KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Ahhhh, the “it’s only a few minutes work”comment.

(snip)

‘Simple’ CAD changes can sometimes  mean taking a large swathe of a CAD model, deleting and rebuilding it, simply because it is easier. This sort of change can run into hours, then you might have to change several CAD models or drawings, then you have to check them, then someone else might have to check it, then KR has to check, the CAD engineer may have to change it again etc. etc. A few minutes can turn into a whole week before you know it.

(Snip)

I’m not saying that this is the reason that changes weren’t made nor do I agree that they shouldn’t have been made, but it’s never as simple as “you can just change it in a few minutes”.

Simon

At the time of being notified by a customer that there was a prominent  error in the CADs, KR models had stated the CAD design was still work in progress.

There will of course have been a cost to change them, but seeing the chassis in recent videos there clearly was no likely impact on the underlying structure of the model, clearances etc. So that should have been a cross reference check to validate the information and incorporate into the final CADs, and highly unlikely to be at significant cost or design time.

• Like 3

On 09/03/2022 at 16:36, xm607 said:

As I have been quoted, I had better show my history for this loco, N Gauge scratch built early 1980's from my own research, Judith Edge 4mm kit, they probably know more about this loco than many others. O Gauge A1 models special order 7 mm etch built early 2000's, its on the UTube video for Idleford Town.

If KR Models have made a one size fits all model, my craft knife and tools are waiting!!DSCN4419.JPG.77b79a5dde28ccaa709b9aa0cfdfe09b.JPG

DSCN4421.JPG

Herein lies the problem with this truly awful prototype.

It is so ugly, it doesn’t matter how “good” or apparently accurate your starting point is, you’ll never be able to build a convincing model. The thing is so ugly, it can be completely accurate to the 1st June 1956 or any other date but you’ll never make a nice model out of it.

@xm607 - you’ve done as good a job as any I’ve seen but the model is still ugly!

In this respect, the KR models version will do just fine, not that I want such a thing soiling my tracks.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Another little point I noticed with the Fell are the driving wheels. The real thing had bifurcated spokes, or at least on a photograph I have whilst it was under construction!

I'm guessing the KR model doesn't feature these, not that they are very noticeable once the wheels are obscured by the outside frames etc!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Another little point I noticed with the Fell are the driving wheels. The real thing had bifurcated spokes, or at least on a photograph I have whilst it was under construction!

I'm guessing the KR model doesn't feature these, not that they are very noticeable once the wheels are obscured by the outside frames etc!

Not all of the driving wheels, the outer ones are quite normal but the inner axles have a resilient  drive since they are fixed on the gearbox. This is what they look like in my drawings and the springs between the bifurcated spokes are visible below the hornstays. They are very similar to the driving wheels of the NER EE1 No.13.

774465544_ScreenShot2022-03-12at07_53_19.png.eca2e2484b48d2a403dadaf0ef5d34bd.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

Got a royal mail e-mail - parcel from Multi Channel Logistics.  After originally thinking who is that and whether it's a hoax, it finally came to me that it's who KR use - so it could be a Fell that's fallen in the terms of accuracy.

Have you ordered the Consett iron ore wagons as it's likely to be them.

Oh no.   Please tell me they are accurate?  I can't handle any more detail depression and disappointment in a week.  Already on 15mg of Escatalipram!  Otherwise it's looking like:

"Doctor, Doctor give me the news, I've got a bad case of KR Models inaccurate detail blues!"

• Funny 6

Just a thought. When the Fell had four grills on its nose, there wasn’t room for the number there, so it was placed behind the cab door. If the number was there on one side, it would seem logical to place it in the same position on the other side. However, it appears in different positions on each side of the model. That should have been a hint that perhaps it didn’t run with four nose grills on one side and two on the other.

17 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Just a thought. When the Fell had four grills on its nose, there wasn’t room for the number there, so it was placed behind the cab door. If the number was there on one side, it would seem logical to place it in the same position on the other side. However, it appears in different positions on each side of the model. That should have been a hint that perhaps it didn’t run with four nose grills on one side and two on the other.

You might think so - but I could not possibly comment ......... (on the grounds that certain denizens of this thread would accuse me of negativity)!

CJI.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

You might think so - but I could not possibly comment ......... (on the grounds that certain denizens of this thread would accuse me of negativity)!

CJI.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Cheers

Darius

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Not all of the driving wheels, the outer ones are quite normal but the inner axles have a resilient  drive since they are fixed on the gearbox. This is what they look like in my drawings and the springs between the bifurcated spokes are visible below the hornstays. They are very similar to the driving wheels of the NER EE1 No.13.

774465544_ScreenShot2022-03-12at07_53_19.png.eca2e2484b48d2a403dadaf0ef5d34bd.png

Thanks for that Michael. Hadn't noticed it before. I could only see the inner wheels in the photo. Yes, the EE1 was similar but with trifurcated spokes if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Cheers

Darius

See what I mean - condemned even when I don't comment!

CJI.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

See what I mean - condemned even when I don't comment!

CJI.

Never seen Kelly’s Heroes then?

You really ought to get out more.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Scary thing is I must be in triple figures with that movie. Easily....

Watched it a few weeks ago and thought I need some Airfix half tracks!  :laugh:

Psst. The Tigers are modified T34s they found in Yugoslavia.

I don't watch much normal TV, but with classic movies I tend to start watching them if they come on.

:offtopic:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2022 at 10:27, Bucoops said:

Can relate - 

"Can you come into the office for a couple of weeks to help with some data as you like computers".

That was 10 years ago in April, still there!

I hope they are paying you several multiples of the minimum wage for it.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Budgie said:

I hope they are paying you several multiples of the minimum wage for it.

Fortunately yes. I could probably get more elsewhere but as it's entirely self taught with no qualifications...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...