KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

I know very little about the Fell,except that I do not like these doctored Fell 

However even to me,the fact that each side has the numbers in a different position screams out, without going into nuances of grill positions etc

• Like 3

My loco duly delivered. I now have a dilemma. If I had seen this completed locomotive on the KR stand at Warley back in 2019, I would have purchased it there and then, and probably more than I have for it now. In the interim, I have followed this thread , exploring the different permutations to the real thing. I have also constructed the Judith Edge kit, also in lined green, split coupling rods. I thought this beyond me back in 2019, pleased to say I was wrong. This I believe is accurate for the lined green version.
I couldn’t change the order to the BR black, quite understandable. I have considered repainting one of my models to that black livery….maybe not. I think I shall therefore, sell the KR version for exactly the amount I paid for it. I might have lived with the errors, if I had a different version to run, but I’m not going to compound them by a repaint.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I went back and forth in my head for a long time over this one, as Rails had some of the versions available to pre-order. I am an engine nerd and find the Fell a fascinating subject, I know it's common to deride it but those who do so don't seem to understand the concept of using engine driven blowers to alter the power/torque characteristic of the prime movers and why that matters if you want to use a mech drive. I also find it a very endearing design, quirky and odd but nice in its own way. Given the nature of the prototype this may well be the only RTR model we will ever get. On the upside, it looks like the Fell and appears to be nicely finished. However there are just so many inaccuracies with it, in the end I decided to give it a miss. If I look at some of the criticism directed at other models which have errors which are trivial compared with those on this one I think we have to be consistent and apply a common standard. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 46256 said:

My loco duly delivered. I now have a dilemma. If I had seen this completed locomotive on the KR stand at Warley back in 2019, I would have purchased it there and then, and probably more than I have for it now. In the interim, I have followed this thread , exploring the different permutations to the real thing. I have also constructed the Judith Edge kit, also in lined green, split coupling rods. I thought this beyond me back in 2019, pleased to say I was wrong. This I believe is accurate for the lined green version.
I couldn’t change the order to the BR black, quite understandable. I have considered repainting one of my models to that black livery….maybe not. I think I shall therefore, sell the KR version for exactly the amount I paid for it. I might have lived with the errors, if I had a different version to run, but I’m not going to compound them by a repaint.

You can return it under distance selling regs?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If it really offends my eye, I have a Judith Edge kit to build - if and when I can find the time!

CJI.

You are lucky to have the option to build.

With advancing RSI there is no way I can build a brass kit, and I have some away for building that went off the the professional builder in a year beginning with a 1.....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I thought it was mentioned by either Keith or Michael that we were meant to be getting a set of full rods or the middle section to enable either model to be run as a 4-8-4 or 4-4-4-4?

Anyway... Got home from work to be greeted by a cock up with the shipment company. The DCC ready black and DCC sound green I had ordered (got both with the intention of selling the one I didn't like). Turns out I've been sent 2 green ones. 

The sound model had taken a heavy slap to one corner and damaged got through to the clear sleeve inside.

IMG_20220930_184322.jpg.07ad579c9a12a9f053cf7a4248dc803e.jpg

Looks like both will be going back for replacement and correction to what I ordered. Will contact krm. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That will be interesting - to say the least as both sides have errors.  But they are far fewer on the later side being limited mainly to various grab hold holes not being present.  the earlyside hasa majot error on the roof (no water fillrer area as visible 

As far as I understand it the water fillers were diagonally opposite each other. From a review pic in Model Rail they are both there each side, but at the same end. The pics above also indicate that too.

• RMweb Gold

Rails let me know mine had been posted today. 

It's winging it's way to an old Wellingborough (15A) fireman who remembers the prototype in action or not as the case may be. 

It was often seen on skates having failed on it's way back to Derby...

Must say it will be good to hear what he thinks off it and eventually see it running on his layout.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Will be interesting to see how the modelling press handle this release.   Such a missed opportunity.  Perhaps in the next project some money will be available for a professional researcher.  It had the DNA of what could have been an excellent model (I wanted both a black and a green version) based on the GT3 release,   but....................

