SWAG Members Day - Sunday 28th April 2019 - The Line Up

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks to Aidan and Peter for sorting the charity donations.

£229.60 from the Bring and Buy and £187.19 from the kitchen which makes a wonderful £416.79

Macmillan.jpg

We've all lost friends and family to cancer so it's a small way of supporting people in need.

Brilliant result, thanks to all who brought & bought both railway items and cakes.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased that I made the journey for my first SWAG meeting with Mick Bonwick. What a wonderful event. I enjoyed chatting with many good folk who I had not met before but felt I knew from somewhere (still can't think where) and a few others who I'd already had the pleasure of making acquaintance but hadn't seen in a while.

All the exhibits and demonstrations were interesting. The two steel themed layouts brought back early career memories from Appleby Frodingham and Sandy Shores was charming.

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in the organising, exhibiting, demonstrating and catering, you are all truly wonderful people for giving your time for the enjoyment of others.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, marc smith said:

.... and of course, I kept distracting you & getting in your way.... ;)
I still didn't manage to bag a 2nd one myself though :(

You'll get a free one next year Marc, if you bring a layout of course.  (Hint, hint).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for a very enjoyable day  - very glad to have made the effort to drive down, with Messrs Smith and Wenlock along for company. And we didn't even have to pay a re-admittance fee back into South Wales!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Once again, a marvellous day and for me it still is the best event of the year.

It's always great to see and catch up with old friends and make new.  All the exhibits were absolutely superb as were the demonstrations and just wish I had more time.

As well as a big thank you to all organisers and attendees, I must especially thank @devonseasider(Graham) and @Godfrey Glyn for all the help they gave on the Bring & Buy Stall, I could not have managed without them and of course @peter220950who supplied me with copious amounts of tea.

Looking forward to next year already.

Cheers,

Aidan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 07:11, nickwood said:

I admire high achievers, talented individuals and successful teamwork. I maintain balance by supporting Scunthorpe United FC

Matey, I feel your pain.

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have just got to try and get to this next year. Those layouts just look marvellous. The company is exclusive. The railway down the road is good for a few track miles and if there were to be some GF pasties and cake, (that I could actually supply I suppose?) it would be a jolly few days out. Certainly better than a freezing and futile 90 minutes at The Keepmoat, Colin?  Hey ho.

Duck of doom @ 36E

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Rest assured, Von Duck, a warm welcome awaits should you be able to waddle down.

Amongst many others, I would be very pleased to see you.

Sheepbloke

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Earlier, at the Bring & Buy, I was just contemplating that you have to get up very early indeed if you are going to beat Brinkly to the chocolate biscuits Mitchell 44XX kits.

I can sense a small prairie at 50 paces! ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

34 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I can sense a small prairie at 50 paces! ;)

Ready when you are ! 

Yours

44xx ( Big one ) :laugh_mini:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2019 at 19:52, NHY 581 said:

Bleat Wharf saw some wonderful motive power including a superbly weathered D600 Warship

I can only offer my apologies for the image quality of that visit.  I am still getting to grips with the new RMweb set-up as regards images.  Those I uploaded were off the iPhone; there may be better ones from the DSLR in due course and hopefully not foul of the 10mb limit which would require a re-size.

Muz's cakeism, which I am sure is some form of religion, saw me more than amply catered for all the way home despite GWR's inability to offer any form of refreshment service on their trains.  

I intend to be back next year.  Early Risers will be aware that all isn't too well with SWMBO for now though we have no way of knowing how things might go across the next 12 months.  But circumstances permitting I shall be back and possibly with something a little more substantial than a single locomotive.  Even if it was thought "superbly weathered". Thank you all once again.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have just got to try and get to this next year. Those layouts just look marvellous. The company is exclusive. The railway down the road is good for a few track miles and if there were to be some GF pasties and cake, (that I could actually supply I suppose?) it would be a jolly few days out. Certainly better than a freezing and futile 90 minutes at The Keepmoat, Colin?  Hey ho.

Duck of doom @ 36E

Me too, just need to get my act together and organise the logistics in good time next year. 

Model railways, the real thing, pasties and cakes sounds brilliant. As with yourself, far better than the 90 minutes I endured at the Gateshead International Stadium this weekend.....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

What can I add that hasn't already been said.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has helped with the event - despite all the compliments, it's certainly just not me (see Andy's post 5 up ).

Thanks also to those who brought some fabulous layouts and demos - despite my c*cking up the floor plan on the day, it all fitted and there was plenty of room.

Thanks also to Peter & Brian for the retail therapy stalls, both hopefully will return next year.

Next year's list of layouts is already in hand, and mostly full - and I think it will match this year's list in variety and quality.

I just need to decide whether to bring the PSMT next year...

Ooh, that might tempt me to pay a consular visit...

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just enjoyed looking at the photo's of the day, looks like you all had a great time, the class 33 on Bleat Wharf looks great. Looks definitely worth planning a visit next year.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Splendid stuff Andy. 

Bleat Wharf has never looked......or sounded better......!!!

Thank you. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks to Aidan and Peter for sorting the charity donations.

£229.60 from the Bring and Buy and £187.19 from the kitchen which makes a wonderful £416.79

The total raised has now increased to £500 thanks to a very generous further donation overnight. I shan't name him unless he wishes me to do so but we're very grateful for it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, I had a fab time as well, non-stop yakking to chums old and new, just brilliant.

I'd also like to say that, despite all the ribbing and joking, Mr Chris Spam-u-Like is building something very special in 7mm and I was very impressed with the buildings he brought along. I did like the fact that he's building the layout in both 'O' gauge and 'T' gauge - this could be the start of a new trend.

Thank you Herr Kapitan for the kind comments, really enjoyed talking to you and many others throughout the day. I think though I spent more time demonstrating cake and pasty eating than cutting plasticard. 

When Pencarrow is operational I may have to decline your offer of help as an operator... I was somewhat troubled by the 6 loco consist you put together on the ACE, with added brakevan, on my 1:435 mock up. Glad it brought you so much joy though. :P It's the perfect little layout to take to shows IMO.

462487171_rps20170806_210208(1).jpg.7a27d3dd2d75b277c71fdf52650a753e.jpg

Good to see our highly informative joint peice to Phil's camera received the appropriate treatment in Andy's video...

• Like 8