Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Surely the 23rd Deltic is DP2?

I believe DP2 took the body and chassis intended for Ballymoss.It would be a easy cash grab for Accurascale,perhaps it’s too soon after the Heljan version for them,but perhaps a limited edition later on?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/06/2022 at 06:35, Roy Langridge said:

Not sure why you say missed, as modelled I don’t think roof mounted horns would be right on the models. 

Riy

Well, the photo linked in the posts l was replying to showed Nimbus, with small yellow panels, and still with the roof mounted horns, which would probably be more appropriate for the period l model.

AS seem to have just about every other variation covered.

On 04/06/2022 at 08:44, 45125 said:

Ken, the roof mounted horns were removed in late 62, and replaced with the behind the buffer beam horns. From what I have been told by various well informed sources the roof mounted horns were an attempt to improve the audibility of the horns, tails later found the best place was the nose mounted horns.

Al Taylor

Thanks for that Al. The book l referred to gave the same reason for the trial of roof horns, but as l recall not how long they lasted (can't find the reference to them at present). I had the impression they'd lasted longer.

Personally though, I'm not so sure about the bonnet mounted ones being better.

I remember one occasion on one, we were standing in (the then) platform 10 at Newcastle, the platform being on my side l was leaning out the window looking for the guards right away. When the guard gave the tip l popped the horn in acknowledgement, but popped the wrong one giving myself a thick ear!

Made sure l didn't do that again!!

Edited by Ken.W
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Naming policy depends on where deployed..

55101 Dreadnought

55102 Superb

55103 Temeraire

?

What re-engineering or design change would have required a 55/1 designation? 🙂

I think had the DP2 design gone into production that it would have been a new class? 

Cheers,

5 minutes ago, 60800 said:

What re-engineering or design change would have required a 55/1 designation? 🙂

I think had the DP2 design gone into production that it would have been a new class? 

Cheers,

I think you’re right. DP2 had a different and less powerful engine, which would have been important operationally. Classes 44, 45 and 46, especially 45 and 46, might well have been classed as subclasses if thinking had been a little different at the time. As for a DP2 production series, perhaps Class 50? 😇

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Ken.W said:

Well, the photo linked in the posts l was replying to showed Nimbus, with small yellow panels, and still with the roof mounted horns, which would probably be more appropriate for the period l model.

The point I was making is that Accurascale have missed nothing, they have just not modelled Nimbus for a very niche 6 month period. To say they missed it is rather disparaging.

If you model a six month period then I imagine you have a very limited choice of RTR available. 

Roy

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I think you’re right. DP2 had a different and less powerful engine, which would have been important operationally. Classes 44, 45 and 46, especially 45 and 46, might well have been classed as subclasses if thinking had been a little different at the time. As for a DP2 production series, perhaps Class 50? 😇

Quite right. DieselPrototype2 wasnt a 'Deltic' - the name refers to the Napier Deltic engines fitted in the 55s and 'Baby Deltic' 23s.

DP2 had a class 40 engine, but fitted with turbo chargers which actually did more than just make a nice noise for the enthusiasts to listen to.

And yes, the 50s were the DP2 production series, but by that time BR's design standards required flat fronted cabs.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

If you model a six month period then I imagine you have a very limited choice of RTR available. 

Well that's certainly not what l said!

This is though towards the end of the period l cover, so as l did say roof mounted horns would,d be more appropriate for me, and as the photo l was referring to showed would not be wrong as you'd suggested.

I've already said though that I'd had the impression they'd lasted longer, and they'll be an easy mod to do.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ken.W said:

Well that's certainly not what l said!

This is though towards the end of the period l cover, so as l did say roof mounted horns would,d be more appropriate for me, and as the photo l was referring to showed would not be wrong as you'd suggested.

I've already said though that I'd had the impression they'd lasted longer, and they'll be an easy mod to do.

With respect, I have never said it was wrong for there to be a Deltic with roof horns, just that as Accurascale have chosen to model Nimus they would not be present.

Nimbus only carried roof horns for a short time (from new until November 1962). Nimbus carrying roof horns and a centre nose lamp bracket narrows that timeframe to late-June to November 1962. However, at that time it didn’t carry the 34A shed plate (as modelled), which is I why I said it would be wrong to add them to this model.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

You'd think Andy was speshul or somefink.

I'm in the same queue as everyone else. 🙂

It was more a distraction from other deviations.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Are we ready to test how robust the site is now as this thread will go into warp once arriving models start cracking the block paving on customers drives and putting posties on the sick with back trouble or hernias..........are we closing the blast doors........

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'm in the same queue as everyone else. 🙂

It was more a distraction from other deviations.

Oh. Please can you refund me the fireworks I just let off in celebration. :(

• Funny 7

7 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Quite right. DieselPrototype2 wasnt a 'Deltic' - the name refers to the Napier Deltic engines fitted in the 55s and 'Baby Deltic' 23s.

DP2 had a class 40 engine, but fitted with turbo chargers which actually did more than just make a nice noise for the enthusiasts to listen to.

And yes, the 50s were the DP2 production series, but by that time BR's design standards required flat fronted cabs.

BR's  Chief Mechanical Engineer J.F. Harrison disliked 'nose ends' on diesel locos, and also believed that high speed engines 1500 rpm of more to be 'unsuitable' for rail applications, and was a strong supporter of the Brush/Sulzer combination that gave us the class 47.  He retired in 1966, so the HST may not have seen the light of day had he been in post, possibly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, paulbb said:

BR's  Chief Mechanical Engineer J.F. Harrison disliked 'nose ends' on diesel locos, and also believed that high speed engines 1500 rpm of more to be 'unsuitable' for rail applications, and was a strong supporter of the Brush/Sulzer combination that gave us the class 47.  He retired in 1966, so the HST may not have seen the light of day had he been in post, possibly.

While I have nothing solid to back it up, I have heard multiple accounts that Mr Harrison was somewhat 'in bed' with Sulzer, which I'm guessing led to the bias towards the 47 design. 

No doubt this also contributed towards the decisions made when comparing D-hydraulics with D-electrics. The Germans certainly did alright with engines over 1500 rpm!

Anyway, nothing more than off-topic hearsay!

Cameron

19 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Thanks for that Al. The book l referred to gave the same reason for the trial of roof horns, but as l recall not how long they lasted (can't find the reference to them at present). I had the impression they'd lasted longer.

Personally though, I'm not so sure about the bonnet mounted ones being better.

I remember one occasion on one, we were standing in (the then) platform 10 at Newcastle, the platform being on my side l was leaning out the window looking for the guards right away. When the guard gave the tip l popped the horn in acknowledgement, but popped the wrong one giving myself a thick ear!

Made sure l didn't do that again!!

Good job it was not a set of KLA5's from the US then.

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Never been so happy to see a substantial amount been taken from my account by Rails this morning 🤣

I haven't herd anything from Rails yet I presume they contact you first?

My other one is from Locomotion but I had to pay all up front for that one so I'm guessing I might not even hear anything from them it will presumably just turn up at some point.

I couldn't get either model with sound but I have an SWD Loksound 5 decoder for one of them the other will have to be without sound for the moment, but the issue will be which one gets the sound 55002 or 55015?

• Like 1