Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2023 at 19:15, JackB95 said:

It's been a complete farce, and they could've had a uniform fleet of 802s across the whole network. But as you said, I think it was down to delay times that they couldn't get enough in time. CAF are awful and shouldn't be allowed to build trains. They look smart, but are shocking in quality. Stadler, however... now you're talking 🤤 

I spoke to a TPE train manager in Liverpool a few years ago, and we were talking about the CAF Mk5’s.  He said they were plagued with electrical problems and suffering from cracking, and that CAF Spain wouldn’t talk to CAF Newport to sort the problems out, that’s why they went to Wolverton to be sorted, and they duly charged the leasing company for the remedial work.

From what I gather, it’s a bit like the APT back in the 80’s, they have finally managed to get the problems sorted and TPE have thrown the towel in, which is hardly surprising considering.  I’m sure the TPE will now place an order for more Class 802’s to replace the Mk5’s and possibly the 185’s, and the Mk5’s will probably get moved onto another TOC or possibly Europe.  Be nice to see them on the Pompey - Cardiff’s, but that’s just wishful thinking 🤔

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2023 at 22:27, jools1959 said:

I spoke to a TPE train manager in Liverpool a few years ago, and we were talking about the CAF Mk5’s.  He said they were plagued with electrical problems and suffering from cracking, and that CAF Spain wouldn’t talk to CAF Newport to sort the problems out, that’s why they went to Wolverton to be sorted, and they duly charged the leasing company for the remedial work.

From what I gather, it’s a bit like the APT back in the 80’s, they have finally managed to get the problems sorted and TPE have thrown the towel in, which is hardly surprising considering.  I’m sure the TPE will now place an order for more Class 802’s to replace the Mk5’s and possibly the 185’s, and the Mk5’s will probably get moved onto another TOC or possibly Europe.  Be nice to see them on the Pompey - Cardiff’s, but that’s just wishful thinking 🤔

Not sure about Europe, but a 5 car rake of 16 modern high speed aircon stock that just needs compatible traction mods may be perfect for many countries around the world that offer shoter distance, or low frequency or less intensive routes…

Israel comes to mind, as would Turkey, Egypt, Balkans...

I dont think it would be hard to find a country to take them, and if the roscos are feeling a bit shafted by the dft, exporting it beyond the dfts range, rather than paying to wait may make a lot more sense. That way they can fleece the dft later on the next new stock.

Indeed i’m surprised the. 379’s have not found an overseas home yet either, though South Africa initially fell through, I suppose it may still yet return as a project once fundings agreed.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

If they don't get a second operator in the UK, I feel sorry for Accurascale who will have ended up putting a significant investment into a short lived prototype. I appreciate that some of the development (and tooling?) costs would be shared with the Sleeper Mk5s.

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

If they don't get a second operator in the UK, I feel sorry for Accurascale who will have ended up putting a significant investment into a short lived prototype. I appreciate that some of the development (and tooling?) costs would be shared with the Sleeper Mk5s.

Whilst I share the sentiment, I expect the run that took place will have paid for itself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst I share the sentiment, I expect the run that took place will have paid for itself.

I also wouldn't rule out another small run either. They are/were very popular with the modern enthusiast and could be seen behind more than just a 68 on their many ECS moves.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've had some occasional derailing of one carriage, resolved simply by making the bogie 'more compliant' - slackening off a little.

Might have been the same one, but one started to have lighting issues a week later - resolved by removing the bogies and arching the contact strips on the bogies - all good now.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 01/10/2023 at 09:39, Tony Walker said:

Oh well, it's time to pop my rake of mk5's into storage, courtesy of 37608, befitting, I think. Here's a short video of them being taken away.

That's one of the things I am going to be using my 608 for (when it comes back). Given the units and barrier coaches it regularly pulls aren't available in RTR, the most relevant things that are available are RHTT wagons (did a turn with 419 last year IIRC) and mk5s which it has been to Scarborough at least once for (can't remember if a 68 was in with it too, 510 picked a 68/mk5 set up yesterday from Scarborough). Although it might have been 608 that was tugging a Castle HST set about too last week, getting one so it can be pulled on the model might be awkward.

• Like 2

Maybe a decoder to correctly operate the lights etc as well. Would be a nice surprise in light of the mention several months ago of a 'fix'. 
not being picky but it would be good for Accurascale to sort something on this on particularly if they do another smaller production run. 🙏👍👍

• Agree 4

On 06/09/2023 at 13:26, adb968008 said:

Not sure about Europe, but a 5 car rake of 16 modern high speed aircon stock that just needs compatible traction mods may be perfect for many countries around the world that offer shoter distance, or low frequency or less intensive routes…

Israel comes to mind, as would Turkey, Egypt, Balkans...

I dont think it would be hard to find a country to take them, and if the roscos are feeling a bit shafted by the dft, exporting it beyond the dfts range, rather than paying to wait may make a lot more sense. That way they can fleece the dft later on the next new stock.

Indeed i’m surprised the. 379’s have not found an overseas home yet either, though South Africa initially fell through, I suppose it may still yet return as a project once fundings agreed.

Actually, Israel Railways' stated policy is to quickly (by the end of 2025) transfer to a full double-deck* operation, with trains as long as platforms permit. Most platforms in the 69 open passenger stations are being lengthened to 355m. This policy includes withdrawing all pure-single-deck vehicles, including IC3 DMUs, Spanish-built push-pull trains and even 2008-2010-vintage Siemens push-pull carriages.

