Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Haverail said:

Train-o-matic Lokommander 2 Mini M21. It is not sound and a budget decoder. 

Just wondered as I always have to fiddle around with the settings in the V5 to get anywhere near the slow running of my Zimo chips, interesting.

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Just wondered as I always have to fiddle around with the settings in the V5 to get anywhere near the slow running of my Zimo chips, interesting.

Aha!  Glad it’s not just me!

I’d almost given up on DCC due to all the faffing around, until I checked out Zimo. 12 months later I’m 100% Zimo - but with an ESU to look forward to

I’d really hoped that ESU (as a premium decoder manufacturer) had progressed beyond the mainstream 

• Like 1

Well mine did arrive - I arranged for a colleague to drop it off - literally into the garden in a bin bag, but he didn't drop it!!

Not the most coherent at the moment at feeling sorry for myself, but opened her up, carefully.

All steps and fuel tank pipes in place it appears, and one chain had dropped.

Thanks to McC for the clarification of the 'friction fit' of the chain into the bogie sideframe, for eventual body removal.

Some 'bedding in' seems to be required, but generally its running very smoothly as expected - and at ~820g very heavy and powerful!

Al.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McC said:

It certainly should Stu, once you are running on DCC (and with a compatible DCC chip)

I have the same with mine, just tried running it for 40 minutes, lifted off the tracks and lights go out and wheels stop instantly. It has the factory fitted sound decoder.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe a silly request or may have been covered before. Could you have options for the DCC so that if like myself where I have a MPD I have no need for the station announcements but can only get to level 20 so I cannot get the engine bay lights on change these settings sorry but a bit of a novice on these things but I am really missing out on some functions

• Like 1

Just to chip in on the stay alive question - I have 3 sound Deltics and they all run for about 5 seconds after being lifted off the track. They are also incredibly smooth runners even at speed step 1 - for me loksound and lokpilot chips work really well  - far better than Zimo especially from an ABC perspective.  My controller is an ECoS - perhaps that makes a difference? . . .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/06/2022 at 23:01, Hound Dog said:

I also did extensive testing of the Kinematic couplings this weekend with my two Deltics …….. with the entire Kinematic coupling mechanism removed at both ends, both locos ran for 40 minutes on each loop and in each direction without a single derailment.

Refit the kinematic coupling to one end only and without the tension lock inserted, then both derail consistently……..there is definitely a snagging somewhere within this mechanism, which as I have previously posted is not helped by my R2 curves and inclines……. However all my other non- kinematic coupled locos seem to be able to tolerate any peculiarities within my layout.

Currently I have two light engine Deltics in the stabling yard pending a cunning plan on an alternative way to mount a coupling.……. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Good news - I have cured my coupling snagging problem by changing the profile and increasing the clearance on the supplied Kinematic couplings - see picture for before and after

Both Deltics now run faultlessly on my layout with the couplings reinstalled at the trailing end, and tests coupled with coaches have seen no derailments.

Just the crew and many loose pieces to be fitted and both locos can be released to service !

2838FD33-9F46-4C94-8E19-E4B676DE6A80.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

15 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

A fourth and final Deltic and this canvas print arrived this morning and have resulted in a 4 week ban from spending any more money on “Deltic sh1t”.  In the doghouse.

Ps, apparently this isn’t allowed on the dining room wall……

A21A4DAC-276D-4B28-BE48-E21524E6A483.jpeg

I suggest you try the following, while I must admit it has never worked well for me in the slightest. It may work for you  and that is "Don't get mad at me, you married this. You chose this best beloved."  :)

Edited by wairoa
  • Funny 1

True to form, Facebook over the past two weeks has been full of people recieving Deltics who have absolutely no clue, are screaming into the void about non issues (or things that have been remedied / fixed on here in a matter of minutes) and are generally not being helpful to Accurascale's image at all. 

If I wrote a list of everything I have seen you would all tell me I was joking, but the latest one was this;

Someone is kicking off because they ordered and received 55002 FYE but they were expecting D9002 as preserved. 

This apparently is Accurascale's fault as they have got the numbering wrong and is Locomotion's fault for sending the wrong one. Have they contacted anyone at Accurascale? No. Have they contacted anyone at Locomotion? No. Will they admit they ordered the one they received? No.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

Maybe a silly request or may have been covered before. Could you have options for the DCC so that if like myself where I have a MPD I have no need for the station announcements but can only get to level 20 so I cannot get the engine bay lights on change these settings sorry but a bit of a novice on these things but I am really missing out on some functions

im in exactly the same boat with the newer locos with 28functions and I only have 20 available on my controller, be interesting to know if you can swap the functions around

56 minutes ago, Jonb82 said:

im in exactly the same boat with the newer locos with 28functions and I only have 20 available on my controller, be interesting to know if you can swap the functions around

Yes you can move (or remove) functions at will

It involves some cv programming though and is best attempted with some programming software. I use DecoderPro/JMRI but others are available 

Id also ALWAYS take a “backup” of the as-delivered CVs in case things go awry. You can always then restore

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 60800 said:

True to form, Facebook over the past two weeks has been full of people recieving Deltics who have absolutely no clue, are screaming into the void about non issues (or things that have been remedied / fixed on here in a matter of minutes) and are generally not being helpful to Accurascale's image at all. 

If I wrote a list of everything I have seen you would all tell me I was joking, but the latest one was this;

Someone is kicking off because they ordered and received 55002 FYE but they were expecting D9002 as preserved. 

This apparently is Accurascale's fault as they have got the numbering wrong and is Locomotion's fault for sending the wrong one. Have they contacted anyone at Accurascale? No. Have they contacted anyone at Locomotion? No. Will they admit they ordered the one they received? No.

