Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Been displaying my WW1 Trench Railway at the Swansea Model Railway Exhibition today, and had a little flyer about the show on the front. The overal response from both visitors and fellow exhibitors was very possitive. There was lots of interest especially from the younger visitors and families, which I think is very possitive.

We managed to keep our layout after the show, which is currently in storage, currently we dont know what to do with it due to its size, however we have been given permission to display the layout at my local model shop for their 10 Year Anniversary, once the our episode airs next week, so stay tuned!

• Like 6

How about  a RM competition of what you can do with a high heeled shoe and a stick of lipstick :jester: I was a bit sceptical of the items but the guy from Strangers on Train did excellent with them. Its obviously going to be a weekly feature and if its helped to show good modelling can be done with items that would otherwise be thrown away all the better.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. While the pre-built items were clearly of good quality, they cannot have seriously believed they were within the rules and did their brand a disservice. My wife (no modelling fan) rated them badly as soon as they started to claim they couldn't be beaten and I'm pleased that Kathy came out so strongly in favour of holding to the rules.

My wife had exactly the same opinion.  I was somewhat surprised she watched it all the way through and suspect she actually might have slightly enjoyed it.  Not that she would ever admit to that. :no:

• Like 3

It was bloody brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Who would have thought that railway modelling could give rise to a villain (poor Barry made out to be a real bighead by some editing) and a hero (the leader of the Strangers on a train crew). As a railway modelller I am really proud of them all - producing 45 - 50 minutes of entertaining prime time television is no bad achievement.

Edited by terrysoham
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One point that occurred to me was that model railway terms and techniques were mentioned without any attempt being made to explain them. In 'Bake Off' type programmes, they often go to great lengths to explain a Bain Marie or a Roux sauce, but Malcolm says about adding static grass to a grass mat, and we see an airbrush being used in a spray booth without any further explaination.

• RMweb Premium

I watched it on catch up and before reading anything on here.

I thought it was excellent, well done to everyone involved. It could have been a challenge to make a scale model of Ashburton, marked on accuracy, the right shade of green and the number of rivets, but no, setting interesting themes which the teams took as a challenge was brilliant. perhaps more of us need to add animations to our models.

For the producers it was presumably designed to be entertaining for the public, it most certainly was. From people talking on my bus today the programme was clearly a success.

For our hobby, it gave a very good impression. People working together using all sorts of skills to produce interesting models. Just think, you could stay at home watching timewaste TV or playing on a computer, or you could meet friends and build a model railway - inspirational.

Perhaps a slight improvement would be to add little sections about certain skills eg the weathering or those sound effects. Adverts from Hornby, Bachmann and details of forthcoming exhibitions would have encouraged viewers to find out more and maybe take up railway modelling. I know that would be expensive, could it be a colaborative advert?

Initially I thought the challenge of including strange objects in the model was odd and not a good idea, but it did work as it resulted in people using their imagination and skills to making something out of nothing - real modelling.

My only worry is it might encourage new people to visit exhibitions and model railway clubs and be disappointed that they are not so exciting. Perhaps a challenge for us all?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having visited Kathy Millatt's blog, she comments that the forced perspective technique is something new that she has taken away to apply in her own work. I'm not sure this would have been demonstrated so strongly in anything but a representation of an expansive urban environment. It will be interesting to see if any of the future episodes feature detailed townscapes built on-site, or whether the teams avoid the risk this poses to completing the whole, and play safe by sticking to open country settings.

The Nim.

It was good to see use of forced perspective on the first programme but to suggest it is 'new' leaves me wondering what she has been missing over a good few years at shows/in UK mags and over an even longer period in the US magazines where examples of forced perspective modelling could be seen a goodly time ago  (possibly as far back as John Allen's time?).  I enjoyed her comments on the programme but it does seem odd that she hadn't come across forced perspective modelling previously.

