KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

19 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But noticeably they still didn't go for the Fell and maybe one reason is that it would be something of a moving target to properly and economically research in order to create a model to their standards.

Possibly also that most of their oddball models can use a traditional diesel drivetrain. Not so the Fell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Some good news for a change I spoke with my 3D printer last night in fact it was quite a long conversation about the fell as I’m about to move house which I’ve been trying to do since March so I can’t do anything at the moment about a putting right kit he has asked me to send one of my fells to him and he will design the missing water filler and turbo exhaust I also mentioned the doors /grills that were missing he is willing to look at both of them so I now it’s frustrating but if any one who wants a kit can be patient I’ll try my best to get one sorted also has any one got any drawings of both incarnations of the fell so he can see what needs sorting thank you 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

My black version 4-8-4 with sound turned up yesterday. The word “happy” has been used a lot for people who keep their model. I am not happy. All the howlers which have been pointed out are a shame when more careful research and preparation could so easily have produced a much more accurate model.

Then the running was awful. I could have sound or movement but not both at once. I followed Sam’s Trains suggestion of loosening the keeper plate and adjusting the pick ups (that is the sort of thing Sam is good at). It made matters worse – no response to the controls at all or, if there was, a lot of stalling. I persisted, trying DC as well as DCC and things started to come right. The two supercharging engines (F1) start one at a time. Then F3 starts the four main engines one at a time. There are four horns depicted at each end and the sound is suitably raucous. Apply the power and off it goes, running more smoothly at low speed than the new Hornby 9F shown in a video on that topic.

The lights are a disappointing mess. Press F0 and the single light on top of the bonnet comes on, as do two tail lights at the opposite end. They are directional. F0 again and nothing happens – perhaps this setting was intended to turn the tail lights off but someone made a boo-boo. F0 again and the lower front lights come on. There are two white lights each side of centre and (get this) the tail lights come on but changed to white! A final press of F0 turns the lights off. All very weird. Four (only four) black hinged headcode discs are provided with fixing spikes but no holes to fit them into and no obvious place to drill holes. I think I’ll ignore these and use the single bonnet-top light, which is the code for a stopping train and perhaps bluetack something over the tail lights or just leave the lights off and punch out some plain white discs.

There are directional cablights which go on and off with a click worthy of a circuit breaker. They go out when the machine starts to move. I can’t blame KR for this as it’s a fairly normal modern practice, which I find odd. More realistic to turn them off before starting. Other sound and controls are included, the more unusual include a wheeltapper, a highly satisfying detonator and a very useful uncoupling shuffle. F5 is a manual brake and F6 and emergency brake. Once the locomotive gets up to a gallop (it seems gallop to with the coupling rod balancing weights spinning) I’ve had to use F6 more than once. Note that F6 brings it to a stop quickly but doesn’t stop it dead like the emergency stop on a controller.

Why only a brake pipe? Marsden/Fenn depict only a brake pipe, so presumably that is correct. Perhaps those in charge didn’t expect it to last into winter, so there would be no need to provide a steam heat pipe!

All in all, I’m content to keep the model and prepared to concentrate on its good points.

A final thought. Explain to onlookers that the two auxiliary engine start one at a time, then the four main engines one at a time. Watch their lips going, “One, two; one, two three four!”  😆

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

For those who would want to correct it (not myself) I do wonder if it's a perfect a NIU models job to improve it. If so I'd message them as they will often do stuff based on demand.

• RMweb Premium

10100 may have been a one off prototype but it worked for quite a few years in normal passenger service, presumably also with the steam heat working.

Incidentally the main engine start controls were not at both ends, each pair had to be started from the adjacent cab.

I doubt very much if any of the electric marker lights were ever used and oil tail lamps were still compulsory may years after it was scrapped.

One more thing (amongst very many) which I have just noticed in the model photos is the red painted fans inside the radiator grille - just one small snag, the fans were actually behind the radiators (as usual) and so not visible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

51 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Why only a brake pipe? Marsden/Fenn depict only a brake pipe, so presumably that is correct. Perhaps those in charge didn’t expect it to last into winter, so there would be no need to provide a steam heat pipe!

