Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Bear in mind - there have been thousands of them made, and we've read about a very small number having issues, the vast majority of which the person has said the support on it has been superb. 

Quite!  Mine's flawless, toss-up between that and the Cavalex 56 for favourite blue diesel in my life to date👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Fran or Stephen,

I will post this here so others are aware or interested.

If I replace the 4ohm speaker in the AS Class 37 with an 8ohm speaker will this invalidate the warranty?

I'll try to keep this short but I have 4 AS Class 37's (with more coming) that all suffer a certain degree of crackle or distortion with the sound when using the out of the box sound volumes and is particularly evident when using the horns, interestingly my 608 & 610 sound lighter and/or muffled compared to my 419 & 425 which are crisper and louder but not without issues.

Fortunately I have a Lokprogrammer where I have adjusted the master sound volumes, bass/treble and individual sound slot volumes especially concerning the High Tone & Low Tone air horns to get over this but to be honest I shouldn't have to do this and for comparison these are a step behind the Cavalex 56 (which I have 4) when it comes to out of the box sound crispness and solidness at high volumes, to me they are the best sounding loco on the market atm and the benchmark.

Anyway, I have seen a lot of research done on the web in regards to these speakers and other customers with the same issues and to resolve these issues with sound crackle and/or distortion it all leads to changing the speaker from the supplied 4ohm to the new ESU 8ohm or equivalent and evidence suggest this is the way forward based on how the speaker arrangement is wired from the factory.

If you can advise on the above that will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't aware of the lifetime warranty which is good news, as is the excellence of AS support.  However, I hope that by converting the model to P4 I don't invalidate the warranty - presumably I won't if I use AS own "drop-in" P4 wheelsets?. In any event I'm heartened by what the above posters say and look forward to receiving my hopefully flaw free model in due course.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Torper said:

I've got one of the latest batch of 37s on pre-order and anticipate receiving it in the next couple of months or so. However in view of all the comments about problems of one type or another that so many people appear to have experienced with their 37s I'm rather beginning to regret it. I only hope that steps will have been taken to ensure that the problems encountered in previous batches will have been recognised and resolved in the latest batch.

i had issues with both my 37s,  but that did not stop me pre ordering a colas 37,  or load of 66s etc,  you wont regret it,   they are lovely runners and are stunning models   

Without me trawling back through about a million posts to find the answer but has anyone altered the CVs so these 37s start to move off at a slower speed rather than jumping forward? I find that on 128 speed steps I’m up to 9 before they move and then I immediately dial back. Just hoping there’s a simple fix. 
Sorry if this has been covered up stream but there are a lot of pages to look back through.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Without me trawling back through about a million posts to find the answer but has anyone altered the CVs so these 37s start to move off at a slower speed rather than jumping forward? I find that on 128 speed steps I’m up to 9 before they move and then I immediately dial back. Just hoping there’s a simple fix. 
Sorry if this has been covered up stream but there are a lot of pages to look back through.

Thanks

There's a few options detailed in this thread.

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Bear in mind - there have been thousands of them made, and we've read about a very small number having issues, the vast majority of which the person has said the support on it has been superb. 

Yep, no one really comes to RMWeb to complain if their model works fine or outstanding.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Plus the Bachmann 37 whilst good in its own right, has its own share of issues with wires coming away from the pickups and jumper sockets from the PCBs. I’ll still buy 37s from both manufacturers as none of the issues are insurmountable, though I’ll take advantage of the lifetime warranty if any of my AS 37s need some TLC.

Speaking purely from my own experience I have 3 37's, 1 Accurascale, 2 Bachmann. All factory sound fitted.

All put into 'service' at the same time and used interchangeably on a small attic layout that  includes a continuous run.

Accurascale model failed with the previously mentioned 'motor issue'  - symptom being sudden slow downs after a period of steady running that then deteriorated into a permanent slowdown with, if the AMP meter on the NCE Powercab is to be believed a high power demand. 