Cheers,

It's why a number of people are turning their backs on social media.   They're little more than echo chambers.  In a similar vein, YouTube, where the monetisation ("click like and follow me"), is tiresome. That said, there are still a few on YouTube who produce videos about subjects they care about with no thought of self promotion 

BAck to accurascale.  I always wondered whether the pop ups on the bottom of their website saying 'Big Jim has just bought x' were real.   I got my answer on Friday when i bought a deltic crew and saw my own name on the bottom of the screen..  ...😂

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

BAck to accurascale.  I always wondered whether the pop ups on the bottom of their website saying 'Big Jim has just bought x' were real.   I got my answer on Friday when i bought a deltic crew and saw my own name on the bottom of the screen..  ...😂

Yes, they’re real all right. There must be a lot of men on here hoping that their wives never discover that feature!

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Yes indeed they are real. I managed to get a screenshot of the one telling the world that I had purchased an A class loco!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, 60800 said:

Cheers,

Where do I find this post? I fancy a good laugh!

33 minutes ago, thetrains said:

Can you say what you actually did, it looks like you have filed them down, if so by how much?  After a week of no issues, mine yesterday is now periodically derailing on R5 curves after coming off of either R2 & 3 in fiddle yard.  What I can see is the kinematic is staying stuck over.  I wonder if a weeks wear and tear has caused this.

My initial issue of snagging had been solved by rounding the corners of rear of NEM pocket so it did not snag on bogie, however on one end the NEM pocket is removed after detailing b/beam, but i can see kinematic gets stuck.  Many thanks.

Hi - I just filed down the centre point until just before I reached the boss on the centre screw location and then just smoothed out the run off into the corners of the coupling to try get the profile as “flat” as possible - the picture shows it best.

A word of caution - when removing the coupling be very careful with the little spring as they have life of their own and can be challenging to refit…….. best to remove buffer beam first and reassembled the coupling on a flat piece of wood and then offer this up to the loco ( upside down) and slide the coupling into position - if you try to lift it over, the spring will surely pop off.

I also filed down the lugs at the rear of the coupling base plate as I felt the bogie gear housing was perhaps coming into contact with it, especially if the bogie was well off the horizontal.

hope this helps.

Edited by Hound Dog
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A common thread that runs through the posts here is that of forum members hoping to somehow mitigate their guilt  about massive over expenditure by reports of wifely reaction at being “found out” ….even to the extent of a suggestion of counselling on the “difficulty”. This phenomenon has emerged on this forum over the years as something quite common.among members…me included it must be added,though I’ve never posted on the matter out of deference to my late wife.

So then,gents,let me just turn the perspective around. Yes,I was all too frequently taken to task and probably with some justification and yes,I was guilty of some of the forms of subterfuge that I’ve read on this thread over the last couple of weeks. But I tell you this …..I would much prefer her carping to have continued as it was……Think on it.

I have always thought that the 'wives stories' were made up in order to have a non-woke chuckle, that's why I introduced the idea of 'Matron' in a nursing home for those of us already there some pages ago. Also 'gone along' is my greatly missed partner who once informed me of her disinterest in my "sodding trains". Hey-ho!

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the Powerpack (Stay Alive) issues some have mentioned.  I wonder if there are a number of models out there that do not have the Powerpack configured in the decoder correctly.  The V5 manual states the following:

image.png.3932bdd74f7c6e9b640665550d3290e0.png

When I look at my two sound equipped Deltics (55001 and 55018) using the LokProgrammer, they both show AUX9 as 'disabled' and CV 339 as 0.

Can someone who has a correctly functioning Powerpack report back with the value of CV 339 (with CV31=16, CV32=0)?

Perhaps Fran or one of the other members of the AC team can confirm if I have understood the configuration requirements correctly.

If I can find time later I will change the settings to see if it makes a difference.

Steve

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Cheshire Lines. said:

Just to chip in on the stay alive question - I have 3 sound Deltics and they all run for about 5 seconds after being lifted off the track. They are also incredibly smooth runners even at speed step 1 - for me loksound and lokpilot chips work really well  - far better than Zimo especially from an ABC perspective.  My controller is an ECoS - perhaps that makes a difference? . . .

Nope, my controller is an ECoS also, and completely up to date with firmware, every single V5 (I bought five at Christmas for something to do over the holidays!) has needed “tuning” and some are still not, to me, acceptable.

Zimo sound decoders I have honestly found plug and play, those are my honest findings.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

Good news - I have cured my coupling snagging problem by changing the profile and increasing the clearance on the supplied Kinematic couplings - see picture for before and after

Both Deltics now run faultlessly on my layout with the couplings reinstalled at the trailing end, and tests coupled with coaches have seen no derailments.

Just the crew and many loose pieces to be fitted and both locos can be released to service !

2838FD33-9F46-4C94-8E19-E4B676DE6A80.jpeg

Mines gone back to AS for fettling or something now, out of interest just how difficult was it to get to the coupling, was it a complete body off, bogie off etc ?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thetrains said:

Can you say what you actually did, it looks like you have filed them down, if so by how much?  After a week of no issues, mine yesterday is now periodically derailing on R5 curves after coming off of either R2 & 3 in fiddle yard.  What I can see is the kinematic is staying stuck over.  I wonder if a weeks wear and tear has caused this.

My initial issue of snagging had been solved by rounding the corners of rear of NEM pocket so it did not snag on bogie, however on one end the NEM pocket is removed after detailing b/beam, but i can see kinematic gets stuck.  Many thanks.

That’s why mine has gone back, eventually found this when it was pulling a small load, hopefully AS will be able to “free up” the action.F3CFE27C-C56C-40FA-8DF5-3824BB582997.thumb.jpeg.b434b3a5f23a8a8a45bf707cc3a56a78.jpeg