All in all, I’m content to keep the model and prepared to concentrate on its good points.

A final thought. Explain to onlookers that the two auxiliary engine start one at a time, then the four main engines one at a time. Watch their lips going, “One, two; one, two three four!”  😆

It certainly had a train heating boiler. It was a fire in the train heating boiler that eventually killed the thing off. (CJL)

Edited by VIA185

Just now, VIA185 said:

It certainly a train heating boiler. It was a fire in the train heating boiler that eventually killed the thing off. (CJL)

Ah yes, of course. I forgot about that. Modelled during the summer, when steam heat pipes were often removed? Certainly not as eye-catching as the fan, which looks super. A pity it’s wrong!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Here are the only two photos I can find online which really do show the two sides of the loco albeit they were taken about a year(?) apart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_10100#/media/File:Derby_works_fell_diesel_geograph-2390424-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

https://www.anistr.com/media/6c975350-8346-440d-928a-af8c162fb6f7-diesel-loco-fell-2-d-2-10100-derby

How do we know they are the two opposite sides - look at the lion in the BR crest.  in the first photo it is facing left but in the second photo it is facing right.  Yes, the Fell got one of the short lived right facing lions when it was repainted into green livery and that was never corrected.

What about the two photos upthread, taken en-route to, or returning from, a technical exhibition?

Since the train in which it is photographed is identical, as are the lighting conditions, it must be a 99.999% certainty that the two photos show opposite sides of 10100.

CJI.

14 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

...and if you want to know what it's innards looked like, try this Eagle Comic cutaway, showning the loco in original condition (click on linked photo to take you to Flickr):

TRAIN E BR EX LMR FELL DIESEL MECHANICAL EXPERIMENTAL LOCO No 10100 - EAGLE CUTAWAY V3 No 9 1952-06-06 - ART BY L ASHWELL WOOD

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That's a DJM gearbox. 😉

You might jest but I recall that is very similar to how Airfix geared their Royal Scot

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Jonesy38 said:

Mine won't move from a stand with the sound on, everything ok if you turn the sound on whilst it's moving. Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Yes, Press F1 first, then F3 for the Paxmans before movement

hi all just spoke to the chap who is helping bring you a put right kit. Once i have moved home i aim to get the model to him in order for him to go over and get the correct diamentions / radiouses for parts needed  depending on the grill/doors they may be done in etching depending on the viewing of the model the kit will cover early one and late one br black or green as i say it may be a while but hes enthusiastic as well as i am so hopfully both of us can bring you a kit to help for the black one you will get a choice of 4 doors to replace the grills on one side or 4 grills should you wish to make it later in black plus all the bits to make it right . the green one will have all the bits to make it right 4 grills for were the doors are on one side plus all the bits to make it right .mike

Edited by corsair
added more to write up
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, VIA185 said:

It certainly had a train heating boiler. It was a fire in the train heating boiler that eventually killed the thing off. (CJL)

The BR withdrawal notice from August 1958 only mentions "excessive maintenance costs", boiler fires were not uncommon in many other diesel locos.

The photo above in Manchester Central throws up some more questions - the top marker light does appear to be on in this shot but more intriguing is the headlight. When was this fitted and was there one at the other end?

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The BR withdrawal notice from August 1958 only mentions "excessive maintenance costs", boiler fires were not uncommon in many other diesel locos.

The photo above in Manchester Central throws up some more questions - the top marker light does appear to be on in this shot but more intriguing is the headlight. When was this fitted and was there one at the other end?

Look closer, Mike; it's a grubby disc - not a headlight.

John Isherwood.

@corsair Well done for looking into the possibility of a put right kit! However, don't forget there is a centre grille missing on the late black/green version too (where KR have a window).

PS: The icing on the cake would be the provision of a set of two builders plates too!! 🙂

(I can show a detailed picture of what these looked like if you want?)

Edited by billy_anorak59

Yep got the centre grill in mind works plate would be nice if we go for etchings for the grills we could add works plates thanks for that im trying to get a kit sorted for which ever configeration modelers want covering both liverys 

• Like 1