* - The Siemens Desiro HC EMUs currently being procured in large numbers are actually mixed, with the end driving and power cars being single-deck, though they are officially referred to here as "DDEMU".Siemens_Desiro_HC_Over_Ayalon_valley_rai .

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Chen Melling said:

Actually, Israel Railways' stated policy is to quickly (by the end of 2025) transfer to a full double-deck* operation, with trains as long as platforms permit. Most platforms in the 69 open passenger stations are being lengthened to 355m. This policy includes withdrawing all pure-single-deck vehicles, including IC3 DMUs, Spanish-built push-pull trains and even 2008-2010-vintage Siemens push-pull carriages.

* - The Siemens Desiro HC EMUs currently being procured in large numbers are actually mixed, with the end driving and power cars being single-deck, though they are officially referred to here as "DDEMU".Siemens_Desiro_HC_Over_Ayalon_valley_rai .

Is that viaduct the line to Jerusalem ?

fantastic views on that line, and despite the clime, on arrival going from platform to surface was like ascending from the centre of the earth its hundreds of metres deep !

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Is that viaduct the line to Jerusalem ?

fantastic views on that line, and despite the clime, on arrival going from platform to surface was like ascending from the centre of the earth its hundreds of metres deep !

Indeed, this is the longest viaduct on the new line to Jerusalem, called "Bridge No. 6". It is the longest bridge in Israel, at c. 1200m. 
The highest bridge in Israel is on the same line, Bridge No. 10, where the track is at c. 90m above ground in the highest point.
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/גשר_הרכבת_מעל_עמק_הארזים#/media/קובץ:Arazim_Train_Bridge_3.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just looked up Jerusalem station.. 80m underground, deepest heavy rail station in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem–Yitzhak_Navon_railway_station

Photo taken of an Airport bound service 80m below ground inside a mountain that sits at an 815m above sea level elevation, from a service which started in Tel Aviv at sea level in 35miles.
34E77390-6986-422C-87D8-F9B7FADB642D.jpeg.946fff1d32ad00e108f19217200db7a9.jpeg

and the line rides like a Swiss built line.. not a hint of vibration!

I always wondered if the 67’s may have moved to Israel as thet have a Euro spec of the same. The mk5’s would definitely fit this network, but if its going double deck I guess not.

23 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I always wondered if the 67’s may have moved to Israel as thet have a Euro spec of the same. The mk5’s would definitely fit this network, but if its going double deck I guess not.

Israel Railways is also going electric, with almost the entire passenger-carrying network to be electrified within 2-3 years (though the current war may very well affect that) so it plans to have dozens of redundant EMD-powered 67-cousins already next year. 

The only use I can think of for the Mark 5As in Israel would be on the old line to Jerusalem, where European-length carriages just can't go over the curves. However, this has been closed and will likely to converted to a trail, unless somehow our Transportation Ministry or IR itself comes back to their senses.

• 1 month later...

To add to the collection of 'stuff that's dragged Mk5A coaches', Freightliner's 66523 rescued 68029 this morning at Gorton and took it to Stalybridge where LSL's 37521 turned up to continue the move to Longsight after FL wanted their engine back.

Photo by jb_04_ on Instagram

image.png.4eaa1bcc5c1fdfe2c433d140f3c17c6e.png

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, JackB95 said:

To add to the collection of 'stuff that's dragged Mk5A coaches', Freightliner's 66523 rescued 68029 this morning at Gorton and took it to Stalybridge where LSL's 37521 turned up to continue the move to Longsight after FL wanted their engine back.

ooh look Network Rail found a use for the Castlefield curve to get directly from Stalybridge to Lonsight without a reversal.

Money well spent then 🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/10/2023 at 20:50, Krieghoff said:

Maybe a decoder to correctly operate the lights etc as well. Would be a nice surprise in light of the mention several months ago of a 'fix'. 
not being picky but it would be good for Accurascale to sort something on this on particularly if they do another smaller production run. 🙏👍👍

It would be great of Accurascale were to do another production run of the Caledonian sleepers. They were sold out so quickly, and I have found something to go with my 92 (video below), but the coaches must still be in demand. Quite a few are coming up on Ebay right now at big mark ups. Do these people know something such as 'off load them before an announcement'.

Of course, the very slightest of improvements would be welcome. The lighting could have random illumination in some of the sleeper compartments (right now sleeper lighting is only in the corridors).

Edited by zr2498
Forgot the video!!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @zr2498,

I can confirm that there will be another run of the Mark 5s in the future, particularly the sleepers.

Cheers!

Fran 

Preferably with a New Caledonian sleeper 92 to match ;)

depending on the budget at the time. I’d certainly love to get a full sleeper set. Despite it technically being out of region. Just hope the factory get the back to backs on the wheels a bit more accurate next time now they’ve had some practice!

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @zr2498,

I can confirm that there will be another run of the Mark 5s in the future, particularly the sleepers.

Cheers!

Fran 

Fran, thanks very much for this news. It has enabled some decision making - not going on the alternative route. I am sure they will be worth the wait 🙂

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if I can justify a full Mk5 sleeper, either the highland or lowlander sets, with a Class 92 for my Cumbrian Coast layout, being dragged by a pair of Accurascale Class 37/4's (yeah right lol).  I think @Accurascale Fran, @Accurascale, @McC and the rest of the Accurascale team would just about wet themselves from laughter at the thought

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @zr2498,

Cheers!

Fran 

And a matching 73/9 announced at Glasgow??

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1