oo-gauge-new-announcement/page-1

30 different versions of this high spec model.

That's just the first run.

At a decent price too.

I see Hornby is dumbing down its use of English, too.

"We have no less than 29 new items to add to the Hornby 2018 range in our special mid-year reveal."

Reveal? That's a verb not a noun! Revelation is the word they might want, but as it's multi-syllabic I suppose it's a bit long.....

In theatrical terms a reveal is part of a stage set.....

Les

• RMweb Premium

Most of the liveries have been similar, what about a Red/Maroon?, we have Green (3 versions),Blue and Black announced/produced so far.

If you find a photograph of a genuine maroon liveried, early W4, then we'll produce it. This is why we've put out several requests, my last being just before Christmas. I probably have more photographs of Pecketts, in various guises, than anyone at the moment, as well as numerous written descriptions, but there's not one maroon livery one among them!

• RMweb Premium

Wow, a book of trackplans - didn't see that one coming

Yes me neither. I'll buy it because I've been collecting all Hornby publications , but a bit surprised. Surely this has been replaced by software?

So what was the DLR pdf , showing a unit? A complete red herring?

The new releases have to be welcomed . As folks have said maximising revenue on the much sought after Pecketts is a good thing . However , can't help feeling that Hornby have yet to master making announcements . They did succeed in building us up to a frenzy and its hard to avoid a feeling of anti climax that there's no new tooling . Also while its usually good to have a bit of fun , I can't help feeling that hinting with a pdf that actually has no relevance to what's been announced is pretty bad form. At least give us a sporting chance!

Will digest it later

• Like 1

Yes me neither. I'll buy it because I've been collecting all Hornby publications , but a bit surprised. Surely this has been replaced by software?

The new releases have to be welcomed . As folks have said maximising revenue on the much sought after Pecketts is a good thing . However , can't help feeling that Hornby have yet to master making announcements . They did succeed in building us up to a frenzy and its hard to avoid a feeling of anti climax that there's no new tooling . Also while its usually good to have a bit of fun , I can't help feeling that hinting with a pdf that actually has no relevance to what's been announced is pretty bad form. At least give us a sporting chance!

Will digest it later

The DLR partly runs on what was the Port Of London Authority Railway I believe. There is a PLA dock shunter in the announcement.

Jason

I take it that you’re still pronouncing “sea” and “see” differently, and pronouncing those pesky “K”s at the start of “knight”? Otherwise you’re just as guilty as everyone else of accepting mutations and changes in English - it’s just, for some reason, you’ve now decided you want to stubbornly resist any more.

So you’ve had your fun but now everyone else must follow your rules, rules which must be fossilised forever as the perfect expression of the language?

Hmm. I think you’re probably gonna lose that one.

Paul

You obviously think that I am an old fuddy-duddy and you are probably right, and this is somewhat off piste on this thread, but please explain how the incorrect use of a verb as a noun improves our language or makes it more comprehensible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"We have no less than 29 new items to add to the Hornby 2018 range in our special mid-year reveal."

Reveal? That's a verb not a noun! Revelation is the word they might want, but as it's multi-syllabic I suppose it's a bit long.....

So in order to counteract our disappointment at the content of the announcement, we have to dissect the way it's presented. No wonder RMWebbers are seen as 'Suckers' by those outside the forum.

• Like 1

.....and should be "no fewer than 29 new...".

P. Dant

• Like 1

Already pointed out by a few people, today's announcement from Hattons totally shows up Hornby's poor showing and the dire predicament they find themselves in.

Modern diesels may not be "your thing", but in case anyone hasn't had seen it, take a look......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133954-class-66-in-oo-gauge-new-announcement/page-1

30 different versions of this high spec model.

That's just the first run.

At a decent price too.

This is fascinating.  Given that I know nothing of diesels, which, therefore, all look more or less the same to my untutored eyes, I clearly recognise this one, with its distinctive widow's peak roof line.  I seem to see several of these pottering about whenever I take a train. So far as I can see, all modern diesels save passenger units look like this, so pretty common.

Surely someone already makes a model of this?

If not, what were Hornby thinking not covering this?

EDIT: I now realise there is a Class 59, so perhaps I have seen them?  So, after all, modern diesels do all look the same!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

This is fascinating.  Given that I know nothing of diesels, which, therefore, all look more or less the same to my untutored eyes, I clearly recognise this one, with its distinctive widow's peak roof line.  I seem to see several of these pottering about whenever I take a train. So far as I can see, all modern diesels save passenger units look like this, so pretty common.

Surely someone already makes a model of this?

If not, what were Hornby thinking not covering this?

EDIT: I now realise there is a Class 59, so perhaps I have seen them?  So, after all, modern diesels do all look the same!

Hornby already make them. Which was a Lima model and is in the Railroad range.

As do Bachmann.

Both are a bit dated.

Jason

Hornby already make them. Which was a Lima model and is in the Railroad range.

As do Bachmann.

Both are a bit dated.

Jason

Thanks.  So I assume a re-tool was overdue.

I wonder why Bachmann or Hornby didn't take the opportunity?

Mind you, I wish Bachmann had decided to re-tool the 4300, and I don't understand why they left that to others.

The Terrier I could understand, given Dapol's involvement, especially its 7mm model, but it would still have been a great opportunity for Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

If you find a photograph of a genuine maroon liveried, early W4, then we'll produce it. This is why we've put out several requests, my last being just before Christmas. I probably have more photographs of Pecketts, in various guises, than anyone at the moment, as well as numerous written descriptions, but there's not one maroon livery one among them!

Perhaps someone could be persuaded to paint a survivor red and then Hornby would have something to copy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.  So I assume a re-tool was overdue.

I wonder why Bachmann or Hornby didn't take the opportunity?

For Bachmann - they rake in £££ from a long line of Ltd Ed commissions of all the bespoke liveries this class carries.

For Hornby - as seen from this mornings 'announcement', they are content to keep churning out stuff from the 1970's/80's using the original moulds etc.

Well done Hattons for taking the industry by the scruff of the neck with a go it alone approach. Time for the Blue & Red teams to either up their game or potentially, begin a long slow decline to oblivion (and for one of them, it might not be that long and slow).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Also while its usually good to have a bit of fun , I can't help feeling that hinting with a pdf that actually has no relevance to what's been announced is pretty bad form. At least give us a sporting chance!

Will digest it later

If it had been an 'official' tease, then yes - however it was nothing more than someone taking a post from my personal Twitter account, then joining the dots, much like someone did when I was on holiday in Dorset last Autumn at the Swanage Railway. A bit of mischief? Possibly. But then again, no where on that particular post does it intimate that it was connected to any announcement, if you take a look at the wording.

I stay in touch with a lot of contacts from the rail industry through Twitter, we could be in for a long haul if every conversation or photograph is linked to a new model being researched.

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Like 3