Sent back to Accurascale towers. I must say that initially at least the support was a little defensive  - I was surprised to be asked to provide video 'proof' of the problem. Its not like any of us actually want the hassle of sending these things out in the post is it?

Also as per comments above, before the Accurascale model failed it would move off at an imperceptible crawl with the sound off. With the sound on its speed step 10 and the drivers tea in his lap as it shoots off or nothing!.

Both Bachmann versions faultless so far and DCC control perfect from the box. 

Not trying to reignite or stoke anything by these comments - just plain honest feedback. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Speaking purely from my own experience I have 3 37's, 1 Accurascale, 2 Bachmann. All factory sound fitted.

All put into 'service' at the same time and used interchangeably on a small attic layout that  includes a continuous run.

Accurascale model failed with the previously mentioned 'motor issue'  - symptom being sudden slow downs after a period of steady running that then deteriorated into a permanent slowdown with, if the AMP meter on the NCE Powercab is to be believed a high power demand. 

Sent back to Accurascale towers. I must say that initially at least the support was a little defensive  - I was surprised to be asked to provide video 'proof' of the problem. Its not like any of us actually want the hassle of sending these things out in the post is it?

Also as per comments above, before the Accurascale model failed it would move off at an imperceptible crawl with the sound off. With the sound on its speed step 10 and the drivers tea in his lap as it shoots off or nothing!.

Both Bachmann versions faultless so far and DCC control perfect from the box. 

Not trying to reignite or stoke anything by these comments - just plain honest feedback. 

Hi Mike,

It is not defensiveness, it just allows our tech team to get an idea of the issue so they can suggest remedies such a tweaking switches, CVs or indeed sending the loco back. Seeing the loco in operation on the end users layout in its environment answers a million more questions than a back and forth via email or chat. At the end of the day, "a picture says a million words" and our aim is to get your matter resolved ASAP. This is the reason why we ask for video footage of the problem. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torper said:

I wasn't aware of the lifetime warranty which is good news, as is the excellence of AS support.  However, I hope that by converting the model to P4 I don't invalidate the warranty - presumably I won't if I use AS own "drop-in" P4 wheelsets?. In any event I'm heartened by what the above posters say and look forward to receiving my hopefully flaw free model in due course.

Hi @Torper,

Rewheeling to -P4 using our drop in wheelsets does not invalidate the warranty.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

It is not defensiveness, it just allows our tech team to get an idea of the issue so they can suggest remedies such a tweaking switches, CVs or indeed sending the loco back. Seeing the loco in operation on the end users layout in its environment answers a million more questions than a back and forth via email or chat. At the end of the day, "a picture says a million words" and our aim is to get your matter resolved ASAP. This is the reason why we ask for video footage of the problem. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Afternoon Fran  - it didnt read like that to me as recipient to be honest.

This is how the request for video was justified by support  ' Its so we can see it moving slowly as we have had several models sent to us to have issues resolved and when its arrived in the workshop it has worked fine.'

The mythical modeler who apparently enjoys sending £270 models back in the post just for the hell of it will presumably just film their loco running dead slow anyway?

5 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

This is how the request for video was justified by support  ' Its so we can see it moving slowly as we have had several models sent to us to have issues resolved and when its arrived in the workshop it has worked fine.'

The mythical modeler who apparently enjoys sending £270 models back in the post just for the hell of it will presumably just film their loco running dead slow anyway?

when i do my videos i always make sure i have the DCC controller  in as well so they know how much power i have it on,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I work in IT support and we always ask for screenshots of issues and error messages. A user can try to describe an issue or error all you like. Seeing an image of it allows myself and other IT professionals to pick out other things in the error.

Therefore, seeing a video of the issue will do the same thing here. AS support will spot things that they may have seen on others. Thereby they will know much better what the cause of the problem is and find the resolution faster.

Trust me, asking end user questions isn't any sort of delaying tactic. It's to find the cause and resolve the problem ad quickly as possible.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

I work in IT support and we always ask for screenshots of issues and error messages. A user can try to describe an issue or error all you like. Seeing an image of it allows myself and other IT professionals to pick out other things in the error.