And now to an interesting, but relevant aside, as I had a brief look at the 'Radio Times' article this evening and what should be in the middle of it but a whole page advert for Peco - so somebody's PR was definitely on the ball as well as a touch of product placement in the show.

• Like 2

It was good to see use of forced perspective on the first programme but to suggest it is 'new' leaves me wondering what she has been missing over a good few years at shows/in UK mags and over an even longer period in the US magazines where examples of forced perspective modelling could be seen a goodly time ago  (possibly as far back as John Allen's time?).  I enjoyed her comments on the programme but it does seem odd that she hadn't come across forced perspective modelling previously.

I don't know about John Allen, but, the much missed, Geoff Williams made a forced perspective model of Aylesbury LNWR 30  - 40 years ago. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94514-aylesbury-high-street-lnwr/

probably more - I forget how olde I'm getting, Used to visit Geoffs once a year for some time. It worked as well as it looked.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

I think Channel 5 have missed a trick here.

The Apprentice has You're Fired

Bake Off has Extra Slice.

We could have The Great British Train Wreck where the teams that don't get through each week come on and talk about where it all went wrong.

• RMweb Gold

I think Channel 5 have missed a trick here.

The Apprentice has You're Fired

Bake Off has Extra Slice.

We could have The Great British Train Wreck where the teams that don't get through each week come on and talk about where it all went wrong.

Well, the idea might sound amusing - but I wonder how many members of these teams would actually wish to be dragged in front of TV cameras / a live audience, to be reminded of every mistake they'd made and grilled by a comedian looking to make cheap jokes off their misfortune.

I know I wouldn't have wanted to run this gauntlet if I'd been in a position to take part in the filming of this year's challenge.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Premium

Newbie here! Well I rather enjoyed it, but was a bit confused as to who it was aimed at. If it was the general public, then much of what the modellers were doing must have seemed like 'dark arts'. Possibly a few one-minute videos interspersed to explain baseboards, wiring, ballasting, static grass, DC versus DCC etc might have helped?

I think that’s a really good point.

I thought the program was OK and will most likely watch next week. I’m not a great fan of the format . I accept there has to be some aspect of competition and so time limit but don’t like the false jeapardy that this creates . I thought for a moment Steve Flint was going to pause too long before announcing the winners in the grating style of master chef , which I just find ludicrous , but fortunately he announced the winners without fuss .

I thought the guy from Missenden had a sense of humour and was being jocular when he said they were going to win. But I can imagine the tv producers would have loved the Misplaced optimism being squashed. There’s nothing like cutting a guy down to size as perceived entertainment. Dramatic tv is what they want, and this is probably as close as they were going to get.

I thought all teams did very well , but I think the best team won.

I didn’t get the scratch build challenge at all. The guy from the strangers summed it up well, and I still think he is right.

I appreciate this is for the general viewer , but I thought there could be more about how to make things . How to lay curves , how to use static grass etc. A couple of minutes on each could have explained it to the general public who may be interested. As Number6 says it’s still a black art and hasn’t been explained to them. I think also it could be said that there are model railway shows throughout the U.K. most weekends for folk who are interested. As far as I’m aware that wasn’t mentioned.

But overall it’s good that Model Railways feature on one of the main channels at prime time . This has got to be good for the hobby. I’ve enjoyed the radio controlled aircraft program . Hopefully this does same for Model Railways. I think I find some YouTube channels more enjoyable though eg New Junction.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Just watched the show and thought as family entertainment it was excellent. Was expecting it to be very cringe worthy with all the usual stereotypes. 

It had a good mix of inspirational modelling and drama to keep modellers and non modellers interested.

Didn't go into much detail on techniques,  in the world of Google and YouTube you can do more research yourself if so inclined, it was more about showing what can be done.

Watched the show and my eight year old son, who refuses to go to model rail shows is hooked and looking forwards to next Friday's show. 

Anything that raises the profile of the hobby without making fun of it is a good thing. 

