Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I couldn’t make up my mind which to order so left it to almost the last minute. My 55005 sold out the following day! So by the time mine is despatched most of you should already have had yours…

Theres only 5 left now.. one is the “as built” D9004, the rest are the dead zone of the hobby.. c1967-c1973 post end of steam and before TOPS when most enthusiasts were licking their end of steam wounds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Theres only 5 left now.. one is the “as built” D9004, the rest are the dead zone of the hobby.. c1967-c1973 post end of steam and before TOPS when most enthusiasts were licking their end of steam wounds.

Ooh. The “time before TOPS”. Anyone else remember trying to keep your ABCs up to date with the renumbering??

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Locomotion also have KOYLI in both it’s preserved conditions, and D9008 “The Green Howards” in original condition. No blue ones available though. 

The Deltic preservation society have D9009 “Alcydion” in as preserved BR blue with headlight. 

46 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Locomotion also have KOYLI in both it’s preserved conditions, and D9008 “The Green Howards” in original condition. No blue ones available though. 

The Deltic preservation society have D9009 “Alcydion” in as preserved BR blue with headlight. 

I looked at the Locomotion website earlier today and it was showing none of any available.  Have you got a link to the KOYLI ones?

• RMweb Premium

Just waiting on a spare purple one becoming available... ...fingers crossed. I presume this will be done after purple ones have been dispatched and safely received.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, E100 said:

Just waiting on a spare purple one becoming available... ...fingers crossed. I presume this will be done after purple ones have been dispatched and safely received.

Have you registered to be told if becomes available?

Roy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

That is the most interesting period to me!

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered D9002 from Locomotion using the link above, it will go nicely with D9009, ordered from Rails.  Hopefully if a second run is announced, Accurascale Scale will do 55019 with the high intensity headlight, so I can run all three together as they did in 2017 down the ECML to the Bluebell Railway.

Edited by jools1959
Additional information

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

I looked at the Locomotion website earlier today and it was showing none of any available.  Have you got a link to the KOYLI ones?

This is the link to the other version of KOYLI. This is as preserved at the end of its time with BR. The link amwells provided further up is as currently preserved with high intensity headlight and orange cantrail stripe. 

https://www.locomotionmodels.com/future-releases/br-class-55-no-55002-koyli

Edited by nightstar.train
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I hadn't heard before that DP2 was fitted with a Class 40 engine. Wasn't the Class 40 engine a 16SVT whereas DP2 and the 50s were 16CSVT engines - similar but a later development. DP2's engine was reused in D400 and then later in other Class 50s as engine swops occurred.

Yes basically, as l said, a class 40 engine, uprated with improved turbocharging over the feeble 5 - 10 psi charge air of the 40s. The C indicates addition of charge air cooling, increasing its efficiency. 

The 40 engine itself, the same as 10203, was an uprated version of those in 10000/1 and 10201/2.

Finally, a further uprated version of the engine with higher still charge air and increased rpm was used in the 56.

Similarly, the 44, 45/46, and 47s had 'A' 'B' and 'C' versions of the same engine.

Edited by Ken.W

3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Hopefully if a second run is announced, Accurascale Scale will do 55019 with the high intensity headlight, so I can run all three together as they did in 2017 down the ECML to the Bluebell Railway.

I'm hoping that the second run will have 55019 as currently running, Gordon in TTG with Wipacs, RSG in TTG with headlights circa 1999 and 55008 in Blue.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 05/06/2022 at 20:40, paulbb said:

BR's  Chief Mechanical Engineer J.F. Harrison disliked 'nose ends' on diesel locos, and also believed that high speed engines 1500 rpm of more to be 'unsuitable' for rail applications, and was a strong supporter of the Brush/Sulzer combination that gave us the class 47.  He retired in 1966, so the HST may not have seen the light of day had he been in post, possibly.

19 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

While I have nothing solid to back it up, I have heard multiple accounts that Mr Harrison was somewhat 'in bed' with Sulzer, which I'm guessing led to the bias towards the 47 design. 

Hmm, there does seem to have been some preference, if not bias, within BR towards Brush/Sulzer, however when it came to the second generation Type 4s it also seems that EE to some extent simply missed the boat.

The 40s were quite simply overweight and underpowered for 'Main Line' locos.

Fair enough the initial batch of 10 were early pilot scheme locos, the type continued to be built without any improvement for 4½ years totalling 200 locos! The final 40s were actually outshopped months after the last of the Deltics!

