Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Growling said:

Could anyone kindly offer me an expert opinion on renumbering and re-decalling 37043 as 37026 Shapfell, when the latter was large logo in the  Motherwell fleet?

I know the headcode boxes will need yellowing but are there other major detail differences between the 2?

Thanks, Richard.

Given Accurascale are doing both, you can look at their specs. The roof is one clear difference listed.

Roy

• Like 1

Agree with the above re the radiator louvres being blue.

Remember they had great big roof fans drawing large quantities of air through them, so they didn't actually stay that way for very long

Also, as the vertical slats are louvres not grills (the actual grills were removed quite early on), when passing through washing plants they were edge-on to the brushes so the faces didn't get cleaned.

With the high level of detail on these models, I'm disappointed that the only BR green ones have grills unique to the first 5, which were all allocated to the GE section so well off region for me, and so are unsuitable for renumbering to local ones.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Agree with the above re the radiator louvres being blue.

Remember they had great big roof fans drawing large quantities of air through them, so they didn't actually stay that way for very long

Also, as the vertical slats are louvres not grills (the actual grills were removed quite early on), when passing through washing plants they were edge-on to the brushes so the faces didn't get cleaned.

With the high level of detail on these models, I'm disappointed that the only BR green ones have grills unique to the first 5, which were all allocated to the GE section so well off region for me, and so are unsuitable for renumbering to local ones.

Don't worry Ken.  Just take a seat here beside me. I am patiently waiting for the green centre headcode ones, which I am sure will be here in just over eighteen months.  I acknowledge Accurascale have a priority list, but they can't leave the good people of Radyr and Canton wait forever !!!   

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

If it’s any consolation you would not want to see the list of 37’s that are fighting for position on our roadmap :) 

Do please keep any observations and desires coming. We genuinely take it all on board, even the mad stuff :) 

• Like 11
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, McC said:

If it’s any consolation you would not want to see the list of 37’s that are fighting for position on our roadmap :) 

Do please keep any observations and desires coming. We genuinely take it all on board, even the mad stuff :) 

Brings this great quote to mind:

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." - Henry Rollins, American Musician

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, McC said:

I'd love to see a pair of Thornaby blue 37/0s like those in Bill Watson's fantastic Flickr image below.

THREE WEEKS ON FROM PREVIOUS SHOT

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, McC said:

At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs, this is how I see it.

It's great that you are paying attention  to the accuracy of individual locos within a class, but most of us don't know all the ins and outs of when a class got re-engined and what grilles were added or removed, or what got non-standard accident repair and we don't really care about one example that had some experimental extra gizmo added for a while before being removed when they concluded it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Most of us just want one "a green one with small yellow panel" or "a blue one" because that's the period we model, or one of whatever is the lastest oddball short-lived colour scheme that has just been introduced by one the privatised companies.  So we're happy given that the loco has the correct cab etc, so it matches photos taken at some point during that era. 

Most of us don't renumber unless we want more than one, which we probably should as the real railway always have a lot that all look the same at any one time.  But we dont because we  like variety, so we tend to have several locos of completely different classes instead of a fleet all the same!  And as double heading is now more common, there is a certainly a case for two the same but with different numbers.

When you first decide which versions of a class you are planning, you make your best estimate of how many of each version will sell, but it's unrealistic to expect your guess to be right all time.  Whenever you do a rerun of a loco, I think you should aim to always include the main (commonest) liveries/versions that people remember albeit using different running numbers from previous runs, but one-offs and fads probably wouldn't justify a rerun.  Obviously that won't apply if you seriously underestimated the first time (thinking purple deltics).

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, McC said:

We agree, which is why we've never repeated a running number / livery combination (not even on wagons!). 

That's so much easier on wagons, as there were so many of them.  As long as you pick a number in the right range where records exist, you don't really have to refer to photos of an individual wagon, at least with historical wagons.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WILLIAM said:

I'd love to see a pair of Thornaby blue 37/0s like those in Bill Watson's fantastic Flickr image below.

THREE WEEKS ON FROM PREVIOUS SHOT

The sheer rarity of a clean Banger Blue loco, even rarer in pairs!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs, this is how I see it.

It's great that you are paying attention  to the accuracy of individual locos within a class, but most of us don't know all the ins and outs of when a class got re-engined and what grilles were added or removed, or what got non-standard accident repair and we don't really care about one example that had some experimental extra gizmo added for a while before being removed when they concluded it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Most of us just want one "a green one with small yellow panel" or "a blue one" because that's the period we model, or one of whatever is the lastest oddball short-lived colour scheme that has just been introduced by one the privatised companies.  So we're happy given that the loco has the correct cab etc, so it matches photos taken at some point during that era. 

Most of us don't renumber unless we want more than one, which we probably should as the real railway always have a lot that all look the same at any one time.  But we dont because we  like variety, so we tend to have several locos of completely different classes instead of a fleet all the same!  And as double heading is now more common, there is a certainly a case for two the same but with different numbers.

When you first decide which versions of a class you are planning, you make your best estimate of how many of each version will sell, but it's unrealistic to expect your guess to be right all time.  Whenever you do a rerun of a loco, I think you should aim to always include the main (commonest) liveries/versions that people remember albeit using different running numbers from previous runs, but one-offs and fads probably wouldn't justify a rerun.  Obviously that won't apply if you seriously underestimated the first time (thinking purple 

I hope all varieties will be made eventually so everyone can get the ones they want

Edited by aeroplane

5 hours ago, McC said:

In that case here's my order 🤣 37025/035/114/183/260/261/262 all in 1984 condition please 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

28 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Which was it, the 37 or 47 that the paint was supposed to come off in the carriage wash, but didn't and ran in that livery for a few days?

Roy

37093?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As your putting in such a great effort on the car headlight, some centre headcode Scottish variants to keep the split box ones company would go down well and never done since Lima days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

44 minutes ago, SHerr said:

As your putting in such a great effort on the car headlight, some centre headcode Scottish variants to keep the split box ones company would go down well and never done since Lima days.

As they ran in TLF, blue, large logo and Dept Grey, these would have good options for sales.

you can sign me up for a handful 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SHerr said:

Like this one.

37264 at Oban, August 1984 (2).jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1