• Like 3

I watched it yesterday evening using the My5 player. Advantage is that none of the advertisement brakes occur so the programme is only 45 minutes long.

The themed ideas are a great idea. Having the animation reminds me of going to Hamburg to Minatur Wunderland thry have scenes with a bit of a sense of humour - most modellers should realise it's your hobby it's meant to be FUN. If you can't have a scale model with something silly or fun for the families at the exhibition they will not stand and look at the scale details you have put in. Many have lists of can you spot these items? At the York Easter show many people have fun with bunnies, chicks and mini eggs.

Overall it was quite an enjoyable program. Just wondered if they might have been better with a module challenge. If using a small module you could have individuals or family groups doing them. The 5 logo for a week or so has been like a modular layout.

Presumably this forums main financier has a vested interest which is why Andy said what is in post 1.

• Like 1

I would say that *any* business involved in the model railway trade (including magazine publishers, clubs, exhibition organisers etc) has a vested interest in seeing this programme do well, whether or not they have any direct financial connection to the series.

Edited by RJS1977

I hope people aren't too hard on the Missenden crew when they meet them; it was clearly a bit of a wind up and it did make great TV. I'm sure they are good lads who like a bit of a laugh and played along with the people in charge of the programme. All three layouts were great examples of what can be achieved in a small time if you put your mind to it. I congratulate all three teams on their work.

The show also provided some thoughts for me.

For my next project I may well follow the programme's lead and pre-make some buildings before I start building the baseboards. That way I can see if I can make the buildings to the quality I want before investing a lot of time in building the baseboards and laying the track. This approach will allow me to concentrate more on the buildings as they will be my sole focus when being made. Also if and when I get round to the layout the build time will be reduced.

The second thought starter was animation. Exhibition layouts are built to entertain others and animation is a great means of providing entertainment. Visitors do tend to smile and enthuse when they see good animation on a layout. There are examples of good quality animation at exhibitions but it is still relatively rare. We often don't link animation with serious modelling but I think it is an area that could well do with more thought for exhibition layouts. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having watched this last night I would say that it was as 5 out of 10 for me. 

The models were very good considering the time that they had to make them, but when considered against models that that much longer to make there were obvious (and understandable) issues. 

The biggest downside to me was the editing that failed to show just how much work obviously went into this, possibly bits could have been filmed at the homes of the modellers showing them constructing the prebuilt models. 

I agree with others who have said that the right team won in the end. 

The models were very good considering the time that they had to make them, but when considered against models that that much longer to make there were obvious (and understandable) issues. 

The biggest downside to me was the editing that failed to show just how much work obviously went into this, possibly bits could have been filmed at the homes of the modellers showing them constructing the prebuilt models. 

There are going to be other bits put up on a web site to see as time constraints meant none of the filming back home could be shown. You have 24 hrs of film per team plus home filming to edit into a show plus judges starts ends and adverts etc.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the 'what are they doing and how they do it' comments on this thread which would have addressed your issue about showing the amount of work has gone into some of these models. I guess the problem is that modelling is just not a 'spectator sport', some chap with a cutting mat, scalpel and two sheets of plasticard is only one up on novel writing.

You probably need an additional presenter / judge, a sort of charismatic modeller who does the "what they are doing here is" piece to camera.

Everyone's an expert!!!!

Andy

Many model railway clubs have Open Days once or twice a year. How about mounting a mini "Challenge" in which club members build some small models for the entertainment and enlightenment of the visiting public and clearly link it with the Channel 5 show.

Clearly it would be unrealistic to build a 10x5 or even 8x4 layout in (say) 6 hours. But it might be fun to get a few teams attempting to do something that would fit into that time-frame with a bit of effort. Maybe even invite a team or two from nearby clubs.

I know Ian Rice and others did attempt this with a P4 layout at ScaleForum in 1993. But P4 (or even EM) is probably a too-hairy shirt for a fun project that would resonate with the wider public.

...R

• Like 1