Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Given the Deltics were still available until fairly recently, heaven knows what the 37s will sell for. 

Roy

Better than money in the bank,think of them as savings........cassinos will be i will see your deltic and raise you two 37,s and a 92.......

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Given that the model is a sellout, an inevitable consequence will be some market re-allocation of supply by people tempted to sell. Let's not forget there are some big money pressures on people out there; for some, the desire to hold on to a model they may have struggled to afford may be overtaken by the need to use it to raise money for more pressing needs.

Very good point. I was an early buyer of the purple peril, it was also my first sound model purchased, though others turned up before it. As much as I like it, if the need arises, it will be one of the first to go. It’s a great hobby, but given the current climate, who knows what is next. Family first and all that. 

So, any one for a purple sound fitted Deltic….. zero miles on the clock only £899, go on, I’ll even cover the postage ;-) 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have sold some models for very high prices on ebay*, they have all found that level without me starting them high. 

*beyond anything I would be prepared to pay. 

Roy

I should be so lucky.....

Les

(perhaps I can get a share of the royalties on that?- more porcine aviators.......)

• RMweb Gold

food for thought, but off the back of the Deltic, its clear to me that should any other manufacturer think of touching a class 50, it will probably be shy in volume  to the tune of some 6-8000 or so sales of an Accurascale one should they go for it.. and think personally they should do at this stage. 
Thats a turnaround for me thinking the Hornby class 50 wasnt bad, but clearly quality is speaking louder, and I only see 3 other contenders (one which is unproven) to match that level, and price, and neither have ventured that far into modern image territory.

After that I think most high volume modern image diesels are then covered.

As for a second run of Deltics, I suspect thats inevitable, but some 92,37,31’s first please.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My Tulyar (from Locomotion) arrived in Calfornia a couple of days ago, and I just had time for a quick test. It really is a beautiful model, very smooth on DC. Some loose black bits which look like fuel tank attachments, and one broken headcode bracket. The part is present, so that is fixable. All chains present, one detached from the body, and one trapped above the bogie, the heads-up to look for the latter was very helpful. I'm very happy with it, and quite a bargain really.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2022 at 14:07, philg said:

I’m still waiting for my two, so can’t experiment, but I have been devouring the documentation as it becomes available

But

Have AccuraScale documented anywhere WHICH lights are wired to WHICH function outputs?  That’s basic knowledge that is needed before anyone tries to remap lights to other function buttons

Hopefully I’ve just missed it somewhere…..??

I’ve not seen anything in the enclosed documentation or the Deltic section on the website showing this information. I read the following data from the factory installed Loksound chip using an ESU Lokprogrammer.

F11 Tail lights - AUX 1 for No.1 end, AUX 2 for No.2 end. They are set up to change over automatically when loco direction is changed.

F12 Cab lights - AUX 3 for No.1 end, AUX 4 for No.2 end. They are set up to change over automatically when loco direction is changed. They are not set up to automatically switch off when loco moves off.

F22 Night lights (Wipac only) - AUX 5 for No.1 end, AUX 6 for No. 2 end.*
F23 Yard lights (Wipac only) - AUX 7 for No. 1 end, AUX 10 for No. 2 end.*

*As my Deltic does not have Wipac lighting fitted I forgot to check if these lights are set up as directional. I assume they are, but will double check tomorrow and edit post accordingly.

F25 Engine room light - AUX 11

Hope this helps.

I can confirm the Wipac lighting sets are set up for directional changeover.

Edited by Soul Survivor
Follow up check
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Haverail said:

When I tried this the value of CV339 was 0, CV323 was 2.

I tried it and the stay alive now works but the forward headlights now stay on permanantly.

I would not advise changing the value of CV323 as it controls AUX 7. On the factory installed Loksound chip AUX 7 is mapped to F23 which controls the Yard lights on Deltics fitted with Wipac lighting.

5 hours ago, Soul Survivor said:

I’ve not seen anything in the enclosed documentation or the Deltic section on the website showing this information. I read the following data from the factory installed Loksound chip using an ESU Lokprogrammer.

F11 Tail lights - AUX 1 for No.1 end, AUX 2 for No.2 end. They are set up to change over automatically when loco direction is changed.

F12 Cab lights - AUX 3 for No.1 end, AUX 4 for No.2 end. They are set up to change over automatically when loco direction is changed. They are not set up to automatically switch off when loco moves off.

