RMweb

Basic customer service at exhibitions

Selkent

Not sure if it has been mentioned already-apologies if it has- but outside the show opening times the exhibition hall is classed as a construction site with associated rules and standards in place. I think the insurance levels differ also according to whether the public are admitted or not.

Not sure if it has been mentioned already-apologies if it has- but outside the show opening times the exhibition hall is classed as a construction site with associated rules and standards in place. I think the insurance levels differ also according to whether the public are admitted or not.

That is correct

Of course there is always the stampede to get to my Demo (stand A61 Warley) to get the Flying Scotsman that had been sitting in a puddle for 20 years working ;)

Do you reckon you could get this one working?

post-6836-0-08916600-1541603622_thumb.jpeg

(Described as “THIS IS IN A GOOD USED CONDITION,”)

I never said be let in way in advance, my point was while waiting, why not go down line and sell tickets, give programmes out etc and people do get there early often to pick up the best deals not already sold to exhibitors or other traders exhibiting there. The show I attended a few weeks ago, had about 100 in queue and I got there early as no chance of any parking on site otherwise and maybe open 5 mins early

Fair enough, but a customer with an advance ticket avoids the queue to buy a ticket on the day, and at those shows which offer the benefit to advance purchasers of earlier entry, gets to the bargains quicker. But it is of course down to the individual's choice and circumstances whether to pay in advance or not.

They don't even do this anymore anyway. At least they haven't at the last few Ally Pally's. 

So the only real advantage of being early and standing around in the cold is ... first pick of the glue-dollop covered Faller buildings, "Birds Eye" branded Hornby wagons, and broken Triang Nellys on the second hand stall?

Wakefield Show has an EXCELLENT pre-owned sales stand which attracts the eager bargain hunters on Friday night.  Stay clear of the main aisles - unless you're one of the BH's too!

This year's sales stand should be very good knowing what is probably going to be on offer from some sellers.

• Like 2

At Peterborough show a couple of years ago we tried a (universally unpopular with everyone in the hall) 9.00 entry for advanced ticket holders. One of the first visitors in the queue moaned at me that we were opening too early. I probably wasted my breath in explaining he didn't have to be almost first through the door.

• Like 6

I never said be let in way in advance, my point was while waiting, why not go down line and sell tickets, give programmes out etc and people do get there early often to pick up the best deals not already sold to exhibitors or other traders exhibiting there. The show I attended a few weeks ago, had about 100 in queue and I got there early as no chance of any parking on site otherwise and maybe open 5 mins early

Because it means you need a portable change carrying system in addition to the cashbox already on the admission desk. Not that difficult to sort out, but another job to be organised just to save a few people from queuing. 

A few years ago, our club treasurer at the time decided unilaterally to open the show 15 minutes early because it was a bit cold outside. The exhibition manager wasn't impressed, but not as unimpressed as the traders who were making last trips to the toilet or to grab a drink and weren't behind thier stands when the punters wandered in.

Even the "5 mins early" (not the same as "way in advance"?) messes those inside around. Do this and the next thing is people on forums complaining they got in and the layouts weren't running the moment they arrived.

Didn't Ally Pally insist everyone wore HiVis whilst setting up?

I understand it's a requirement of the venue, even though every year several people decide to take their dislike of the rule on our exhibition staff. One "gentleman," said that all H&S was wrong and many great railway projects had been built without safety equipment. It was pointed out that people died while building these and his response was "Well not many." Quite how many people should be required to die for a viaduct we never explored. 

My take is that hi-viz makes sense when you've got a confined space with vehicles moving around. Vision from vans isn't as good as a car, many drivers are only occasional van users AND people do stupid things such as leaping through gaps between stands and moving vehicles. Anything that makes that person easier to see has to be good. Argue all you like that it's their own fault when they get squashed, but even if I bore no responsibility, I'd still feel guilty. That and the show setup would probably have to stop. 

Hi-vis rules being applied might also make it easier to spot anyone who had taken the opportunity to nip in an open door and shouldn't be there. 