Therefore, seeing a video of the issue will do the same thing here. AS support will spot things that they may have seen on others. Thereby they will know much better what the cause of the problem is and find the resolution faster.

Trust me, asking end user questions isn't any sort of delaying tactic. It's to find the cause and resolve the problem ad quickly as possible.

have you tried turning it on and off again.

sorry couldn't resist i have watched the IT crowd :D

• Funny 5

17 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

have you tried turning it on and off again.

sorry couldn't resist i have watched the IT crowd :D

You will be surprised how many people don't actually know how to turn devices off and on again. Therefore doing so actually works.

I will say again that I had no issues with AS support. If you don’t hear from them then just respond and ask for an update. Doing so will flag your case up to them and they will quickly get back to you.

Communication from both parties leads to quick resolutions. 😁

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

You will be surprised how many people don't actually know how to turn devices off and on again. Therefore doing so actually works.

i can very well believe that 🙂

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

I will say again that I had no issues with AS support. If you don’t hear from them then just respond and ask for an update. Doing so will flag your case up to them and they will quickly get back to you.

I get several emails or messages each week : I can't get on the site/login. I know there's not much point in asking for a screenshot or even a lucid explanation. I may as well just jump to the end point "Did you keep the box it came in?".

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

What is the point of this post and how do you think it helps? I am genuinely interested in how you think it helps, especially given much of it is demonstrably untrue.

1 minute ago, ruggedpeak said:

What is the point of this post and how do you think it helps? I am genuinely interested in how you think it helps, especially given much of it is demonstrably untrue.

For what its worth, I have found that experience to be true on my end when returning my Manor.

I hadn’t heard for a while, I chased and I got a response with the model back and no defensiveness. That’s not to invalidate others experiences, just to share that mine was overall positive

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Because the worst thing I find when working in support is when the people you are trying to help don't respond to you when you are just trying to help them. Conversely it's your job to respond in a timely and efficient manner when a customer asks for an update on their issue.

My experience of AS Support was as I described. When it went quiet, I asked for an update and immediately got one. Even if that update was there being no change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Because the worst thing I find when working in support is when the people you are trying to help don't respond to you when you are just trying to help them. Conversely it's your job to respond in a timely and efficient manner when a customer asks for an update on their issue.

My experience of AS Support was as I described. When it went quiet, I asked for an update and immediately got one. Even if that update was there being no change.

same with me,  it went quiet,  i asked for update they said all fix now we also updated the firmware,  next thing i know i got the loco back in my hands and runs well still  

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

OK, thank you for responding but doesn't really answer the question. But do understand that is not necessarily everyone's experience, and I still don't get how telling people you had a good experience helps those who don't.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

OK, thank you for responding but doesn't really answer the question. But do understand that is not necessarily everyone's experience, and I still don't get how telling people you had a good experience helps those who don't.

Conversely telling people you had a bad experience doesnt help those who have had a good experience.

But people don't like dwelling on good experiences, even if there maybe underlying reasons that made the experience good, that those having a bad one may have missed…

like..

When it went quiet, I asked for an update and immediately got one. Even if that update was there being no change.

Communication is a two way thing.

Seeing red is often a one way thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

I think you are missing what I'm trying to say. You will get a better experience with any customer support by working with them. 

The last thing you want to have to do is send a model away. Therefore, that is also true for any manufacturer. They want your issue fixed as quickly and efficiently as possible.

You packaging it up and sending it to them for them to diagnose the issue isn't quick or efficient. Therefore, if they can diagnose the problem whilst you still have the loco they may have a resolution which you can apply and save all the worry and stress of being without the model.

In my experience working in support, those people who work with me get their issues resolved quickly and efficiently. Those who immediately get upset that I'm asking them for information and fail to provide it don't.

The message therefore is to work with the person who is providing you with support. 🙂

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8