Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

13 hours ago, 55020 said:

With 75% of my Deltic's brake chains demonstrating a reluctance to remain connected to the body, I decided to take control from random disconnects and glue the chains to the bogies.

As long as you ignore the lack of paint on the "actuator", which will be sorted after I trim off the now redundant tiny chain spigot, I think it looks not too bad.

20220705_192328.thumb.jpg.f125f4e5ca821b2c24d35e8cd76707ac.jpg

Steve

I did the same.  The loose chain shorted out on several turnouts before I realised what was happening.

Peterfgf

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Farang said:

A second run would be good news but PLEASE include the chains for the buyer to attach to the model as they are a problem.

Or as previously suggested mount them robustly on the chassis rather than the body …. They are sited in body side cut outs so can see how that might work. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Farang said:

A second run would be good news but PLEASE include the chains for the buyer to attach to the model as they are a problem.

Hi @Farang,

I can confirm that we absolutely will be addressing this on future runs! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, Farang said:

I'd be interested in a poll to determine the outcome of your request. I submit 1 vote against.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I must admit I've had a few 'ongoing issues', mainly through the superfine detailing and I occasionally have derailments, which I'm yet to define why - possibly due to my non-permanently-located trackwork as the bogies generally appear very free rotating.

Something in relation to the chains would be interesting - friction fit 'top and bottom' for example.

If only fitted to the bogies, which would be a pity, shorter chains would be required for potential shorting avoidance, as mentioned.

The more persistently-breaking-off chain - 3 times - is now staying put, so that seems to be resolved.

Al.

8 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

I'd be interested in a poll to determine the outcome of your request. I submit 1 vote against.

And me. I'd rather they were fitted as its easier to remove them if unwanted than it is to fit them if wanted.

Otherwise having them attached to the bogie in two places is a good compromise.  I have done that with 55022 whose chains seemed shorter than on the other 4 i have, and kept snapping off.  The difference is hardly noticeable but does remove any issues of them interfering with bogie movement

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 55020 said:

With 75% of my Deltic's brake chains demonstrating a reluctance to remain connected to the body, I decided to take control from random disconnects and glue the chains to the bogies.

As long as you ignore the lack of paint on the "actuator", which will be sorted after I trim off the now redundant tiny chain spigot, I think it looks not too bad.

20220705_192328.thumb.jpg.f125f4e5ca821b2c24d35e8cd76707ac.jpg

Steve

Could be a good plan Steve .  I'm going to try reattaching mine using black tack  but your approach will be plan B . Seems a shame to get rid of chains completely .  But they are infuriating - and made me realise just how bad my eyesight is ! Need to go to Specsavers 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Farang,

I can confirm that we absolutely will be addressing this on future runs! 

Cheers!

FraFran

In the meantime, to get 'em off a tiny spot of 806 does the trick while to put'em back on, a similar tiny drop of super glue works equally well. Decent specs  and instructions to your hands to stop shaking also help us old so-and-sos.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Could be a good plan Steve .  I'm going to try reattaching mine using black tack  but your approach will be plan B . Seems a shame to get rid of chains completely .  But they are infuriating - and made me realise just how bad my eyesight is ! Need to go to Specsavers 

I’m wondering if it’s possible to use ThreadLoc to attach the chains? Need something that’s firm but easily removable……

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Edna Clouds said:

In the meantime, to get 'em off a tiny spot of 806 does the trick 

But not everyone has glue debonder in the chemicals cupboard.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

If only fitted to the bogies, which would be a pity, shorter chains would be required for potential shorting avoidance, as mentioned.

I believe shorter chains would actually be be closer to scale. As currently fitted they have to be longer to allow for more bogie swing than prototype would see, so they dangle rather more than they should much of the time.  My vote goes for chains attached to the bogies at both ends which I suspect would look better for more of the time than the current arrangement.  I bet someone will do this as a mod soon anyway.