Consider Warley. I get up at 6 to drive to the NEC Saturday morning. Arrive, park up, load my trolley and walk my demo kit into the hall. Deposit kit in my allotted space then dash off for my breakfast (thanks Barry!). As I'm walking back to set up my demo the tannoy announces that due to crowds the NEC are letting folks in early. Now do they expect to be able to sit in front of my demo stand?

In the case of Warley I suspect very few will be interested in anything other than stampeding to the Bachmann returns jumble sale, so enjoy your breakfast.

• RMweb Premium

I attend exhibitions most weekends, sometimes two in a day and noticed at many, the good size numbers of people waiting to get in around opening time, sometimes a long line of attendees. I have run exhibitions myself and please other exhibition managers, why the must start dead on 10am each day. I was at one a few weeks ago, where the ticket sellers actually said 2 mins to go, while 4 of them sat there doing nothing and a we had to stand in line, a very long line. I accept that sometimes exhibits are not ready until near opening time but what is stopping going down the line and selling tickets to the queue and means that maybe the first 20 or so can just walk in when opened and the queue lowers. The winter months are on us and it is no fun waiting outside in the cold, so maybe even if there is a bit of a queue, let us in 5 mins early. Rant over.

To be blunt, if a show is scheduled to open at 10:00, then 10:00 is when it should open. I have been at shows where punters have been allowed to get in a wander around a good 20 minutes or so before opening time; this is bad. As a few have mentioned, stalls and layouts are still being set up before the show opens, so items such as stock, can be left vulnerable as the exhibitors and traders are finalising their set up. Note, if something does get pinched by a member of the public before the show is due to open, the organisers may have trouble with their insurers.  10:00 is a good time to open as it gives those layouts who do arrive that morning a chance to set up. Also, anything earlier, can make for a long day.

As an aside, I hope you are not tempted to let the punters in before the scheduled opening time at any of the shows you organise.

• RMweb Premium

Seems that a few people have the same mentality as grannies at 9.20 expecting to use their consessionary bus pass and moaning about being left behind as the pass won't work on smart ticket machines until 9.30 and they have too wait for the next bus.

I know of one club secondhand stand that only puts the good stuff on sale an hour or so after the show opens as it helps to get rid of some of the less attractive items first.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

At the SHMRC Portsmouth Show, see exhibition guide for details on this years great show on the 17th November, we as the OP suggests go along the line before the show opens, selling tickets. 

I wouldn't recommend going down the queue selling tickets, especially outdoors. What if someone with bad intentions spotted a couple of say 60 year olds holding a bag full of money they had just collected? Easy pickings for an opportunist. Even ten tickets at £5.00 each could be a quick and easy £50. Someone could see this on Saturday morning and come back prepared on Sunday morning. The collectors are potentially making themselves are target; you have to be very careful not to put yourself at risk when handling cash. The chances are that nothing bad will happen but there is an element of risk.

I attend exhibitions most weekends, sometimes two in a day and noticed at many, the good size numbers of people waiting to get in around opening time, sometimes a long line of attendees. I have run exhibitions myself and please other exhibition managers, why the must start dead on 10am each day. I was at one a few weeks ago, where the ticket sellers actually said 2 mins to go, while 4 of them sat there doing nothing and a we had to stand in line, a very long line. I accept that sometimes exhibits are not ready until near opening time but what is stopping going down the line and selling tickets to the queue and means that maybe the first 20 or so can just walk in when opened and the queue lowers. The winter months are on us and it is no fun waiting outside in the cold, so maybe even if there is a bit of a queue, let us in 5 mins early. Rant over.

