Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dicky L said:

Just wondering did Deltics always have a 2 man crew? or would it be appropriate to just have a driver in some of the Deltics?

No, but I'll leave it to the experts to explain in detail.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

Wasnt he the driver of the Elizabethan in the BTF film of the same name?

Also:

"As the Elizabethan passes York, a Scots crew - consisting of driver McLeod and fireman Mungo - relieves the first pair"

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/06/2022 at 10:25, brushman47544 said:

Wasn't there an agreement with the Unions that trains running at 100mph or above would be double manned? It was only later that single manning was agreed. HSTs were double manned when first introduced.

On 02/06/2022 at 10:41, boxbrownie said:

Yes, all Deltics were double manned during BR service.

I think it was around 1996 or so the agreement with ASLEF regarding 110 mph working was implemented.

No, the high speed manning agreement was for trains traveling over 100 mph, later amended to over 110, ie up to 100 /110 wasn't affected by this. Also, it was for manning by two drivers, not driver and secondman.

After the '68 manning agreement then, yes, Deltics could run single manned, just as any other locos, though as 40052 had already posted, this was subject to certain conditions, such as if any part of the driver's diagram included a steam heated train, or LE running, or if it didn't have a PNB break, then the whole turn had to be double manned.

And of course, the Deltics did regularly work steam heated trains, particularly the overnights as HSTs took over, right up to their end of service. So, as secondman l was on all apart from the first two withdrawn.

Although AS describe the BR blue ones as 'electric heat' they were in fact always duel. 

• Informative/Useful 3

On 02/06/2022 at 11:04, thetrains said:

Noticed the horns on roof of Nimbus which look good, I am not a Deltic detail/modification expert, but looking back this morning at old books, I can't find any photos from early sixties with roof mounted horns for any Deltic.  Was this unique to Nimbus at that time 1962, Accuras. specs say buffer beam mounted as was in 1964?  I have Creppelo on order as Nimbus sold out, and was going to relocate horns to bonnet but now may put them on roof instead.  Rule 1, haha.  Cheers

One of my Deltic books has that the last three had roof mounted horns as built, pity AS have missed this but should be an easy enough mod to do.

Hmm, mention of Crepello, afraid my nickname for that one had an 'a' in it, as l don't think l was ever on it with both engines operational! 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ken.W said:

One of my Deltic books has that the last three had roof mounted horns as built, pity AS have missed this but should be an easy enough mod to do.

Hmm, mention of Crepello, afraid my nickname for that one had an 'a' in it, as l don't think l was ever on it with both engines operational! 

Not sure why you say missed, as modelled I don’t think roof mounted horns would be right on the models. 

Riy

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Ken, the roof mounted horns were removed in late 62, and replaced with the behind the buffer beam horns. From what I have been told by various well informed sources the roof mounted horns were an attempt to improve the audibility of the horns, tails later found the best place was the nose mounted horns.

Al Taylor

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ken.W said:

No, the high speed manning agreement was for trains traveling over 100 mph, later amended to over 110, ie up to 100 /110 wasn't affected by this. Also, it was for manning by two drivers, not driver and secondman.

After the '68 manning agreement then, yes, Deltics could run single manned, just as any other locos, though as 40052 had already posted, this was subject to certain conditions, such as if any part of the driver's diagram included a steam heated train, or LE running, or if it didn't have a PNB break, then the whole turn had to be double manned.

And of course, the Deltics did regularly work steam heated trains, particularly the overnights as HSTs took over, right up to their end of service. So, as secondman l was on all apart from the first two withdrawn.

Although AS describe the BR blue ones as 'electric heat' they were in fact always duel. 

I stand corrected, my memory was only of talking to my Uncle when accompanying him on my lucky days out, I know I never rode a Deltic cab without a second man in attendance as well, but certainly did on the rail cars 😄

• Thanks 1

David, the '68 manning agreement had more conditions than those I and Ken W have alluded to. For example there were restrictions for single manned turns on distance travelled non-stop and number of hours continuous without a break - for KX men any first stop Doncaster or York runs may have breached either or both of these conditions hence needing a secondman, and these could have been the turns you accompanied your Uncle on, especially if he was in the Top Link. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ac1874 said:

Rails of Sheffield have just left an Accurascale sound fitted Deltic sized hole in my bank account, got a feeling this is going to be a good week....

Did you not get the e mail saying there accounts been hacked then....................

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, ac1874 said:

Rails of Sheffield have just left an Accurascale sound fitted Deltic sized hole in my bank account, got a feeling this is going to be a good week....

Nothing regarding my preorder yet……

You must be closer to the top of the list than me

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/06/2022 at 10:11, boxbrownie said:

My driver will be Ron Kennedy……or “The Red Baron” 😉

I’ll have Mick.I can’t remember his surname to my shame,but  he was great freinds with my Uncles,one of whom,Richard Finlay,worked at Finsbury Park as a fitter and arranged for me to cab a HST with him and his mate Bob to Doncaster in May 1981.One of the best days of my life.He lived around Potters Bar and was a Top Link driver.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 40052 said:

David, the '68 manning agreement had more conditions than those I and Ken W have alluded to. For example there were restrictions for single manned turns on distance travelled non-stop and number of hours continuous without a break - for KX men any first stop Doncaster or York runs may have breached either or both of these conditions hence needing a secondman, and these could have been the turns you accompanied your Uncle on, especially if he was in the Top Link. 

Indeed I can imagine, I still have an ASLEF pocket book somewhere which is filled with the conditions and rules, my Uncle was a branch leader at K+ as I remember, and I even accompanied him on a few “marches” back in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

I know he spent most of his rest days buried in piles of union papers 😁

10 hours ago, scots region said:

Apros of future ideas for spare Bachmann Deltics, say BR had decided to build Fifty instead of Twenty-two Deltics because... your preferred reason. What would the next twenty-eight locomotives be named as? Any ideas?  

Likely more regiments and racehorses. If these ran out, likely names used for A3s and A4s. Just a guess.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Likely more regiments and racehorses. If these ran out, likely names used for A3s and A4s. Just a guess.

No shortage of those to use for another 28, and yes, I would agree that would be the approach. 

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to think that the next one would have been named "The 23rd Hussars".

Kev.

(Or would that have to have been the next next one? Either way, it would throw the numbering sequence out at some point in time!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back from sunny Scotland (yes it was for once!) email fired off to the lads at Accurascale giving the ok to ship, getting excited now 😀😎🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

why is there no diesel loco emoji ……….

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, scots region said:

Apros of future ideas for spare Bachmann Deltics, say BR had decided to build Fifty instead of Twenty-two Deltics because... your preferred reason. What would the next twenty-eight locomotives be named as? Any ideas?  

As they would probably have gone to the WR they would possibly have been 'Stars' or even 'Monarchs' or have used broad gauge or Dean Single names. (Gerry Fiennes had tried to get some for the Western but the ER wouldn't relinquish any from their order and the BRB wouldn't allow the WR to order any additional locos)

• Informative/Useful 5