RMweb

New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

I think this is the crux of the issue, I'm very grateful that I can go and visit my grandparents etc again as Covid is pretty much a distant memory now and it's all too easy to forget that this may not or is not the case the world over. From what I understand China is still riddled with it. 

We are all riddled with it, however its political decisions that determine how its handled. We are free, due to tried and tested vaccines.

China of course has its own vaccine, but its efficacy was questionable, 3bn doses later its protection level is still probably very low at this stage.

So that leaves a choice, between creating a new vaccine, or buying the western vaccines, or locking up the population until some level of immunity exists.

Big Pharma, arent so charitable towards a country of 1bn people with a reputation for copying technology, so its going to cost China very big $$$ to import that lot… but of course, no western vaccines are approved for use in China…

And internally, telling its populace, what they already know, that their vaccine isnt so good afterall, isnt going to go down well in a hardline country that values maintaining a face of being the wise decision maker, and of course doesnt help Chinese exports of that vaccine either.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chinas-leaders-communist-party-officials-vaccinated-against-covid-19-official-2022-07-23/

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

On 27/05/2022 at 09:09, Bulleidboy100 said:

I am glad  I did pre-order R3837 BR Standard 2MT 78022 (Hornby Club Exclusive) at £149.99. A tremendous saving on the latest quoted prices.

The wierd thing about that one is as far as I am aware they never actually told the public (on social media etc.) it was on there, and it seemed to disappear as quietly as it appeared.

Mine is still showing on my Hornby account though, and as has been said if it comes for £150 then awesome. If they put the price up I'll have to make my mind up at the time.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

The wierd thing about that one is as far as I am aware they never actually told the public (on social media etc.) it was on there, and it seemed to disappear as quietly as it appeared.

Mine is still showing on my Hornby account though, and as has been said if it comes for £150 then awesome. If they put the price up I'll have to make my mind up at the time.

China isnt complaining of rip roaring inflation.

So i’d imagine the factory costs havent changed that much, at least in my industry factory prices in China are still relatively stable, its time thats the issue.

Putting some real stats behind it…

https://www.worlddata.info/asia/china/inflation-rates.php

of course Brexit, £ decline, Interest rates, shipping costs and the costs of supporting a business in the UK (especially with less product actually arriving to cover those overheads) all impact the final price…

in this economy, minimising expense is probably of greater importance than pumping up margin on a discretionary spend product, unless youve lots of cash to see you through it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I saw on a 'That Model Railway Guy' video on youtube that they honoured the price for his pre-order Hush Hush when there was a rise, stands to reason that you should too although as you say one to wait and see what happens at the time. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Well I was thinking that it could be that they are prioritising other stuff that is doing better on presale? Yes they will end up making them, and yes they will want to recoup their investment, but they may also be thinking that stuff that is selling quickly on pre order is the fastest way to turn the cash around.

Not saying these haven't sold well or anything, it is pure speculation.

I think the presale will be good on these, although the conversation on the price point detering people might also have a large impact on sales. Hornby though have a massive track record at second batches being done soon after headline items and I think thats whats happening here. 

10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The class 2 was announced and due for delivery before Covid.

Not quite.

It was announced in Jan 20, and was due in Dec 20. This is in the first post of this thread.

So it was announced when there will have been COVID in China, and the due date was far enough after COVID got everywhere to have impacted it.

I do think however that they are prioritising other things.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not quite.

It was announced in Jan 20, and was due in Dec 20. This is in the first post of this thread.

So it was announced when there will have been COVID in China, and the due date was far enough after COVID got everywhere to have impacted it.

I do think however that they are prioritising other things.

I strongly suspect the anniversary related models would've taken priority, for example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2022 at 19:54, stewartingram said:

I must admit, one of these was on my A-list, but my interest has waned.