Meanwhile, with Brush/Sulzer, with the contemporary 'Peaks', the pilot scheme locos were 300hp higher to start with, and the production series uprated to 500 hp higher- 25% greater.

They were therefore significantly superior in performance to the 40s. When l first got on the Newcastle - Liverpools as secondman in the late 70s, they were by then booked for 45/46 haulage, but occasionally we still got 40s on them. Our turns with these were to Leeds and back, and waiting at Leeds for our return working we always knew when a 40 was on, they were always late! And when we saw the 40 coming in, we knew it'd be a late finish,  they just couldn't keep the 'Peak' timings.

By the time EE did come up with DP2, using a bodyshell design that actually pre-dated the 40s - 'Deltic' was built 1955 - and the engine uprated as should have been done, at Brush the 47 was already going into production. 

EE left behind.

Anyway, what's all this got to do with a thread on Class 55s?

Well, quite a lot actually, in a way the 40s did us a great favour on here. Some of the early trials of them were on the ECML, and the Eastern management took one look at them, decided those things are no use for us, and went off a d bought themselves a fleet of Deltics.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Hmm, there does seem to have been some preference, if not bias, within BR towards Brush/Sulzer, however when it came to the second generation Type 4s it also seems that EE to some extent simply missed the boat.

The 40s were quite simply overweight and underpowered for 'Main Line' locos.

Fair enough the initial batch of 10 were early pilot scheme locos, the type continued to be built without any improvement for 4½ years totalling 200 locos! The final 40s were actually outshopped months after the last of the Deltics!

Meanwhile, with Brush/Sulzer, with the contemporary 'Peaks', the pilot scheme locos were 300hp higher to start with, and the production series uprated to 500 hp higher- 25% greater.

They were therefore significantly superior in performance to the 40s. When l first got on the Newcastle - Liverpools as secondman in the late 70s, they were by then booked for 45/46 haulage, but occasionally we still got 40s on them. Our turns with these were to Leeds and back, and waiting at Leeds for our return working we always knew when a 40 was on, they were always late! And when we saw the 40 coming in, we knew it'd be a late finish,  they just couldn't keep the 'Peak' timings.

By the time EE did come up with DP2, using a bodyshell design that actually pre-dated the 40s - 'Deltic' was built 1955 - and the engine uprated as should have been done, at Brush the 47 was already going into production. 

EE left behind.

Anyway, what's all this got to do with a thread on Class 55s?

Well, quite a lot actually, in a way the 40s did us a great favour on here. Some of the early trials of them were on the ECML, and the Eastern management took one look at them, decided those things are no use for us, and went off a d bought themselves a fleet of Deltics.

Thanks for sharing your experiences,at times these threads are so interesting,a great knowledge base for all of us.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, 60800 said:

I'm hoping that the second run will have 55019 as currently running, Gordon in TTG with Wipacs, RSG in TTG with headlights circa 1999 and 55008 in Blue.

Cheers,

yes yes yes (to 19, 16 and RSG c1999)

Although maybe not all in the same batch as that would be rather expensive! But if needs must, could be stomached. 

In an ideal world I but DCC ready and just swap sound chips into the locos being run on a particular day/month. However given the cost of fitting decent speakers to each loco to enable this, the additional cost of sound fitted starts to look stupidly good value....

• Agree 1

Just looking at the recent livery samples (sold out) on the AS website for 5 and 11. I believe the only models of 'plain' BR Blue as per final years (as opposed to FP White, or 15 and 9000 embellishments). With a bit of weathering and appropriate lighting they really would look very convincing. Not my era (and both scrapped, so even more ruled out for me), but really quite magnificent. Looking forward to seeing pics of these two in appropriate surroundings.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 60800 said:

Cheers,

I hope Accurascale do 55022 in it’s present condition as it’s due out on the main line later this year.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Just looking at the recent livery samples (sold out) on the AS website for 5 and 11. I believe the only models of 'plain' BR Blue as per final years (as opposed to FP White, or 15 and 9000 embellishments). With a bit of weathering and appropriate lighting they really would look very convincing. Not my era (and both scrapped, so even more ruled out for me), but really quite magnificent. Looking forward to seeing pics of these two in appropriate surroundings.

Absolutely. I’m surprised the “banger blue” plated ones didn’t sell more quickly. From 1977 onwards it was the default Deltic look for me.

19 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I hope Accurascale do 55022 in it’s present condition as it’s due out on the main line later this year.

I'm sure either will sell (and presumably there won't be much difference between 22 as outshopped in 2022 and as she was running under Martin Walker ownership).

The advantage of TTG is that the loco worked VXC services in this condition.