I think most contributors have misunderstood what you have said, though the logistics at some shows will prevent early ticket sales. Nothing stopping selling tickets early to the queue where the club sells the tickets, as you say doors still open at the correct time, and reduces the queue to pay for entry, seems a sensible request. At Stoke Mandeville, tickets can be bought early, then visitors can go to the cafe and or wait inside

Good call but not every show can accommodate this facility

• Like 1

Do you reckon you could get this one working?

attachicon.gifF62E982A-ED93-4ACD-B566-82B09D3A20C9.jpeg

(Described as “THIS IS IN A GOOD USED CONDITION,”)

It's been PROFESSIONALLY WEATHERED. Based on a photo of a real one after an encounter with some Hawker Typhoons.....

I'd also second the comments around insurance. Clubs have insurance to protect the members from being collectively financially liable if the club gets sued (as most clubs are Unincorporated Associations). If you let people in before your insurance cover starts, the members may be on the hook if somebody trips over a cable that hasn't been taped down yet and sues you.  

Because it means you need a portable change carrying system in addition to the cashbox already on the admission desk. Not that difficult to sort out, but another job to be organised just to save a few people from queuing. 

A few years ago, our club treasurer at the time decided unilaterally to open the show 15 minutes early because it was a bit cold outside. The exhibition manager wasn't impressed, but not as unimpressed as the traders who were making last trips to the toilet or to grab a drink and weren't behind thier stands when the punters wandered in.

Even the "5 mins early" (not the same as "way in advance"?) messes those inside around. Do this and the next thing is people on forums complaining they got in and the layouts weren't running the moment they arrived.

Where I come from we call that a "pocket".

I can see it could be a touch frustrating standing in a line for an on-time door opening, but I can also see no reason to be there early enough to have to be in that line....First world problems I think ;)

• Like 2

I understand it's a requirement of the venue, even though every year several people decide to take their dislike of the rule on our exhibition staff. One "gentleman," said that all H&S was wrong and many great railway projects had been built without safety equipment. It was pointed out that people died while building these and his response was "Well not many." Quite how many people should be required to die for a viaduct we never explored. 

My take is that hi-viz makes sense when you've got a confined space with vehicles moving around. Vision from vans isn't as good as a car, many drivers are only occasional van users AND people do stupid things such as leaping through gaps between stands and moving vehicles. Anything that makes that person easier to see has to be good. Argue all you like that it's their own fault when they get squashed, but even if I bore no responsibility, I'd still feel guilty. That and the show setup would probably have to stop. 

Hi-vis rules being applied might also make it easier to spot anyone who had taken the opportunity to nip in an open door and shouldn't be there. 

Oh, I didn't mean that it was wrong for HiVis to be worn. It just backs up the previous mention of the exhibition hall being classed as a construction site in the Insurance people's eyes before opening time. If it's got to be worn then it's got to be worn.

Personally I like to arrive when doors open as you get the maximum out of your day then. Same goes for preserved railways, I always aim to be on the first train of the day! 

If you arrive early when you've had enough you can head home early. If you arrive late then you risk being kicked out at closing time even if you want one last look at a layout. I have no issues with waiting in queues if I arrive before the doors open. I've chosen to arrive early so I have to wait like everyone else. Having exhibited myself I know that it can sometimes be a rush to be ready for doors open and it is annoying when you get someone standing saying 'Why ain't you ready?' when it's not even opening time yet.

I also don't think it's basic customer service for tickets to be sold before the doors open. If some shows do then all is good but I see no issue with those shows which don't.

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 2

As has been mentioned if you want to get in early purchase an advance ticket! They are usually sold at a discount and let the holders in early. Advance tickets for the York Model Railway Show have been available via the website since the first of October. You can pay via PayPal or send a cheque/Postal Order to the address for the 'ticket office' So you get a discounted ticket and get in 15mins before the people who wish to pay cash on the door. Simples!

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is correct

No it isn't. At Warley the show is handed over about 1pm on Friday afternoon. This is after the various exhibition shell schemes have been completed, visiting locos (full size) are in place and the stand building company are out of the hall..

A walk around to check aisles are OK (Some shows have aisles less than 9' wide not good)

But...once the show has closed on Sunday it reverts to being a construction site so no children allowed on site.

At least at the NEC you can queue in a dry foyer...

Baz

Edited by Barry O