Me too.   When this was first announced I pre-ordered 78047 as the full size prototype had been based at Hawick shed, just at the bottom of the hill from where I live.  After Hornby failed to deliver on my Captain Tom pre-order I cancelled all my other pre-orders with them.  In the meantime, the price has increased significantly at a time when purchasing power has reduced and I am now into my seventies.     Would still be nice to have and I may yet buy this model eventually, but only if it appears in the bargain bin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Might be a long shot in terms of speculation but is there a possibility that the 78XXX is being upgraded to 21-pin? May be some sort of explanation as to why it's been delayed. IIRC the 9F was originally announced as 8-pin but has been upgraded along with the P2 and 46245 "City of London" (If the website is to be believed that is. AFAIK previous releases of the retooled Duchess have always been 8-pin). Again just a simple theory but I would sure like an explanation as to why the second batch is due for release Spring 2023 (78006 and 78054) before the original first batch (78000,78047,78010), Autumn 2023. Hopefully that's just an error and its the other way around but again that's wishful thinking on my behalf. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the greater schemes this is normal for the hobby. That doesn't mean I don't find delays annoying but there are plenty of models which have been delayed an awful lot longer than this one has and at the end of the day there are plenty of other items coming out to drain the pennies. I think model companies are between a rock and a hard place, if they announce early they face being slammed if there are delays, if they announce when the models are ready to ship then they risk facing accusations of nefarious behaviour to undermine rivals (some of the comments I've seen on-line about the Bachmann Class 37 are not very edifying). Personally I much prefer the way Bachmann are doing it now, but I also remember a time not that long ago when Bachmann had allowed some of their new items to languish for many many years between being announced and hitting the shelves. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Surprised to see NEW the 9F in shops ahead of the 78XXX model. Commercial reasons ? 

Considering  the 78XXX was announced several years ago now. 

I can see why a company would do that, the 9F is a bit of a cult locomotive type and a lot of people with minimal interest in steam will want one. I suspect the 9F will be a banker for Hornby and be one of those models like the A3 and Duchess which is always around the Hornby catalogue somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Strangely, the additional versions, which I think were listed in the 2020 catalogue, are currently listed as coming out in early 2023 with the 2019 versions currently listed as autumn 2023. The original versions have a lower price than the later versions, but many a price change can be made, so question is do I change my order for a 2020 version. I think I'll wait till they arrive.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I can see why a company would do that, the 9F is a bit of a cult locomotive type and a lot of people with minimal interest in steam will want one. I suspect the 9F will be a banker for Hornby and be one of those models like the A3 and Duchess which is always around the Hornby catalogue somewhere.

Also I expect with a loco with competing tooling (Bachmann in this case) it is more important to be fast to market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Also I expect with a loco with competing tooling (Bachmann in this case) it is more important to be fast to market.

In Bachmann's case for example the cl37, they certainly beat accurascale to market, but I don't think it (appeared) to appreciably dent the pre orders of acc, as so many commented 1 on price difference and 2, with the 55 having just arrived in shelves, they were confident that the acc cl37 would be an impressive loco in its own right. 

Paul. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul_sterling said:

In Bachmann's case for example the cl37, they certainly beat accurascale to market, but I don't think it (appeared) to appreciably dent the pre orders of acc, as so many commented 1 on price difference and 2, with the 55 having just arrived in shelves, they were confident that the acc cl37 would be an impressive loco in its own right. 

Paul. 

it’s always better to be right than rushed. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The 78xxx is just about the only Hornby loco I'm interested in.

Mostly I'm into N gauge; the Dapol BB/WC has the longest delay of all (except for those models which were officially cancelled). A recent news story on World of Railways gives its suggested arrival as 2024, stating that it was first announced in 2018. But that actually refers to its re-announcement after being in abeyance… it was first announced back in 2011 when Dave Jones was still there. Whatever you might think about him, had he stayed it would have been out by now. And this is a popular prototype, which could legitimately be used with short trains on smaller layouts.

Should one of their competitors beat them to market, they will regret delaying. In the case of the OO 78xxx, it's probably unlikely that another manufacturer will produce one (but not impossible — it did well in one of the last Wish List polls).