Mark 5, By Accurascale

I've now got the rest of the coaches out of the boxes, and run the 8 coach set on the layout.

So now I have the problem reported by many others.  Even with just 8 coaches, the magnetic couplings are not strong enough to hold the train together.

The layout is flat, no inclines, minimum radius about 2ft 6",  so quite a lot less sharp curves than any of the trainset radii.

Typically a coupling near the front of the train separates as it comes round a curve, so the extra drag of the rest of the coaches around the curve would seem to be too much.

Has anyone tried the alternative magnetic coupling offerings from Hornby or the Hunt couplings from West Hill Wagon Works, and are they likely to be any better in this respect than the Accurascale ones?

I've now done some more testing and fettling, and now I can run the 8 coach set without the train coming apart.

First I tested to see what length would work.  At 6 coaches all was well, when I added the 7th the train parted behind the first coach. So the limit seemed to be a trailing load of 5 coaches behind the magnetic coupling.  This is consistent, because my TPE set of 5 coaches runs fine without dividing.

Then I remembered an earlier post in this topic, about the moulded protrusions on the coupling faces causing a problem. Looking at them, the protrusions are so tiny, I wasn't convinced they would make any difference. Presumably they are part of the moulding process, rather than serving any practical function.

I carefully filed the faces completely flat, removing the protrusions, on the pair of couplings behind the first coach.  To my surprise, this did make a difference, now I could haul 7 coaches no problem, with a trailing load behind that coupling of 6 coaches.

I added my 8th coach, my filed coupling held and now it came apart behind the 2nd coach.  I applied the same treatment to the couplings between coaches 2 and 3,  now I can haul all 8 coaches no problem.  I will of course have to modify all the couplings, otherwise if I reform the carriages in the train, or run around it, then it will come apart again, but it's looking good.  I don't know how many more coaches the modified couplings could haul, as I only have 8 sleepers. I suppose I could test by adding some of my TPE ones behind, but that may be for another day.

It is certainly the extra drag on the curves that causes the couplings to part.  With my 2' 6" radius curves, the unmodified couplings could manage a maximum of 5 trailing coaches behind the coupling. If your curves are sharper or more gentle than that, your limit might be less or more coaches.

I wonder if the preproduction couplings Accurascale used for testing didn't have these moulding protrusions?

• Informative/Useful 3

I've been testing my CS versions following the article above as I had the same problem. As I was looking at them I realised one coach out of my 6 has the light on the side illuminated when the carriage lights are on. So do I have one that's working correctly and 5 not, or 5 right and this one needing some attention to 'black' it out?

I also thought at first that the lights in the 3 sleeper coaches weren't working at all, until I turned the coaches round so I could see the other side!

MK5 light.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I know its been a wee while since I posted on this forum but I recently got the TPE Mk5 Pack 1 and I have noticed that the lights on the cab car are "reversed" and I use analogue for the time being. Are there any switches to change to make these run correctly? Or would I need to upgrade to DCC? DSC04962.JPG.2034adca92888d6d37a87a2d1f5f2897.JPG

I am happy to post a video of the issue. But I am glad I get myself this pack as its amazing and I respect Accurascale for making superb models at decent prices. I am glad to be back into OO gauge after doing a year of N scale and HO scale American trains. 

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, RHF9019 said:

In the light of yesterday's statement from TPE, is there any possibility of a second run of the TPE Mk5a sets?

With authentic NOT IN SERVICE and SORRY, THIS TRAIN TERMINATES HERE DUE TO A SHORT NOTICE CHANGE TO THE TIMETABLE destination boards? 😉

• Funny 2

Just now, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

That TPE are withdrawing the sets from eastern services to Scarborough? or is there a even more money wasting excising like total withdrawal?

Total withdrawal on their network (for now) to simplify things. New MD currently sorting the 💩show out. 

• Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Tiny151 said:

As this topic is active again, was the promised guide on tackling light flicker ever shared? Apologies if I've missed a post somewhere.

I'm yet to see a DIY fix, but my DT was sent to Accurascale's warranty department and it eventually returned working absolutely fine. I've since fitted a stay alive too which vastly improves it. 

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2023 at 18:10, BritishRail60062 said:

I know its been a wee while since I posted on this forum but I recently got the TPE Mk5 Pack 1 and I have noticed that the lights on the cab car are "reversed" and I use analogue for the time being. Are there any switches to change to make these run correctly? Or would I need to upgrade to DCC? DSC04962.JPG.2034adca92888d6d37a87a2d1f5f2897.JPG

I am happy to post a video of the issue. But I am glad I get myself this pack as its amazing and I respect Accurascale for making superb models at decent prices. I am glad to be back into OO gauge after doing a year of N scale and HO scale American trains. 

They're supposed to be reversed so they will run correctly push-pull with a class 68. The class 68 is the front so the driving trailer shows red lights running forwards and white running reverse. I don’t think there are any switches to alter that. You’d either need to carefully rewire it, or use DCC. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Reports elsewhere suggest the end of TPE mk5 ops with class 68’s is nigh in December.

Nothing definite yet, TPE have stated they want to get rid of them at the December TT change. This has yet to be agreed  by Rail North Partnership.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 26/08/2023 at 10:07, JackB95 said:

Total withdrawal on their network (for now) to simplify things. New MD currently sorting the 💩show out. 

Total withdraw wow ! I assume DRS and the MK5 rosco will still want the contractual lease payments until the end of the lease. They could of been a very nice product if they’d not been totally mismanaged from day one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

They could of been a very nice product if they’d not been totally mismanaged from day one

That said, in hindsight they'd have been better off ordering more 802s. My understanding was the CAF stuff was ordered due to Hitachi's inability to deliver enough units in time, but CAF were late anyway and so they ended up with 3 new fleets that could have been one. 

Willing to be corrected if I am wrong with my thinking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That said, in hindsight they'd have been better off ordering more 802s. My understanding was the CAF stuff was ordered due to Hitachi's inability to deliver enough units in time, but CAF were late anyway and so they ended up with 3 new fleets that could have been one. 

You’re correct. The MK5’s were designed as a simple quickly deployable option at least a full year ahead of when 802’s were to be introduced because of supply issues and the pressure to introduce the ill-fated May 2018 timetable. Indeed they were planned to come to Newcastle initially.

From riding on them I found them extremely pleasant in both classes and a crying shame that not more has been made of them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Sounds like the Modernisation Plan all over again <sigh>

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

When they announced three types of Nova I was myself surprised when one train could have done all those functions and been capable of swapping routes quickly due to driver familiarity.  They could potentially have used Mk4s and 67s, but luckily for LNER they didn't otherwise they would have been without them after the cracking issues on the IEPs.  Wonder if there were any Mk3 sets they could have leased?

But equally the pressure was on to expand services with new trains to replace those 350s and 185s, the latter of which are still a big player in their fleet now.  How the world has changed since they bid, all about contraction and cost saving now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

There was a franchise commitment to get loco hauled stock I recall. That's why they ran a 68 and mk3 set on 30th December 2017. 

That said, the mk3s fell through because of complaints over lack of disability compliancy.

It's been a complete farce, and they could've had a uniform fleet of 802s across the whole network. But as you said, I think it was down to delay times that they couldn't get enough in time. CAF are awful and shouldn't be allowed to build trains. They look smart, but are shocking in quality. Stadler, however... now you're talking 🤤 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Fingers X the Mk5s get picked up by someone else. Would be good for us modellers and Accurascale if they could get a new livery and another run of the models.  

And another new livery for 68s...........

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Wonder if we could see them replace the Scotrail Inter7city HST sets??

Would be nice but I don't think theres actually enough Mk5 sets to replace all the HST sets.