F22 Night lights (Wipac only) - AUX 5 for No.1 end, AUX 6 for No. 2 end.*
F23 Yard lights (Wipac only) - AUX 7 for No. 1 end, AUX 10 for No. 2 end.*

*As my Deltic does not have Wipac lighting fitted I forgot to check if these lights are set up as directional. I assume they are, but will double check tomorrow and edit post accordingly.

F25 Engine room light - AUX 11

Hope this helps.

It does! Many thanks

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Graham108 said:

I can manage the first part- it's pushing it in I can't do. Just spent another 30 futile minutes - tried tweezers, flat-headed screwdriver and even a thumb / finger to no avail. Looking at the shape of it I'm guessing it's got to go up slightly rather than straight in?

All I've succeeded in doing is remove all the black paint - but that's a minor issue. And I've also lost a set of steps in the loft insulation somewhere - I hope A/S have some spares.

Mine are all now chainless. The model doesn’t suffer at all from not having them. There are some tiny blue mouldings (water fillers?) that also came off, but you wouldn’t notice, especially once a little chassis grime is applied. Both locos have settled into a stable state and get taken around the house with me, plonked on a convenient shelf or mantlepiece and admired.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Soul Survivor said:

I would not advise changing the value of CV323 as it controls AUX 7. On the factory installed Loksound chip AUX 7 is mapped to F23 which controls the Yard lights on Deltics fitted with Wipac lighting.

Agree, changing that appears to have caused the lights always on problem. Yet changing it allows gets the stay alive to work. It is disappointing that the decoder was not properly programmed when sent out, neither F5 or Stay alive were functioning on mine. Put the CV's back to how they were, stay alive still works and headlight back to original none working mode! The slow speed stuttering is also almost eliminate, perhaps the stay alive assists now it is working?

Edited by Haverail
Added

Blimey I've just seen the latest bid price for 55 005 on ebay and at that kind of price I might be tempted to sell one of mine, although the one I might sell is DCC ready not fitted sound, I expect the sound fitted ones will be the most popular with the best markup.

On 01/07/2022 at 10:33, MikeParkin65 said:

I thought about the 24 and I agree to a degree but I dont think of SLW as ‘mass market’. Put it this way, I think Accurascale will make Hornby and Bachmann look at their customer base and business model whereas i dont think they see SLW as a competitor. 

Ok then, Hattons 66. I don't think this Deltic is head and shoulders above that in terms of detail. Quality maybe but given Deltics are turning up with things hanging or fallen off that's something AS will be looking to improve too.

• Agree 6

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

food for thought, but off the back of the Deltic, its clear to me that should any other manufacturer think of touching a class 50, it will probably be shy in volume  to the tune of some 6-8000 or so sales of an Accurascale one should they go for it.. and think personally they should do at this stage. 
Thats a turnaround for me thinking the Hornby class 50 wasnt bad, but clearly quality is speaking louder, and I only see 3 other contenders (one which is unproven) to match that level, and price, and neither have ventured that far into modern image territory.

After that I think most high volume modern image diesels are then covered.

As for a second run of Deltics, I suspect thats inevitable, but some 92,37,31’s first please.

Do people really think a class 50 would be more popular than a class 40? Can’t see it myself.  

ps, before I get shouted at, I loved both, and spent years of my youth bashing both! Just 40s have always been more popular.

Edited by aureol40012
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Do people really think a class 50 would be more popular than a class 40? Can’t see it myself.

Tot up the number of livery/name permutations alone and one outplays the other substantially. Those are the elements that make the difference in viability.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

ps, before I get shouted at, I loved both, and spent years of my youth bashing both! Just 40s have always been more popular.

Yes - definitely. Bear in mind there is already a well regarded and relatively recent 40 on the market. 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Tot up the number of livery/name permutations alone and one outplays the other substantially. Those are the elements that make the difference in viability.

I’d be made up with either, or more so both! As has been mentioned before, the 50 is an easier and more logical jump from the 37 and Deltic. I’d also quite happily settle for spare 37 bodyshells and glazing and graft the cabs into a Bachmann, Railroad or Lima 40.

Edited by 97406

27 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Whilst I don't have the statistics, nor that it is a valid method of deciding demand, but to me the 50 does seem to come up on the wishlist threads etc on here and elsewhere quite a lot more than the 40.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Graham108 said:

I can manage the first part- it's pushing it in I can't do. Just spent another 30 futile minutes - tried tweezers, flat-headed screwdriver and even a thumb / finger to no avail. Looking at the shape of it I'm guessing it's got to go up slightly rather than straight in?

Do you have kids? 🤣

Edited by reddragon
  • Funny 3