I wouldn’t want to be the guy that sanctioned the tooling even with the comments early on in this thread on this forum, he did reply that the loco changed throughout its life!! When mine turns up I will alter it to the late black one, as to the green one I will probably cancel it.
This requires the filler moving on the early side, the window changing for a grill, extra grills for the ends, and the centre coupling rod removed. I hope to make the grills with resin mouldings from a rubber mold, the tank filler and missing exhaust cut outs fabricated and set in. By the way the full length coupling rod should have the jointing outboard of the centre axels, not inboard, perhaps Mike Edge could make one available.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, xm607 said:

I wouldn’t want to be the guy that sanctioned the tooling even with the comments early on in this thread on this forum, he did reply that the loco changed throughout its life!! When mine turns up I will alter it to the late black one, as to the green one I will probably cancel it.
This requires the filler moving on the early side, the window changing for a grill, extra grills for the ends, and the centre coupling rod removed. I hope to make the grills with resin mouldings from a rubber mold, the tank filler and missing exhaust cut outs fabricated and set in. By the way the full length coupling rod should have the jointing outboard of the centre axels, not inboard, perhaps Mike Edge could make one available.

Just buy a kit from Judith Edge.. 

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PMP said:

As far as I understand it the water fillers were diagonally opposite each other. From a review pic in Model Rail they are both there each side, but at the same end. The pics above also indicate that too.

They were indeed symmetrical - i.e diagonally opposite each other.  A big clue on the bodysides is the position of the footstep cut-outs, they're in the right place albeit a handhold or two is missing.  

No real excuse for getting this wrong as the water filler areas are clearly visible in photos and if you can work out which  photos very obviously show the two different sides of the loco (green livery - one side had a left facing lion and the other side had the short lived right facing lion; there are photos of both sides readily available onine)

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They were indeed symmetrical - i.e diagonally opposite each other.  A big clue on the bodysides is the position of the footstep cut-outs, they're in the right place albeit a handhold or two is missing.  

No real excuse for getting this wrong as the water filler areas are clearly visible in photos and if you can work out which  photos very obviously show the two different sides of the loco (green livery - one side had a left facing lion and the other side had the short lived right facing lion; there are photos of both sides readily available onine)

Is there any drawings of the layout of the water tanks, boiler etc? Just thinking there must have been a lot of internal pipe work if there was only the one tank. 

23 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I think that we ARE seeing both sides here - one side has a central grille, the other a window.

If this represents what I will get with my lined green version - which I expect it will be, I will be running it with the later side visible. (I THINK that would be the grille side)?

If it really offends my eye, I have a Judith Edge kit to build - if and when I can find the time!

CJI.

I have an A1 kit for this, complete with Gibson wheels. When I heard about the KR release I thought the unbuilt kit would be a problem for my executors, now I'm not so sure!

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In terms of the factory delivery to what was agreed and signed off for production I think this model will be very good. The quality of the mouldings, fit and finish, paint etc all look fine. I am sure it will run well enough too. However making a good job of a mess still leaves you with a mess, it brings to mind the rather vulgar adage that you can't polish a turd. You can't recover bad research and basic errors (especially on the scale of this model) by making a good job of manufacturing. KR need to get on top of research, it's not like the errors weren't pointed out years ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

In terms of the factory delivery to what was agreed and signed off for production I think this model will be very good. The quality of the mouldings, fit and finish, paint etc all look fine. I am sure it will run well enough too. However making a good job of a mess still leaves you with a mess, it brings to mind the rather vulgar adage that you can't polish a turd. You can't recover bad research and basic errors (especially on the scale of this model) by making a good job of manufacturing. KR need to get on top of research, it's not like the errors weren't pointed out years ago.

And that’s the frustrating thing. It appears the company has the potential to turn out reasonable products, GT3 and Tyne hoppers being physical examples. But they’ve missed the opportunity to bring to the market a quality model of a unique prototype.

Instead they’ve decided to bring to the market a model of unique ‘quality’.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Are you prepared to build it for me, sound fitted? And take less than 25 years?

Les

I’d love to know which Comission builder has a 25 year waiting list, lucky chap!

Are you prepared to pay a sensible price for someone to build it for you though?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dvt Dweller said:

Is there any drawings of the layout of the water tanks, boiler etc? Just thinking there must have been a lot of internal pipe work if there was only the one tank. 

One source has said  that there were two boiler water tanks - one on each side.  that would make considerable sense when you consider the volume of water delivered by a water crane because any internal pipework would have to be of quite large diameter to cope with it and avoid it flooding back.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1