Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

My LMS 7120 arrived this morning. Definitely a massive step up from my old Lima model.

It was a little hesitant starting at first, but much happier after a little bit of running in.

I presume the lack of front/back lighting is correct for this model in its as-built form, with lamp-irons provided instead. (Photos suggest that in preservation it has acquired top headlamps).
Bit cheeky that it's the same price as the light-fitted ones... I haven't checked under the body yet to see if the gubbins are there.

Very tempted to get 7128 to go with it, does anyone know if that has front/rear lighting?
The ordering page isn't massively clear as it (and the manual) state 'Working exterior lights' against all versions.
The main picture is side on, but the 'group photo' at the top looks like there's a light just above the buffer beam that isn't present on my 7120..

IMG_20240205_234733.jpg.595c75a345e19e8680e89161207cdbe2.jpg

IMG_20240205_234638.jpg.b610fd780a51e82bf98803f57a61f24d.jpg

Edited by LittleRedTrain
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Bit cheeky that it's the same price as the light-fitted ones... I haven't checked under the body yet to see if the gubbins are there.

Heljan has form - their unpowered Class 25 'Ethels' are the same price as the powered models!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Heljan has form - their unpowered Class 25 'Ethels' are the same price as the powered models!

True, although in this instance you have to consider the fact this is a commission rather than an in house model. The economics are not the same, and profit margins are tighter.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

My LMS 7120 arrived this morning. Definitely a massive step up from my old Lima model.

It was a little hesitant starting at first, but much happier after a little bit of running in.

I presume the lack of front/back lighting is correct for this model in its as-built form, with lamp-irons provided instead. (Photos suggest that in preservation it has acquired top headlamps).

Very tempted to get 7128 to go with it, does anyone know if that has front/rear lighting?
The ordering page isn't massively clear as it (and the manual) state 'Working exterior lights' against all versions.
The main picture is side on, but the 'group photo' at the top looks like there's a light just above the buffer beam that isn't present on my 7120..

LMS 7120 was unfortunately not preserved. 7120 was withdrawn on the 25/01/1969 and cut up at Cashmore's (Great Bridge) in May 1970. The '7120' seen at the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway in a photo from around 2002 is in fact the War Department example WD 70272/AD 601 (aka 878 Basra from the LMR). Unfortunately the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway don't help by claiming their Class 11 is LMS 7120 when infact this isn't the case.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/02/2024 at 23:56, LittleRedTrain said:

In Modern Locomotives Illustrated 217 it is stated "From new, electric, front and rear marker lights were installed, which were fitted with a white element over which a red shage could bne adfded for rear end use"  This photo of a line of them with the rear of 7130 visible shows such lights were completely different to those used later by BR

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrsalt661.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2024 at 23:56, LittleRedTrain said:

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

In Modern Locomotives Illustrated 217 it is stated "From new, electric, front and rear marker lights were installed, which were fitted with a white element over which a red shage could bne adfded for rear end use"  This photo of a line of them with the rear of 7130 visible shows such lights were completely different to those used later by BR

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrsalt661.htm

Maybe not..........

From British Rail Fleet Survey No.7 by Brian Haresnape. 

7120 as built. 20240207_152431-01.jpeg.30d84392defe998bbfd08444396c7443.jpeg

Rob.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, LittleRedTrain said:

The plot thickens...

As the Bachmann announcements had nothing 'must buy' for me, I've stuck an order in for 7128, and according to Kernow, it's already dispatched, so will report back when it arrives!

Ditto 7120 - LMS pre-war black - also reported as dispatched....

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, I should have my Waspy BR Green example tomorrow, according to the email from Royal Mail. 

I shall report back as appropriate. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, I should have my Waspy BR Green example tomorrow, according to the email from Royal Mail. 

I shall report back as appropriate. 

Rob. 

Please do....I just need to decide if an 08 sound project will pass muster for an 11 - does anyone know if the prime movers are the same..?

ChrisH

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Please do....I just need to decide if an 08 sound project will pass muster for an 11 - does anyone know if the prime movers are the same..?

ChrisH

Should do, Chris. 

The LMS jobs look to have been fitted with the English Electric 6KT engine, same as production 08s. 

Rob

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

ChrisH

The engine, main generator and traction motors in the Class 11 are identical to the Class 08 so an 08 sound project looks like it would work

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Should do, Chris. 

The LMS jobs look to have been fitted with the English Electric 6KT engine, same as production 08s. 

Rob

well - I like the Digitrains Zimos...thank you..

Chris H

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The engine, main generator and traction motors in the Class 11 are identical to the Class 08 so an 08 sound project looks like it would work

well - for a second time - I like the Digitrains Zimos...thank you Andy....I have a plan...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

From what others have posted here, the class 11 model looks very good. I was waiting to see how it came out before I committed to buying a class 12, and I am convinced already. However, Model Rail haven't actually put the class 12s on the website yet. Well, at least I know I want to order one when they do announce them properly. I don't want or need a class 11, though, nice as they are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Does anyone know hat is the thing on the cover plate of the fuel tank is? I don't know if they all had it but 12099 should have one, but it isn't on the model.

cl11fuel.jpg.cc448c33fe7f24dd446b7ff9c2476b83.jpg

12099 in orange should have a ladder on the front at the right hand side only but mine hasn't and there isn't a ladder in the bag of parts to be fitted by the purchaser. Can someone please tell me if the others have ladders already fitted, or if the ladders come in the bag.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like they're spot on with 7128 regarding the lighting.....

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrsalt988.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrsalt114.htm

So 7120 is as built and 7128 is circa 1948. 

Rob

• Informative/Useful 4

Re what lights are fitted the descriptions on the Model Rail Offers web page now, if not previoiusly, list working exterior lights for all models bar

MR-501 70271 - War Department olive green

MR-502 878 Basra - Longmoor Military Railway

MR-503 7120 - LMS pre-war black

MR-504 7128 - LMS post-war black  (which seems to an error from the photos above)

MR-506 15101 - BR WR Green

MR-507 15106 - BR WR Green WEATHERED does have exterior lights

Anyone have MR-509 12131 - BR Black - WEATHERED ?  Wondered how weathered it is as its only one otherwise passable as a genuine preserved loco

Edited by Butler Henderson
Correction
  • Like 1

My 7120 has just arrived. On opening I noticed a hole in the plastic cover over the loco by the whistle. Unrolled it out and sure enough a stump where a whistle should be. I'm going to search through the packaging to see if the whistle is in there somewhere to reattach, otherwise a return might have to happen. It will be getting run tomorrow.

Neil.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, meatloaf said:

The WR Green British Railways ones, ones listed as exterior lights on the weathered version, but the unweathered one says internal only.

Thanks corrected my posting. In Modern Locos Illustrated 217 theres a picture of 15105 in very filthy green still with the fully worded British Railways legible on it taken in 1957 with exteror lights added, while a 1948 photo of 15101 in the same livery (albeit cleaner) is relying on oil lamps.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After much procrastinating I've ordered a black early BR version which I intend to re-livery for NCB use, fictional of course. A black Gronk just looks right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1