Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

got them both run in, superb runners out the box. A few bits came away from 022 obstacle deflectors and brake cylinder but both glued back on not problem. did note the lack of any glue marks on the cylinder so going to check the rest of them to save any trouble later on. Unfortunately the nose end step that was in the box is no longer in the box so recon that's a right off, thankfully shawplan do a pack of etched ones.

other than that all good! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamesC37LG said:

Just gone to detail my D9010 and I noticed that train air pipes are included, as is the appropriate hole in the bufferbeam. However, the Napier Chronicles website suggests that D9010 did not receive dual braking until it was painted blue in February 1968. Is anyone able to confirm if I can/should/should not fit said pipe to my model if I wanted to be accurate?

Cheers

James

Yes dual braked and blue livery on the same visit to Donny in Feb 1968. Was in green full yellows, with BR arrows from Dec 1966, still vac braked.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

Just got Ballymoss out for another drool. I have 2 sets of etched nameplates - is this a thing or have I got a bonus set?

The other set is possibly mine My Ballymoss had Durham Light Infantry etched nameplates in the box. I'm currently waiting for a resolution via the returns procdure.

2 hours ago, McC said:

you can pop the magnetic hatch on the roof and check?

Unboxing might be a problem for the unitiated. I guess i will have to see how far they can get and if there is a problem and no replacement stock thdre is always the retrofit kits....

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 96701 said:

The other set is possibly mine My Ballymoss had Durham Light Infantry etched nameplates in the box. I'm currently waiting for a resolution via the returns procdure.

Well if you get no joy I’ll post a set out to you 😀🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Well if you get no joy I’ll post a set out to you 😀🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

That's very kind of you, but I have every faith in Accurascale.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, philg said:

Am I the only one wondering why the decoders don’t come preprogrammed with the optimum set of CVs? Other sound decoders I’ve purchased have done…..

Daft thought, could it be down to different controllers and power supplies ? Some putting out more umph to the layout ? Anyone had two 55's on the same layout with differing responses on start up ?

Which would blow my theory out the water ? Ok would probably need to be either two sound or two non sound to test properly

1 hour ago, philg said:

Am I the only one wondering why the decoders don’t come preprogrammed with the optimum set of CVs? Other sound decoders I’ve purchased have done…..

Mine seems to behave itself OK!

Although TBH I never tested it on speed step one.

Top speed with default seems to be about 135mph. I don't think that's unreasonable given they could do more than 100 in real life?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Details details. As someone who used to test airhorns ( later Airchime ones, currently still in use on the network) it’s great that the ones on the deltics have different lengths, as they should 👍👏😁😎🚂🚂🚂🚂

A big THANK YOU to the well wishers - +ve test stopping earlier running of my KOYLI as it was delivered to work!

Don't feel that bad, but early days, and fully vaccinated ...

Back to Deltics, must admit I'm feeling a little frustrated!  What's a few more days? !!

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 5

On 29/06/2022 at 19:45, gwrrob said:

Looking from the outside as a dedicated steam modeller can anyone tell the uninitiated why this model is the last on the shelf please. 

Pre-TOPS blue models are always the last to leave the shelves. Plain green and green yellow panel versions sell to the multitude of Transition Era modellers (late 1950s/early-mid 1960s, quite understandable as you get the best of both worlds). When steam traction ended in August 1968 many (most?) photographers put their cameras away, bringing them out again when rail enthusiasm found its second wind in the mid 1970s, prompted mainly by the impending loss of the charismatic Western diesel-hydraulics, by which time all (other) locomotives were bearing TOPS numbers and nearly all blue. The subdued interest during the intervening period meant it was therefore not as well recorded as the periods either side. That's not to say the platform ends at Kings Cross or anywhere else were deserted, just not as busy as they had been.....and would be again. And the 'new wave' also understandably prefer to model what they remember - with TOPS numbers.

Personally, having become interested in 1966 in an already steam-free zone (the far South West) my nostalgia is rooted in that intervening period. My first Deltic was D9020 Nimbus in blue, at Kings Cross on 27th December 1969 and my last was 9018 Ballymoss seen passing Finsbury Park during my only visit to the depot on 3rd March 1973 - all 22 seen within that pre-TOPS 'window' and relatively few visits to the London end of the ECML, not that it was difficult to achieve with such a 'captive' class! Most unexpected location for a 'cop' was 9000 RSG inside Stratford Works on 25th July 1970 - I found out a long time later that it was there for repairs following an argument with some level crossing gates. Happy days!

Edited by Halvarras
Nostalgia got the better of me....added some notes!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Silly question, which end of the deltic has the buffer beam with the extra two pipes.   The one with or without the extra panel on the side 

I took both off at the same time for detailing without realising they were handed

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Silly question, which end of the deltic has the buffer beam with the extra two pipes.   The one with or without the extra panel on the side 

I took both off at the same time for detailing without realising they were handed

Given the two extra pipes are for the exhauster, and that is what is behind the hatch, I would assume that end. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Given the two extra pipes are for the exhauster, and that is what is behind the hatch, I would assume that end. 

Roy

Thanks,  I did assume the two must be releated 

Deltic now fully reassembled with a Dingham coupling added at one end and the Accurascale screw coupling at the other, of course along with full pipework.  Finishes it off very nicely (and the removable buffer beam certainly makes life easier fitting both the details and the new coupling.

unfortunatly it does look like while ive been working on it one of the guards on the bogie has fallen off and vanished (I think it is the same one I glued back on yesterday).  Will have to have a proper hunt for it tonight...

edit: now found and reglued in its rightful place!

1E780F9A-73C1-4BD8-8932-30E504B92BE3.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just back from holiday and picked up my Deltic .  Truly it is a thing of beauty .  Yet to test run it , hopefully I get chance at weekend .  There were various very small bits in yellow and black in the bottom of the tray (my loco is Nimbus in BR Green), very small components that frankly I've no idea where they came off  and aren't troubling me .  However three of the 4 chains appear to have come lose from the body . Whats the best way to re affix?   Apologies I'm sure this has been covered before somewhere in this 233 page thread  but as yet I haven't found .

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Legend said:

Just back from holiday and picked up my Deltic .  Truly it is a thing of beauty .  Yet to test run it , hopefully I get chance at weekend .  There were various very small bits in yellow and black in the bottom of the tray (my loco is Nimbus in BR Green), very small components that frankly I've no idea where they came off  and aren't troubling me .  However three of the 4 chains appear to have come lose from the body . Whats the best way to re affix?   Apologies I'm sure this has been covered before somewhere in this 233 page thread  but as yet I haven't found .

If you don’t plan on removing the body, just glue them back on. Otherwise maybe tacky wax or something similar

• Like 1

A fourth and final Deltic and this canvas print arrived this morning and have resulted in a 4 week ban from spending any more money on “Deltic sh1t”.  In the doghouse.

Ps, apparently this isn’t allowed on the dining room wall……

A21A4DAC-276D-4B28-BE48-E21524E6A483.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Next run I'd like to see another Finsbury white window example 🙂

55008 Green Howards in BR Blue as per the 1978-81 period please along with Ian J's suggested additional FP white window race horse... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2