So thumbs up to Accurascale for trying, but I don't think this feature quite works.

• Agree 7

36 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I believe shorter chains would actually be be closer to scale.

I think you're correct there - image.png.5a347fb27527896aebc8ca558ee75424.png

On the real thing the chain looks like it lies on the bogie rather than hanging down - might just be the way it's been placed mind. Don't think it will look right if it's not fixed to the body though. Glad it's not me making the design / manufacture / build decision.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

So thumbs up to Accurascale for trying, but I don't think this feature quite works.

Yeah fair play to Accurascale. They've taken a huge amount of risks with this model to push the envelope and they have almost all paid off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

I think you're correct there - image.png.5a347fb27527896aebc8ca558ee75424.png

On the real thing the chain looks like it lies on the bogie rather than hanging down - might just be the way it's been placed mind. Don't think it will look right if it's not fixed to the body though. Glad it's not me making the design / manufacture / build decision.

It's probably so it doesn't break off with trainset curves or handling as the bogies can pivot more freely than the prototype.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, E100 said:

It's probably so it doesn't break off with trainset curves or handling as the bogies can pivot more freely than the prototype.

Correct. As much as we want them to be bob on, we HAVE to cater for radius 2 curvature, so have to allow play.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I've just had an Email from DHL saying "we have your parcel" with all the correct addresses and numbers - so I opened it.

image.png.67aa9dd2efbfebd5a0329ddeb74d6668.png

If I click on the "Track & divert your parcel", it goes to the DHL website and has a 13 day old pic of me accepting my 2 Deltics taken by the delivery driver!

How odd.

I wonder if DHL are trying to deliver me more Deltics? :)

Kev.

image.png

4 hours ago, newbryford said:

But not everyone has glue debonder in the chemicals cupboard.

And risk of damaging the paint finish if something spills.

I intend to use pva as its easy to remove and wont cause any damage.

Im actually surprised that the brake arm is not just a frictiom fit into tue body as AS suggested a few months ago.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I've just had an Email from DHL saying "we have your parcel" with all the correct addresses and numbers - so I opened it.

image.png.67aa9dd2efbfebd5a0329ddeb74d6668.png

If I click on the "Track & divert your parcel", it goes to the DHL website and has a 13 day old pic of me accepting my 2 Deltics taken by the delivery driver!

How odd.

I wonder if DHL are trying to deliver me more Deltics? :)

Kev.

image.png

Yeah, I got that too, heir systems don't seem to be as good as DPD or even Hermes LOL

• Funny 1

Fran et al

listening to the folks on here wanting the chains removing or placing in a bag. Surely this can be resolved without IMO resorting to removing something at the first sign of a problem. 

people forget this is your FIRST venture into building a loco and bringing it to market. 

Please DONT remove the chains and put them in a bag. Just make the connection a FRICTION FIT. that way, people can remove them if they wish and those that want the increased fidelity can enjoy them where they should be.....on the Locomotive. 

Edited by Krieghoff
spelling correction
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8

I had wondered if it were possible to make the end links metallic and use a small magnet in the body/on the bogie.  That way, they come free if pulled away but enough traction to hold them in place while running.

Maybe too expensive and/or fiddly to fit into the design?

Just a thought though...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

I had wondered if it were possible to make the end links metallic and use a small magnet in the body/on the bogie.  That way, they come free if pulled away but enough traction to hold them in place while running.

Maybe too expensive and/or fiddly to fit into the design?

Just a thought though...

Agree, I did exactly that when I fitted the chains/levers on my 7mm class 37, Neodymium magnets are tiny but incredibly strong and allow me to remove the bogie sideframes to access the body screws.

• Agree 1

Hi All,

Just a suggestion regarding the chains…..

What about a small magnet on the body side (suitably disguised) or even hidden behind the body for the chain to attach too.

Similar to magnets used on the roof for removal & installation of the DCC clip.